Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two weeks and still no refund from cancelled order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my second Model S a few weeks ago but got caught up in the 100d and available textile seating not being allowed as a change. So I decided to cancel my order within the cancellation window. I figured I don't need to settle when buying a $100k+ vehicle. I'll wait and see what happens in the future.

Anyway, it has now been two weeks and still no refund. Is there an expected time frame for a cancellation to complete and funds to be returned? This should be like waiting 4-6 weeks like you do for a rebate. What takes so long?

In my experience it took the better part of 4 weeks for a refund on a cancelled order, and about 6 weeks for a refund when I accidentally over paid on a purchase. (My loan with the bank exceeded my actual balance, to Tesla had to mail me back a check-- and that took 6 weeks). I'd say you're still a few weeks away from that refund, sadly.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I would hazard a guess that about four weeks is the norm. You cannot believe the amount of paperwork involved with a company--any company--that is needed to issue a check. Tesla likely processes thousands of invoices per week for everything from routine operating expenses to supplies to materials to rent to Supercharger utility bills. The list is quite large, and the invoices come from all over the globe. These invoices must be approved by a responsible party. They must be coded to the proper account. They must be input into their accounts payable system. The input must be verified and double-checked that the proper authorizations are in place. Then checks are then printed and the checks are matched with the source document. Then the checks are decollated and run through the signing machine, stuffed into an envelope, run through the postage meter and delivered somehow to the US Postal Service.

***This is how we did things when I was a controller thirty-some years ago. It is likely computerization has improved upon these processes to a degree. That said, the accounts payable system is ripe for embezzlement and defalcation unless strict internal controls are in place. It is the internal control procedures that take up the most amount of time. Another culprit might also be cash flow. Companies cannot delay issuing payroll checks, but they frequently drag their feet in issuing vendor checks when cash is tight or forecasted to be tight.