Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really not sure what you are expecting people to say. If you are that bothered, take the tyre to a laboratory for it to be forensically examined and if the product is found defective, begin legal action against Pirelli, I feel that you will be wasting your time and huge amounts of money because I suspect that you have damaged the tyre and it was compromised structurally and subsequently failed, resulting in your incident. But what else can anyone say to you to help?
Carry on driving or give up, your choice.
Agree I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel, we as owners must share experiences, good or bad. By sharing our experience it may prompt other owners to check tyres etc?

Agree I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel, we as owners must share experiences, good or bad. By sharing our experience it may prompt other owners to check tyres etc?
how does your experience as tesla owner is different from any other car owner experience on the road? How is this even tesla specific?!

We would all be upset, at the fright of the incident happening as something like that is scary regardless of what caused it, and also upset at having to foot the bill for a pretty expensive new tyre and refurbished wheel. And yes we're all gald you're not hurt as that is the main thing, tyres can easily be replaced. You obviously feel either the car or the tyre has failed to cause this, or that the tyres specified and fitted are not fit for purpose and this incident should not have happened. It's not impossible you're right but it's far more likely the tyre has been damaged at some point from a kerb, pothole, or road debris, the lower the profile of tyre the easier they are to damage. Cars and tyres of all makes have punctures every day. If you are that convinced it's caused by a fault the only way forward is to get Pirelli or an independant expert to examine the tyre to check for manufacturing defects.

Reactions: Laurdan
how does your experience as tesla owner is different from any other car owner experience on the road? How is this even tesla specific?!
I’m sure it is not …. I’m just posting on a Tesla site because I own a Tesla and my Tesla had a blow out. Where did you want me to post? Range Rover, BMW
Yessuz you need to appreciate that you will read good and bad posts on here about Tesla
I switched the 20" wheels on my M3P for 18" T-Sportline, as low profile tyres and pot holes (especially in Devon lanes) don't go well together. At least so far they have held up better after clipping kerb / rocks at side of road.
thank you for that …. Something to consider moving forward

Reactions: candida and Doudeau
You state you’re exploring what’s happened, however from the tone of your comments it appears you’re accusing Tesla for a tyre failure. Also, you say there was nothing on the road, however you start off in the OP with, “We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night.” Furthermore, are you certain you hadn’t damaged the tyre by either running under-pressure, or by hitting a pothole previously causing critical damage that only manifested when driving at speed?
This is a possibility…. I don’t think we did but cannot be sure I guess

I'm "sharing my experience": I had a flat once. It was a sudden blow-out. Once on the roadside, I found I'd run over a screwdriver. Having experienced flat tires before, I had no real problem steering the car, though we did weave around a bit. I put a plug into the hole, found it was not holding air, and put in two more plugs before I could pump it up with the pump I carry. The leak stopped, and I drove it another 5000 miles before getting a new one. Being a car owner for decades, it was no big deal.

I'm "sharing my experience": I had a flat once. It was a sudden blow-out. Once on the roadside, I found I'd run over a screwdriver. Having experienced flat tires before, I had no real problem steering the car, though we did weave around a bit. I put a plug into the hole, found it was not holding air, and put in two more plugs before I could pump it up with the pump I carry. The leak stopped, and I drove it another 5000 miles before getting a new one. Being a car owner for decades, it was no big deal.
Thank you for sharing but as you can see my tyre was completely split all round and is on the scrap heap now. It travels are over

Appreciate it was a scary experience, and a complete PITA. I doubt anyone can determine anything from the pictures, the bits we can see don't seem particularly worn.

I'm not sure what you think Tesla might have done wrong, it's most likely there was something in the road you drove over I would suggest. If they were misaligned from new you would see wear patterns, and I expect you would have seen this yourself in advance. If they had been under pressure then the car would have shown a warning (I know my car if showing warnings at the moment since it's turned far colder than when I got the car).
Tyre was in perfect condition and car gave no indication of an issue

Thanks for sharing your experience. sorry for your loss but its reassuring to know that Teslas stability control systems coped well enough with suddenly loosing 25% of the cars wheels at 70mph on a busy motorway to allow the driver to maintain control and bring the car safely to a stop.
In films cars always go into a barrel roll and explode when this happens.

Thanks for sharing your experience. sorry for your loss but its reassuring to know that Teslas stability control systems coped well enough with suddenly loosing 25% of the cars wheels at 70mph on a busy motorway to allow the driver to maintain control and bring the car safely to a stop.
In films cars always go into a barrel roll and explode when this happens.
Thank you for your kind words and thank God that didn’t happen us or it would have been curtains for the car and us

Thank you all for your comments, I am just en-route now to collect my car, it is an hour away and Tesla have supplied a taxi. They have assured me the car is safe and they have checked all the tyres. Sadly they have charged me £100 more for the tyre, But hey ho, at least I will have my car returned even if it does make me apprehensive to drive again
Are you saying your alloy survived?

What I have learnt is do not go to Tesla for new tyres, they charge way over, in my case £150.00 over
Salutary lesson.

Don’t know how often you change cars / mileage / get through tyres - but the best advice I can give you is avoid the car stealerships at all costs.

Instead find a good local-ish tyre fitter and they should look after you in the medium to long term.

Even better find one with a decent wheel alignment rig (like a Hunter Hawkeye) and get your alignment (and tyres!) checked at least once a year. You’d be surprised how quickly your alignment goes out on our crap roads and cars with multi-link suspension setups.

Reactions: Laurdan
We would all be upset, at the fright of the incident happening as something like that is scary regardless of what caused it, and also upset at having to foot the bill for a pretty expensive new tyre and refurbished wheel. And yes we're all gald you're not hurt as that is the main thing, tyres can easily be replaced. You obviously feel either the car or the tyre has failed to cause this, or that the tyres specified and fitted are not fit for purpose and this incident should not have happened. It's not impossible you're right but it's far more likely the tyre has been damaged at some point from a kerb, pothole, or road debris, the lower the profile of tyre the easier they are to damage. Cars and tyres of all makes have punctures every day. If you are that convinced it's caused by a fault the only way forward is to get Pirelli or an independant expert to examine the tyre to check for manufacturing defects.
Yes you are right…

Salutary lesson.

Don’t know how often you change cars / mileage / get through tyres - but the best advice I can give you is avoid the car stealerships at all costs.

Instead find a good local-ish tyre fitter and they should look after you in the medium to long term.

Even better find one with a decent wheel alignment rig (like a Hunter Hawkeye) and get your alignment (and tyres!) checked at least once a year. You’d be surprised how quickly your alignment goes out on our crap roads and cars with multi-link suspension setups.
Thank you good advice

Thank you for your comment ….. which are

If you aren’t interested why even bother commenting….. sad
Is it sad? Or is the fact that an adult human doesn’t understand that vehicles can have mechanical failures at any time the thing that is *really* sad?

Hey, did you know there is a giant string of batteries which are potentially combustible right underneath your feet as you drive?!!

You should think about that before the next time you hop into this death-machine on wheels.

But you’re also the same person who was surprised by dealer markups on tyres, so there’s that.

Status
Not open for further replies.