Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

typical long distance range 2016 Tesla Model X P90D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know my posts better than I know my posts ‼️
🫣 🫣 🫣 🫣 🫣
Thanks for comparison link.
It states 2016 X P90D at 250 range
is only 14 miles better than
2016 S 70 at 234 range...
(seller of latter claims 238 range)
To add: Rated range for Model X with 20" wheels is 257 and 250 range 90D and P90D respectively. 22" wheels where 15%+ reduction in range. As a point of reference, my 100% SoC is 234 at 118k miles.

you have "March 2018 MX100D"?
there was short period in 2018 when FUSC was reinstated for new X & S?
Free supercharging was intermittently a thing until early 2020. So it is not a rare thing at all for model S and model X owners to have free supercharging. It is just not transferable for cars after January 2017, as has been stated several times.

You also need to keep in mind that an older "90" or "100" is no longer a 90kw or 100kw battery.
Exactly this. Especially if a car has amply used their free supercharging. While Tesla batteries are robust, the fast DC charging takes a toll.

what should be typical long distance driving range if 100% charged?
(maximizing range by driving ~65mph?)
what should vehicle typically indicate if 100% charged?
assume low mileage vehicle now & how would range change later?
thanks in advance. regards.
Good question. Our 3/24/2016 MXP90DL now has 82+k miles and 20" rims and when new a 100% charge was 257 miles. I recently did a 100% pack ballance and got 230 mile charge. Now as for full drive on 100% milage I have to say I never have done this. I really want to, but running out of power where supercharging would be avaliable is the trick and full focus of such a drive.

I am scheduled for a CSS upgrade next week giving me more options for charging and this just might give me the motivation to find the answer.

So I'll get into central calif to reduce driving over mountains and just run up and down the state and set speed at 60 mph for making all the numbers a bit easier for analysis. With luck I'll be back in 30 days and post my full range.

To-date my trips to Reno do not count with driving up hill. Then the reverse is true, my milage driving home from Reno is totally unrealistic so I am not sharing that at this time.

Cheers

Gary

Last edited:
Exactly this. Especially if a car has amply used their free supercharging. While Tesla batteries are robust, the fast DC charging takes a toll.

Only slow charging at home won't protect the battery either. There will ALWAYS be degradation. The superchargers don't abuse the battery any more than any other method - if you stay on a supercharger to 100%, you will see the speed slow WAY WAY down as it crosses 60%, and continue trending slower until you finally finish around 2kw. The battery manager in the car is communicating and instructing what the battery can safely take based on several factors - state of charge, battery temperature, and cooling (or heating) performance for the charge cycle.

My operational use is around 85% supercharging, and I track / monitor the battery health very frequently. I have not seen any change in status of the X that I bought with 11.6 degradation showing, after around 5k miles now and mostly supercharging.

Reactions: GasNah and vickh
I read through the whole thread. I Have had my 12/2016 MX P100d for a year. 33k on the odometer and 252 miles at 100%SoC. I drive 7500 miles last year. Given that mileage there is no way FUSC would cover the annual maintenance costs. These heavy beasts really do a number on tires especially if you have a heavy right foot. Bad axel design and barely adequate front suspension.

If you want range get a Model Y. Get an X because is does all the X things. Decent 3rd row. Cool doors. Nice ride. Can tow but not very far. P models are just crazy fast.

Free supercharging was intermittently a thing until early 2020. So it is not a rare thing at all for model S and model X owners to have free supercharging. It is just not transferable for cars after January 2017, as has been stated several times.

No true. I bought my X 90D 2016 and before purchase I contacted Tesla and ask if free supercharge will be transferable. They confirmed - it is. I registered car under my name on Jan 2023 and still using free supercharging.

Reactions: geordi
No true. I bought my X 90D 2016 and before purchase I contacted Tesla and ask if free supercharge will be transferable. They confirmed - it is. I registered car under my name on Jan 2023 and still using free supercharging.

I'm impressed that you actually got any sort of answer out of Tesla, but the 2016 cars would have all had transferrable free unlimited supercharging EXCEPT in two cases: The car was a lease from Tesla that was taken back by them AFTER some time in 2019 prior to being sold, OR was owned, and traded to Tesla at some time after 2019. Tesla has to have ownership of the vehicle to be able to strip the supercharging and premium connectivity.

IN GENERAL: If the car shows Premium Connectivity as an included package, it SHOULD have FUSC as well. But the only way to be certain seems to be having access to the current owner's "manage this car" link on Tesla's website, where the option codes are in the URL for the image of the car. If "SC01" appears in those option codes, then it has transferrable FUSC.

I think my wording in that post was not 100% clear. The Jan 2017 date is the date of the original car build (actually when the order had to be placed). It became a characteristic of those vehicles. Yes, free unlimited supercharging can still be transferred in 2023 for cars built in 2016. But not for cars originally ordered after January 2017.

I'm impressed that you actually got any sort of answer out of Tesla, but the 2016 cars would have all had transferrable free unlimited supercharging EXCEPT in two cases: The car was a lease from Tesla that was taken back by them AFTER some time in 2019 prior to being sold, OR was owned, and traded to Tesla at some time after 2019. Tesla has to have ownership of the vehicle to be able to strip the supercharging and premium connectivity.

IN GENERAL: If the car shows Premium Connectivity as an included package, it SHOULD have FUSC as well. But the only way to be certain seems to be having access to the current owner's "manage this car" link on Tesla's website, where the option codes are in the URL for the image of the car. If "SC01" appears in those option codes, then it has transferrable FUSC.
“But the only way to be certain seems to be having access to the current owner's "manage this car" link on Tesla's website, where the option codes are in the URL for the image of the car“ . Can you give me a link to this site please? I’m not sure what you are talking about. I manage my car from app, but never from web and didn’t know this is possible until now.

If the car shows Premium Connectivity as an included package, it SHOULD have FUSC as well.
What is the basis of this statement? Free premium connectivity stays with all cars ordered by June 2018. Transferable unlimited supercharging is associated with cars ordered up to January 2017. So there is a year and a half of car builds with transferable premium connectivity but not transferable free supercharging.

“But the only way to be certain seems to be having access to the current owner's "manage this car" link on Tesla's website, where the option codes are in the URL for the image of the car“ . Can you give me a link to this site please? I’m not sure what you are talking about. I manage my car from app, but never from web and didn’t know this is possible until now.

Here is the option code decoder website with more info and instructions: Tesla option codes

What is the basis of this statement? Free premium connectivity stays with all cars ordered by June 2018. Transferable unlimited supercharging is associated with cars ordered up to January 2017. So there is a year and a half of car builds with transferable premium connectivity but not transferable free supercharging.

The basis is that if the car SHOULD have free unlimited supercharging, then it will also have premium connectivity. If it lacks the premium connectivity because it was stripped by Tesla, then it likely will not have the FUSC either. Any car dated after 3/2017 is unlikely to have transferrable FUSC as we well know.

Here is the option code decoder website with more info and instructions: Tesla option codes

The basis is that if the car SHOULD have free unlimited supercharging, then it will also have premium connectivity. If it lacks the premium connectivity because it was stripped by Tesla, then it likely will not have the FUSC either. Any car dated after 3/2017 is unlikely to have transferrable FUSC as we well know.
Thanks for helpful link. Find lot of interesting about my car. This is probably what we are looking for:
SC01Free transferable no limit supercharging

But what confuses me a lot - about range and acceleration. Everything below extracted from my code. Not sure show to interpret this and which information applies to my car:

MT90A SpecMS 90D 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 4.4 s
MT90A SpecMS 90D 0-60 mph 4.2 s
MT90A SpecMS 90D Range (EPA) 294 mi
MT90A SpecMS 90D Range (EPA) 473 km
MT90A SpecMS 90D Range (NEDC) 557 km
MT90A SpecMS 90D Range (NEDC) 346 mi
MT90A SpecMS 90D Range (WLTP) 557 km
MT90A SpecMS 90D Top speed 155 mph
MT90A SpecMS 90D Top speed 249 km/h
MT90A SpecMX 90D 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 5 s
MT90A SpecMX 90D 0-60 mph 4.8 s
MT90A SpecMX 90D Range (EPA) 414 km
MT90A SpecMX 90D Range (EPA) 257 mi
MT90A SpecMX 90D Range (NEDC) 304 mi
MT90A SpecMX 90D Range (NEDC) 489 km
MT90A SpecMX 90D Range (WLTP) 489 km
MT90A SpecMX 90D Top speed 249 km/h
MT90A SpecMX 90D Top speed 155 mph

Whatever 2016-7 I buy it must be SC01-FUSC.
If you had that how would it change your scheme...?
Thanks in advance. regards
I have FUSC on one car and pay-as-you=go on the other. This never changes my charging scheme; I plan with ABRP and tweak as necessary as @Les236 mentioned in an earlier post. I drive pretty much as he does though I usually top out at 75mph and rarely charge above 50-55% because charge time increases. My MS90D now has a range of about 281 miles down from original 295. In my mind, since I'm doing 80 to 150 mile legs it's irrelevant.

I have FUSC on one car and pay-as-you=go on the other. This never changes my charging scheme; I plan with ABRP and tweak as necessary as @Les236 mentioned in an earlier post. I drive pretty much as he does though I usually top out at 75mph and rarely charge above 50-55% because charge time increases. My MS90D now has a range of about 281 miles down from original 295. In my mind, since I'm doing 80 to 150 mile legs it's irrelevant.
How to find out if I have MS or MX model? What is inference between them? Does it just mean Model X and model S or something else for model X? I’m confused with terminology

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Lectric_Agent