Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 Mennekes cable pin blown!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip. Where can this be done?

Pretty much anyone with a hydraulic crimping tool, with the right size hex dies, can do it. Usually need a set of Torx drivers to undo the connector screws too, most often then are T15.

A normal ratchet-type hand crimp tool won't be man enough to make the very good connection needed, and the terminals must absolutely NOT be soldered to the wires, as the solder will both wick up the wire, so very probably causing a fatigue fracture later, and it will damage the wire insulation, as the pins are pretty beefy and will absorb a lot of heat if anyone tried to solder them up (has been done, I've had to deal with the aftermath of someone trying to solder these connections).

Update to cable

1. Still waiting to hear from Tesla......Grrrr
2. Wallpod that cause it is out of action at work!
3. Work said they will try and get me a new cable :D (bonus)
4. The blue Mennekes cable sockets are filled with resin so are completely unrepairable :/ (you can only chop the plug off and put a new one one!
5. Cable does work but looks sketchy. May wait for new one to do nr 4 above
6. Crimp tool costs about £30 for an 8T tool
7. Plugs from China cost around £30-40 or if bought locally are around £60-80 (they seem to be the same )

8. May do a ifixit thread when I do a repair so people can see what not to do!