Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two dings...what for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, with FSD Beta using Navigation, the car, as it was getting onto a a highway acceleration lane, and again, as it exited the highway onto a deceleration lane gave two dings (same tone). It wasn't the soft, pleasing beep (like on an airplane), nor was it the harsh (you messed up!) ding, but somewhere in between (sorry, best way to describe it).
In any event, there wasn't anything that needed attention, no risk, etc.
Anyone know what two same tone dings means?
First one to answer correctly gets an NFT of this thread!
Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: VanFriscia
Today, with FSD Beta using Navigation, the car, as it was getting onto a a highway acceleration lane, and again, as it exited the highway onto a deceleration lane gave two dings (same tone). It wasn't the soft, pleasing beep (like on an airplane), nor was it the harsh (you messed up!) ding, but somewhere in between (sorry, best way to describe it).
Thanks!
I usually hear this when FSD Beta becomes very uncertain and it comes with a small message with two small hands and some red in it, saying to apply hands to the wheel or something of that sort (it disappears quickly so would have to review the video). There is a turn on my commute from 56E to I-15S where it will just immediately disengage with this beep beep and the warning, regardless of whether I am applying torque to the wheel during the turn or not. It just can't do that turn (it's a quite unusual freeway interchange), and it will give this beep beep warning and then immediately give up.

But I've seen it at other times too - it will very likely do it from a stop if you have been looking at your phone while stopped at a light, for example (yeah, shame on me - and this excellent nag has been successful in ensuring I don't do that, even for a moment, anymore - which is correct, as I should not be using my phone while stopped in a line of traffic at a light, as it reduces situational awareness - and it is illegal).

Last edited:
Nope, not using phone, nor was AP disengaging. I think it might have been a very wide lane (as the travel lane was preparing to become two, with the addition of the acceleration and deceleration lanes).
Really good of Tesla to design a warning where the user has no clue what they're being warned about! /sarcasm

Nope, not using phone, nor was AP disengaging.

I wasn't saying that those things had to happen to get this particular warning. I'm just saying that those situations I think can reproduce that same tone, and likely the same warning. I've seen it happen, again, when FSD is very uncertain of how to proceed (and also when it doesn't think you're actively involved enough, potentially - but this is not required). It doesn't necessarily result in disengagement.

The tone in these cases is as described - not quiet and gentle, but also not the full alarm of FSD panic. And I think it's two quick beeps.

Reactions: haroldo
Maybe Tesla is just messing with us. Throwing beeps randomly, so we have to scamble around trying to decipher. Wouldn't surprise me. That's something I would do if I was a centibillionaire
The ultimate easter egg

Thanks!
Does it have a notification recorded in the Service/Notifications in the car?

2 beep tones is usually when AP gets uncertain of the current road conditions and anticipates needing the driver to take over. You might see a 'hands on the wheel' alert on the screen. Often the situation goes by and AP is fine. Sometimes it will quit and play the really harsh tone.

The really harsh tone comes as a set of 5 half-step chords. This is the tone played for forward collision warnings and also when AP absolutely doesn't know what to do and actively disengages itself. In the latter case, the 5-chord tone plays 3 times in succession. I believe AP jail is also this 3x 5-tone, but it's only happened to me once and I wasn't paying attention to how many times it played :D