Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tesla model 3, age 7 months, had a front passenger-side tyre blow out on M25 last night. We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night. We were travelling at approx 65-70 mph when it happened… it’s fair to say we are lucky to be alive
The car gave no indication that there was a problem until it blew

BB3150DD-AA89-4FB5-AD11-F372B3D7709A.jpeg A570F8AB-34F2-4560-9B34-28D522BE9183.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Redbaron73
Sorry, are you saying this is Tesla's fault? Your thread title is somewhat misleading. Surely a blow-out like this is a pure accident that could happen to any car? Debris in the road, perhaps.
I am exploring why this happened and I have since learnt that Tesla formally used Mitchelin tyres. Now they use Pirelli, why?
Have they compromised quality over profit margins

Also, surely I need to highlight to the fellow Tesla owners as an indication of what has happened to me could happen again to anyone ??

Appreciate it was a scary experience, and a complete PITA. I doubt anyone can determine anything from the pictures, the bits we can see don't seem particularly worn.

I'm not sure what you think Tesla might have done wrong, it's most likely there was something in the road you drove over I would suggest. If they were misaligned from new you would see wear patterns, and I expect you would have seen this yourself in advance. If they had been under pressure then the car would have shown a warning (I know my car if showing warnings at the moment since it's turned far colder than when I got the car).

I am exploring why this happened and I have since learnt that Tesla formally used Mitchelin tyres. Now they use Pirelli, why?

Also, surely I need to highlight to the fellow Tesla owners as an indication of what has happened to me could happen again to anyone ??
They are both tyres of equivalent quality from premium manufacturers. I think the theory for the change is most likely providing regular supply to the factory.

You state you’re exploring what’s happened, however from the tone of your comments it appears you’re accusing Tesla for a tyre failure. Also, you say there was nothing on the road, however you start off in the OP with, “We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night.” Furthermore, are you certain you hadn’t damaged the tyre by either running under-pressure, or by hitting a pothole previously causing critical damage that only manifested when driving at speed?

My Tesla model 3, age 7 months, had a front passenger-side tyre blow out on M25 last night. We were travelling in the fast lane, it was very busy and very rainy, dark November night. We were travelling at approx 65-70 mph when it happened… it’s fair to say we are lucky to be alive

View attachment 870941 View attachment 870942
It may be worth posting on a tyre forum. Clearly it’s a tyre problem. We haven’t specifically seen any other reports on this forum so at this point there’s not much to suggest that it’s a Tesla issue.

Speculation to follow: It’s possible to have invisible damage caused previously by running over a pothole or kerb that has pinched the sidewall. The weak spot then fails on the motorway.

View attachment 870941 View attachment 870942
*sugar* happens unfortunately. Glad you’re safe and sound though.

There’s nothing to suggest a “quality” issue or compromise by Tesla.

Pirelli and Michelin are both top shelf tyre brands. Manufacturers typically fit a number of different tyre brands on a particular car. That’s the way it’s always been.

Odds are you hit or ran over something, whether you felt it or not.
I drove over a coke can in a car park at manoeuvering speed in my Saab - instant deflation as it tore a 2-inch gash through the sidewall. Something similar on the motorway and the car would never get the time to alert you to the pressure loss before you were aware of the shift in steering.

Reactions: Pauld999
I've had it happen on a three day old Ford Cortina (yes, they were new, once), it's a bit of a shock and of course you want to know why but I can guarantee with full blow-outs like that, you never will. The one thing you can be sure of, it's nothing to do with the car and highly unlikely to be a tyre manufacturing fault.

Ferraris have had Pirelli tyres for many years.

As @GRiLLA said - they both sell performance tyres, so it is mostly a matter of taste (although I happen to think the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on OG Model 3s are fantastic)

Pirelli are far from a 'budget' brand and I would say that you have almost certainly damaged the tyre and compromised its integrity at some point before this incident.
There are many high end performance car manufacturers that use Pirelli by the way.

By the way, there is no fast lane, I assume you mean the overtaking lane, that being either lane 2 or lane three dependant on the type of dual carriageway or motorway that you were using.

Additionally, "lucky to be alive", maybe a little over dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.