Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two new key cards help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi there,

I lost both my new cards and bought two new ones. If there anyway to activate them with the app? Everything I read says you have to have one of the old key cards.

Thanks for your help
Stew
AFAIK, no, any activation of new keys (including phone and fob) requires a least one existing key card. However, if your phone has NFC, it is worth trying to see if that would work (just turn on NFC and the Tesla App and use it like a key card).

hi there,

I lost both my new cards and bought two new ones. If there anyway to activate them with the app? Everything I read says you have to have one of the old key cards.

Thanks for your help
Stew

You will likely need tesla to help you with this (like a Tesla SC or something). Otherwise, anyone at all could order a $15-20 keycard and steal any tesla they wanted (if it was super easy to pair a keycard to a car without having a currently paired keycard in your possession).

Reactions: rpiotro
NFC stands for near field communication (it's basically how the key cards work too):
What Is NFC on Your Phone and How Do You Use It? | Digital Trends

Basically any iPhone starting with the iPhone 6 has it.

For Android Phones support varies depending on device, but usually there is an icon in the notification shade, if not, you would have to dig into the settings as per that article and look for the setting:
AndroidPIT-best-ways-to-use-nfc-5-w810h462.jpg

As far as I'm aware NFC lock/unlock only works with Android phones
If you have Android phone, Tesla app installed, NFC enabled on the phone and the phone setup as key as you would normally
You can hold the phone up to the drivers side B pillar to unlock/lock the car
The same way the key card works

Edit:
Well I just went out to my car to see if I could add a key card by using my Android phone
It's not unlocking or locking my car on the drivers B pillar like it used to
I tried reboot my phone and the car, turning NFC off and on

Car 2021.44.5 Tesla app 4.3.1-777 Android 12

This should be separate topic but I thought it might be helpful
in case anyone tries it and it's also not working for them

Last edited:
NFC lock/unlock is working again - now I have to unlock phone for NFC to work

I tried adding a new key card using my Android phone as the key
Placing my phone near the cup holder as you would with a key card
Sadly it does nothing, adding new key card does not progress