Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

typical long distance range 2016 Tesla Model X P90D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what should be typical long distance driving range if 100% charged?
(maximizing range by driving ~65mph?)
what should vehicle typically indicate if 100% charged?
assume low mileage vehicle now & how would range change later?
thanks in advance. regards.

Last edited:
My 2016 P90D Model X with 22 inch rims shows a 226 mile range to 100%. That being said, I have never made it to 200+ miles before needing to recharge. For my car, it seems like I have to go about 55mph with the climate control off in order to hit 200+ miles on a full charge. Tough to do in Texas when the speed limits are higher than that and you almost always need climate control on.

• Informative
Reactions: geordi and aesculus
thanks for response 👍 👍 👍
as an EV newbie I thought the higher the model #
within the same year, the higher the range, but I guess not...?
am looking at used low mileage
2016 S 70 238 range
2016 X P90D & you say 200-226 range
supposedly some 100-100D-P100D have 290 range...?

2016 S 70 238 range
100D (or later called Long Range) range depends on year and how fast you drive. These will have 10%-15% degradation in the first couple of their years already as well.
You will not want to drive that max range so maybe multiple by 80 or 90%. Better to do 70-75% for faster travel including shorter/faster charging.

Go here and plug in all the years and do a 'compare' Compare Side-by-Side

You have several thread that have given you much of this data. You are likely going to be disappointed unless you get a 100D/LR for your "US road trips".

Re: you - "I will often use for US road trips;"

ZXHGJg1.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind you should only rarely charge to 100%, and only when getting right onto the highway. Going from 10%-75% probably takes as long as going from 75%-100%, if not longer. I only charge to 95%+ at the beginning of a trip or if overnight at a destination charger, so I can make maximum travel during the first leg. I arrive at the chargers between 6% and 10% and then charge to 65-75% before heading to the next charger which is usually 2+ hours. I travel almost always between 75-80 mph when possible. I just drove from MA to FL. My first stop was 120 miles, using 62% of my charge. I only charged to 61% charging for 20 min. Next leg was 100 miles, using 42% to 19%. The longest leg I did was 207.1 miles, 2hour 50min, going from 93% overnight at a destination charger all the way down to 1% which is not advisable. This was traveling mostly at 80 mph when I could, but with traffic my average ended up being 74 mpg. So range is very dependent on speed, usage of heat, and extra weight. I drive with Chill mode, and Range mode. I have kept details of all charges, miles, etc. since new. My highest single leg was 231.7 miles going from 100% down to 10%, and this took me 3h 46m, from south of Orlando to Brunswick, GA. Averaged only 61 mph, but would have been driving up to 80mph when possible. I have many legs over the years above 200, most going south on I-95 from VA to SC, but not all were there. I know this is a lot of data, but maybe it would help. Mine is a 2018 MX 100D with about 65,000 miles and last I checked, about 6% degredation.

2016 S 70 238 range
Also you are not comparing apples to apple. A 90D on an S is rated about 295 miles (new) compared to an X which will be much lower with the same battery size.

Going from 10%-75%...My first stop was 120 miles, using 62% of my charge.
I only charged to 61% charging for 20 min....
Mine is a 2018 MX 100D with about 65,000 miles and last I checked, about 6% degredation.
Thanks for details which are very enlightening. (& for other responses)
Would it be correct to say your average all day long distance driving
is in segments of 120 miles with 20 minute stops...& therefore
look like: overnight-120mi-20min-120mi-20min-lunch-120mi-20min-120mi-overnight
or 480mi-60min or 600mi-80min total? (one charge stop includes lunch) ❓❓❓
Most of my road trip driving includes photo stops but frequency of 20 min stops if I
pursue suggested 75%-10% scheme is concerning & reason to find greatest range SC01-FUSC.
regards

Last edited:
is in segments of 120 miles with 20 minute stops.
That is a rough estimate of how it could play out. But I think a missing element in your thinking is that you need to stop where the superchargers are. I sometimes have a segment that is only 85 miles, not because my car can’t go further, but because the next supercharger is 150 miles beyond that. Also, the older cars charge slower, so the charging stops will typically be a bit longer than 20 min.

My stops for the 1,288 miles were 116, 99, 126,101, 207, 129, 155, 119 miles. All depends as Big River mentioned, how far to the next charger, planned night stay, planned meal. I use Abetterrouteplanner.com to plan out my trip, using start day and time, initial charge, planned stops and layovers, etc. It computes the time to different chargers and charge times based on my average kwh usage, driving habits, and other data I have entered. I then tweak it a bit by removing poor charger locations such as the 4 shared pedestals at some busy locations, the Savannah, GA airport chargers, and if I know there are 250kw unshared chargers on the route I will skip the 150kw shared chargers as it is difficult to plan a charge when expecting 110-140kw charge rates but only get 70 when shared.
On the recent trip I was supposed to do one leg of 180 miles, but had to stop sooner at 101 miles, but was able to charge enough to get back on schedule and do the 207 mile sling. I prefer to drive 2.5+ hours at a time, but flexible.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I got my FUSC because of a referral code. I do not believe it is transferable. Mine was delivered March 2018. I think even after mine there was the FUSC offered as a special, but I don't believe it was transferrable.

You also need to keep in mind that an older "90" or "100" is no longer a 90kw or 100kw battery. After checking my internal information today, I believe my MX100D is now down to about 90kw (90.4) meaning 9.6% degredation. So when I charge to 95% I am really only charging to 95% of 90.4kw, or 85.8kw. Today I charged to 95%. Actual was 95.1%, or 86.2kw. The car showed 95% = 259 miles. In October 2020, 95% was 267 miles. In June 2018 it was 280 miles. After driving 15 miles, the graph still showed expected range to be 260, while the mileage gauge showed 240 something. Tesla also holds some reserve back. You can see the app shows usable only 81.2kwh usable.

Some of this was data from ScanMyTesla app, not computations. I am by no means an expert on what the ScanMyTesla app readings mean, so I have attached it below in case someone out there wants to correct me.

I left from the charger and drove 36.6 miles on pretty level county roads with max speed limit of 55 mph, with occasional traffic lights. I averaged 314 Wh/mi, using 11.5 kWh. Again mine is a heavy Tesla. On the highway at 75 mph or so I average closer to 360-390 Wh/mi, depending on terrain.

I hope all this data helps, but basically don't sweat it unless you are traveling to areas without chargers and really need to maximize things. I love my MX and love to take it on trips. I am ready for a new seat cushion. :)
ScanMyTesla.jpg

Thanks for details which are very enlightening. (& for other responses)
look like: overnight-120mi-20min-120mi-20min-lunch-120mi-20min-120mi-overnight
or 480mi-60min or 600mi-80min total? (one charge stop includes lunch) ❓❓❓
Most of my road trip driving includes photo stops but frequency of 20 min stops if I
pursue suggested 75%-10% scheme is concerning & reason to find greatest range SC01-FUSC.
regards
In general, this is accurate depending on distance between chargers. I would try to avoid charging above 80% at SC stops. Try to plan on v3 SCs stops bypassing v2 if possible. The v2s get split. On a v3 SC, I have maxed out at 160 kWhrs at 5 to 10% SoC, maintain above 120 kWhrs up to 40%, then sustains 70 to 90 kWhrs up to 70%. Anything above 80% SoC drastically slows down. I have completed many 2000+ mile road trips.