Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two months in ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 about two months ago ... and so far, the ownership has been one big lump of disappointment.

Both the car and, more importantly, the service experience have been quite sub-par. The car has spent more than 50% of the time in the shop, at first having a number of manufacturing issues remedied (again and again) and then having some of the service-caused damage repaired. My car was "repaired" to a laughable state, was scratched to *sugar* all over and generally came back worse than it was when it went in. I spent about one full work-week to date dealing with Tesla, driving to the SC and back over and over. I tried to be as accommodating as possible, hoping that they would just do their job, hand me my proverbial keys and send me on my way. It turns out that's not how it works, at least not in my area.

In the process I met some enthusiastic yet not very effective folks, others who obviously couldn't care less about the outcome of their work and others who were no different from the "shysterest" of dealership service managers. I sort of lucked out in the end, at a different SC, having found a tech who gave a crap and service management who actually allowed me to work with the tech directly to diagnose some of my issues. The car is still worse than it was, in a few ways, the original SC is still trying to weasel out of repairing the damage they caused and the whole experience has completely soured me on Tesla. Yes, I know their manufacturing is sketchy, I know the product is far from being finished, I know I'm a beta tester and I'm fine with all of those, provided that they give their best when it comes to taking care of my vehicle. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and I don't see how it will eventually happen, given their very centralized and non-competitive structure.

I know I'm a pretty lonely voice among all the cheerleaders, perhaps my "here's money, give me a car that works and fix it when it doesn't" expectation is inappropriate in Tesla's context. Very disappointing!

My experience after two months has been awesome. The North Houston service center was great at delivery and the two times I went back for body work (that was my fault).

My daily commute is 50 miles each way. The Model 3 feels like a sanctuary every time I get into it and start listening to my playlist. Best thing I've ever bought for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobAbooey
I took delivery of my Model 3 about two months ago ... and so far, the ownership has been one big lump of disappointment.

Both the car and, more importantly, the service experience have been quite sub-par. The car has spent more than 50% of the time in the shop, at first having a number of manufacturing issues remedied (again and again) and then having some of the service-caused damage repaired. My car was "repaired" to a laughable state, was scratched to *sugar* all over and generally came back worse than it was when it went in. I spent about one full work-week to date dealing with Tesla, driving to the SC and back over and over. I tried to be as accommodating as possible, hoping that they would just do their job, hand me my proverbial keys and send me on my way. It turns out that's not how it works, at least not in my area.

In the process I met some enthusiastic yet not very effective folks, others who obviously couldn't care less about the outcome of their work and others who were no different from the "shysterest" of dealership service managers. I sort of lucked out in the end, at a different SC, having found a tech who gave a crap and service management who actually allowed me to work with the tech directly to diagnose some of my issues. The car is still worse than it was, in a few ways, the original SC is still trying to weasel out of repairing the damage they caused and the whole experience has completely soured me on Tesla. Yes, I know their manufacturing is sketchy, I know the product is far from being finished, I know I'm a beta tester and I'm fine with all of those, provided that they give their best when it comes to taking care of my vehicle. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and I don't see how it will eventually happen, given their very centralized and non-competitive structure.

I know I'm a pretty lonely voice among all the cheerleaders, perhaps my "here's money, give me a car that works and fix it when it doesn't" expectation is inappropriate in Tesla's context. Very disappointing!
Well, sounds like your close to having a lemon.

Your not alone, see my signature.

We are just part of the September *sugar* show.

Tesla has moved on, they want us to as well.

I'm picking up my car tomorrow, we will see how it looks. Service manage said there's a little surprise in the trunk (HPWC). That's a nice gesture for sure, I'm still going to go over the car critically though. After all I'm paying a premium price for a non PUP P3D- at this point, a $500 HPWC is nothing compared to the 20" wheels, brakes, spoiler, and pedals I paid for but I am not getting.

Last edited:
While I know there are lots of folks with issues such as yours, my experience is quite different. I picked up my car late September in Dedham MA. Me and about 160 other people that day. With about 20 people waiting to pick up their cars while I was there all but one had, literally, no show stoppers.

That one person had no car, not a bad car.

The (seriously overwhelmed) staff were all great and trying hard to provide a great experience and handle the relatively minor problems people had.

Was it perfect? No. But as a long time BMW owner I can say BMW was no better.

Two months, 3,500 miles, and two road trips later and my two complaints are the auto windshield wipers (hopefully fixed in next release) and the confirmation that all season tires suck. Period.

Reactions: VT_EE
While I know there are lots of folks with issues such as yours, my experience is quite different. I picked up my car late September in Dedham MA. Me and about 160 other people that day. With about 20 people waiting to pick up their cars while I was there all but one had, literally, no show stoppers.

That one person had no car, not a bad car.

The (seriously overwhelmed) staff were all great and trying hard to provide a great experience and handle the relatively minor problems people had.

Was it perfect? No. But as a long time BMW owner I can say BMW was no better.

Two months, 3,500 miles, and two road trips later and my two complaints are the auto windshield wipers (hopefully fixed in next release) and the confirmation that all season tires suck. Period.
Well I was in Dedham at the end of September too and my car ended up still being in CA. Failed deliveries since, along with car finally delivered in poor quality. So it’s been 2 months and no car yet. New delivery date for 12/21, which is getting exceedingly close to end of year...

Sorry for your experience that is a shame. Mine has not been perfect but best thing I have done for myself as OP said. If they keep trying to fix a safety related problem get them to buyback through lemon process and get another one.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I posted about my needles wait at pickup and the reaction was meh. The minor cosmetic issues were dismissed as take it and move on. Expectations from many fellow members are relatively low which is fine, I'm just not that guy.

I've bought Porsche, BMW, and other lux brands but my Tesla experience so far is on level with the worst of the econobox dealerships but without the finance guy that tries to sell you extended warranty and Lo-Jack. Service is backed up unbelievably. Though I'll say the service advisor was enthusiastic and tries to do everything they can to help.

I love the car, hate the experience. Elon should have started a Tesla certification program to third party shops with Tesla oversight. This way he would have minimal capital investment and ensure a high level of service satisfaction. I understand he doesn't want traditional stealerships, but what if he had franchised service centers? If Tesla wants to grow, then they will need to have a tenfold increase in service capacity.

I love the car, hate the experience. Elon should have started a Tesla certification program to third party shops with Tesla oversight. This way he would have minimal capital investment and ensure a high level of service satisfaction. I understand he doesn't want traditional stealerships, but what if he had franchised service centers? If Tesla wants to grow, then they will need to have a tenfold increase in service capacity.

Ive been saying the same for a while. If they don’t do that, they will simply fail.

I’ve had my car for a little over 3 months and almost 2000 miles now. Aside from some door seal bulges (one on the front passenger door and one in the back passenger door), barely noticeable door panel lift on one door, and a few minor paint nibs, my car seems to be solid and great so far. It is missing 2 of the wheel well clips on each of the rear wheel wells but those should get put in whenever I end up needing to go in for service (hopefully just for the first tire rotation?).

Driving the car is great and I’ve grown to appreciate autopilot more than I original did. I also love the cheaper cost of driving compared to an ICE vehicle.

My experience after two months has been awesome. The North Houston service center was great at delivery and the two times I went back for body work (that was my fault).

My daily commute is 50 miles each way. The Model 3 feels like a sanctuary every time I get into it and start listening to my playlist. Best thing I've ever bought for myself.
I agree, after working a 12 hour day I look forward to my 1 hour commute home. Sorry for ur bad luck with the car

Lemon Law it. Some cars are built at quitting time. You got one.