Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical supercharger stops between Houston and Dallas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S M.D.

Ludicrous Radiologist
Oct 31, 2015
TX
Just curious what the most efficient stops are between Houston and Dallas? (assuming 100% range charge prior to departure)

From Houston to Dallas I was thinking of just stopping at the Corsicana charger (and skipping Huntsville).

Then on the way back from Dallas to Houston I was thinking of only stopping at the Huntsville charger (and skipping Corsicana).

Or is it better to just stop at both superchargers on both legs of the trip?

Thanks in advance!

Just curious what the most efficient stops are between Houston and Dallas? (assuming 100% range charge prior to departure)

From Houston to Dallas I was thinking of just stopping at the Corsicana charger (and skipping Huntsville).

Then on the way back from Dallas to Houston I was thinking of only stopping at the Huntsville charger (and skipping Corsicana).

Thanks in advance!

I'd tend to charge to 90% and stop at both. On the second stop, only charge enough to finish your day's drive (plus a bit extra for safety).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks in advance!

I'd tend to charge to 90% and stop at both. On the second stop, only charge enough to finish your day's drive (plus a bit extra for safety).

By the time I get to Huntsville I kind of feel like using the restroom and moving my legs -- and the friendly cup of coffee is welcome too. I might as well plug in while I run into the HIE with a wave to the nice desk clerk!

Agreed, I just did this trip twice last week. Taking the family down to Galveston for a cruise.

You could probably stretch it if you wanted, and skip one. But I like to drive a little faster and not have to worry about my wh/mi. By the time you reach Huntsville you might be ready for a bathroom break, and at a low SOC (state of charge), you'll get a very fast charging rate. I think at Huntsville I was getting 350 miles per hour of charge. So in about the time it takes for you to walk into the holiday inn and use the restroom and back, you'll be ready to go again with about 50 or so miles added.

If it's just me, I only do a Huntsville stop. If I have the family on the trip, potty breaks usually mean a Corsicana stop. If it's topped off in Corsicana, we'll just drive straight to Houston, unless another potty break is needed around Huntsville.

I recently did a big road trip to and fro Indianapolis. No direct route since no SCs in Arkansas or western KY or Eastern TX. Went to Atlanta to see a cousin, then north. 1400 miles. Then return via I-70 west to Wichita KS then south through Dallas. 1250 miles. Instead of skipping SCs, I stopped at every one and charged enough to get to next charger plus a bit more for safety. I programmed the next SC in the GPS and watched the Trip Energy screen until the battery was safely into the green (20% charge or higher) for the end of the trip to the next charger. Often I'd stop charging at 75-80% of the battery, thereby avoiding the slow rates to "fill" the battery.

I also figured out that driving fast to save, say, 5 minutes to the next charger would be more or less lost needing more a longer charge time. However, driving faster gets you to the next charger break sooner and it's safer driving at the speed every one else does.

The longest leg of that trip was from Baton Rouge LA to Mobile AL on I-10. 200 miles. A Tesla owner at the Baton Rouge SC told me to charge to 100% and watch your speed. That leg I drove at the legal limit. I had more battery left than the Energy Trip window had predicted.