Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Gen3 with an earth rod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to know if anyone has a Tesla Wall Charger Gen3 with an earth rod rather than a separate pen fault device? I’m told an earth rod is the best form of pen fault protection, but it does not seem to be a popular choice.

I had an EVSE (not a Tesla Wall Connector) installed with an earth rod a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely nothing wrong with using one - it just seems there's a trend among some Electrician's to take the easier (for them) & more expensive route of installing a GARO or Matt-E unit.

Reactions: Adopado
So I like the video as I trust the content but I must admit. I am lost to the best solution! I have an earth rod from my current charger but its right next to my incoming supply. A PEN device such as that made by Viridian would be great but it’s sold out. What other options do I have? Any recommendations?

Garo make one but I’m told it’s rubbish as it only measures fluctuations in voltage and is not true PEN fault detection.

I was told if my current earth rod is good and especially as a Renault Zoe is charging from my current charger, as they are really fussy about earth, it’s fine and will be used when he comes back to install my gen3 in April

Just to illustrate the confusion in the industry on this
Electrician one - “just use your earth rod”
Electrician two - “earth rods don’t work, use a PEN device but I can’t recommend any though and I won’t supply”
Electrician three - “you don’t need either”