Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical on a 2023 Model X (not Plaid)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not track kilometers (or miles). I just watch the % full. The mileage, if if is shown, is a made up number anyway. It has very little to do with how far you can actually drive.
Well, let's be clear here. The rated kilometers or miles is not a "made up number". It's actually more informative than the % is. Rated kilometers is a unit of energy, though. It is not always an exact distance measurement that matches YOUR actual distance driven.

% is just a fullness ratio. It is looking at how much energy it sees in the battery divided by how much it thinks it can hold. If the battery has been horribly degraded after several years and only holds two thirds of the energy it was originally supposed to, the car will still happily show 100%, and you can't ever see how bad it is. At least rated kilometers will show the amount of energy, so you can see if it has lost a lot.

And before things get weird from a lot of Americans mixing up the names,

In North America, "Ideal" is the higher number and "Rated" is the lower one.
In Europe, "Rated" is the higher number and "Typical" is the lower one.
It's frustrating that the word "Rated" is used for opposite things, but it's because the WLTP rating system is ridiculously crazy optimistic, while the EPA rating system is only a little bit optimistic and much closer to reality.

Well, let's be clear here. The rated kilometers or miles is not a "made up number". It's actually more informative than the % is. Rated kilometers is a unit of energy, though. It is not always an exact distance measurement that matches YOUR actual distance driven.

% is just a fullness ratio. It is looking at how much energy it sees in the battery divided by how much it thinks it can hold. If the battery has been horribly degraded after several years and only holds two thirds of the energy it was originally supposed to, the car will still happily show 100%, and you can't ever see how bad it is. At least rated kilometers will show the amount of energy, so you can see if it has lost a lot.

And before things get weird from a lot of Americans mixing up the names,

In North America, "Ideal" is the higher number and "Rated" is the lower one.
In Europe, "Rated" is the higher number and "Typical" is the lower one.
It's frustrating that the word "Rated" is used for opposite things, but it's because the WLTP rating system is ridiculously crazy optimistic, while the EPA rating system is only a little bit optimistic and much closer to reality.
It's made up in the sense that it indicates the same thing, if my vehicle is/was rated for 351 miles, and I show 263 rated, that is 75%. I submit, that it is far easier to "feel" a 75% full tank, (75/100) than 263/351, especially when the 351 is uncertain. Neither one is an indication of you how far you can actually drive. That requires knowledge of your specific drive.

Earlier years the energy consumption was directly visible. Tesla removed that bit of knowledge with the refreshed X and S. You can get it sort of, from the trip odometer. But that is a real pain, compared to it being displayed continuously on the ICD energy display (which was lost on the refresh).

Last edited:
I've found that typical km is usually fairly spot on for longer drives here, outside of the winter months. Waiting for our 2023 X I was curious as to how much higher that was compared to our old 6+ year old 75D X. The larger battery is obviously a big factor in that being an increased number, but the efficiency of the engines have changed over the years as well.

My refresh 2022 MXLR with 15,600 miles (25,212 km) charges to a CALCULATED 343.4 miles (552.4 km) for 100%. We never charge to 100% for battery life problems that may cause. Max is 94% for trips and don't need over that. So my range is from TeslaMate on a raspberry Pi I just set up and that has really cool stats. I've lost 1.3% battery range in 11 months, and 25k km by keeping charged under 55% unless traveling longer distances.

So if I move USA EPA rated numbers to km:
2017 75D:
Rating EPA: 237miles/charge = 381km/charge.

2023 Model X LR:
Rating EPA: 348miles/charge = 560km/charge.

So looking at those, the distance RATING is increased 47%. Take what you get now in reality(or when were new, before 6 years battery degradation) and multiply by 1.47 to get new range.

As for actually GETTING the EPA rating here, No. Tesla is always optimistic on the EPA tests. We live in flat area of Wisconsin USA which gets warner in the summer than Alesund and MUCH colder in the winter. Summer, around 15 degC, I would say the full 100->0 range would be about 325 miles (522km). No heat or AC.

PS. Norway, a beautiful country! Did a trip from Oslo to Bergen and as far north as Geirangerfjord. So many nice things and saw SO many Tesla's, even in 2016!

P.S.S and the new one is going to feel quieter, smoother, and way faster. (6 sec 0-60 vs 3.8 is ALOT). On the down side, if you got the yoke, that is on you as we had no choice. It's OK, but not better than a wheel (opinion). But you also get the stupid lack of turn stalk, lack of easy way to change follow distance the old one had. And horn on a button. Those and BAD changes. Actually forward/reverse selection on screen are not that bad, but the turn signals and horn DO STINK!

Last edited:
Reactions: taldric
My refresh 2022 MXLR with 15,600 miles (25,212 km) charges to a CALCULATED 343.4 miles (552.4 km) for 100%. We never charge to 100% for battery life problems that may cause. Max is 94% for trips and don't need over that. So my range is from TeslaMate on a raspberry Pi I just set up and that has really cool stats. I've lost 1.3% battery range in 11 months, and 25k km by keeping charged under 55% unless traveling longer distances.

So if I move USA EPA rated numbers to km:
2017 75D:
Rating EPA: 237miles/charge = 381km/charge.

2023 Model X LR:
Rating EPA: 348miles/charge = 560km/charge.

So looking at those, the distance RATING is increased 47%. Take what you get now in reality(or when were new, before 6 years battery degradation) and multiply by 1.47 to get new range.

As for actually GETTING the EPA rating here, No. Tesla is always optimistic on the EPA tests. We live in flat area of Wisconsin USA which gets warner in the summer than Alesund and MUCH colder in the winter. Summer, around 15 degC, I would say the full 100->0 range would be about 325 miles (522km). No heat or AC.

PS. Norway, a beautiful country! Did a trip from Oslo to Bergen and as far north as Geirangerfjord. So many nice things and saw SO many Tesla's, even in 2016!

P.S.S and the new one is going to feel quieter, smoother, and way faster. (6 sec 0-60 vs 3.8 is ALOT). On the down side, if you got the yoke, that is on you as we had no choice. It's OK, but not better than a wheel (opinion). But you also get the stupid lack of turn stalk, lack of easy way to change follow distance the old one had. And horn on a button. Those and BAD changes. Actually forward/reverse selection on screen are not that bad, but the turn signals and horn DO STINK!
Thanks! 🙏

And we opted for the wheel after a couple of longer test drives with the yoke. 😊

Reactions: taldric
Can anyone here with a 2023 Model X (not Plaid) in Europe tell me what they get on typical when charging to 100%?
@cstromme - as a friendly heads up you may want to work on better titles for your thread.

“Typical on a 2023 Model X (not Plaid)” is, to be blunt, useless.

”Typical on a 2023 Model X (not Plaid) when charging to 100%, particularly for Europeans?” is far more descriptive and will get you a more precise answer.

Never understood the logic for not putting the entire question in the thread title.