Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To my point in my post on previous page. I read it that Laurdan is stating that she wasn’t driving the car for a while with a message on the screen saying the tyre had lost pressure (and Tesla confirmed that).

Are you interpreting her comment that she’s blaming the car for not warning her it was going to blow?

I had a crash in my Tesla and from their analysis they confirmed that I was ignoring the message to say cruise control wasn’t going to brake (as I was pressing the accelerator and going above the TACC speed I’d set). Clearly showing I was responsible for the car not reacting as quickly as I would have hoped 😳.

Reactions: MrT3
Oh please…. Now listen carefully
The car does alert you when you are losing pressure from your tyres. I did not receive any notification that the front tyre was losing pressure. And! Tesla have confirmed this. What Tesla read when they diagnosed the issue is that the tyre blew in one blast, the tyre rapidly lost air instantly, this Tesla told me. And when it happened the screen alerted a flat tyre, only because it’s not able to alert a blow out. Tesla also confirmed I did not have a flat tyre it was a complete blow out and did cause a great deal of interest for them when my car arrived in their garage

Got it now?
As for Trolling, really! how old are you??
You are stupid if you think that there is a system in the world which indicates a sudden tyre blow out. Looks kike you do not understand what are you talking about . There is no system int he world which will advise about blow outs. It is not how it works. Ffs. Tyre pressure monitors monitor the distance which tyre pressure sensor travels and measures pressure based on the rotations and travel. If it becomes shorter distance as the sensor travels due to lower pressure, it report reduction. No tyre pressure monitor in the world will report blow out

There are systems which let know if there is open window and therefore you are losing pressure. But it will not let anyone know that there is explosion to happen. Ehich you know, will cause loss of pressure

Seriously stop trolling or get yourself educated how tyre pressure monitor works. if tyre was not losing pressure until it exploded for whatever reason (tyre damage) then there was nothing to report.

How hard is to understand!?

Next blame tesla that you cannot pay for your supercharging because you do not have enough funds in your account

Last edited:
Tyre pressure monitors monitor the distance which tyre pressure sensor travels and measures pressure based on the rotations and travel. If it becomes shorter distance as the sensor travels due to lower pressure, it report reduction.
Not correct. What you are describing is indirect TPMS. Tesla uses direct TPMS, which is a battery powered sensor inside the tire that actually measures the pressure and transmits that information back to the vehicle. But no system will warn you if the pressure is normal and then the tire suddenly blows out because there's not sufficient time for it to sense the change in pressure.

You are stupid if you think that there is a system in the world which indicates a sudden tyre blow out. Looks kike you do not understand what are you talking about . There is no system int he world which will advise about blow outs. It is not how it works. Ffs. Tyre pressure monitors monitor the distance which tyre pressure sensor travels and measures pressure based on the rotations and travel. If it becomes shorter distance as the sensor travels due to lower pressure, it report reduction. No tyre pressure monitor in the world will report blow out

There are systems which let know if there is open window and therefore you are losing pressure. But it will not let anyone know that there is explosion to happen. Ehich you know, will cause loss of pressure

Seriously stop trolling or get yourself educated how tyre pressure monitor works. if tyre was not losing pressure until it exploded for whatever reason (tyre damage) then there was nothing to report.

How hard is to understand!?

Next blame tesla that you cannot pay for your supercharging because you do not have enough funds in your account
Yessuz don’t be silly I do know that

You haven’t been keeping up with the threads. My Tesla can only advise if low pressure/flat tyre

I swear you just enjoy the sound of your own voice, which is a condescending voice, there is no need for rudeness, was you not taught to discuss without being rude?

Your rudeness is not very nice

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
For what ever reason the tyre blew…the real question is, did the Tesla help or hinder you after the blow out?…were you able to control the car because of the control systems built in ..or did they hinder you? Did the suspension set up and balance of the car help or hinder?….did the four wheel drive system help or hinder?
These are really the important points on a Tesla forum..the safety aspect during an emergency. The tyre isn’t the cars problem…but as a personal point of view.. I can’t understand why anyone would choose to drive on what looks like a rubber band…instinctively I am against low profile tyres

Reactions: Laurdan
For what ever reason the tyre blew…the real question is, did the Tesla help or hinder you after the blow out?…were you able to control the car because of the control systems built in ..or did they hinder you? Did the suspension set up and balance of the car help or hinder?….did the four wheel drive system help or hinder?
These are really the important points on a Tesla forum..the safety aspect during an emergency. The tyre isn’t the cars problem…but as a personal point of view.. I can’t understand why anyone would choose to drive on what looks like a rubber band…instinctively I am against low profile tyres
To be fair the tyre blew out at approx 70mph on an extremely busy motorway, during rush hour. Control did change but we were able to get across 3 lanes onto the hard shoulder, without causing an accident. So, in answer to your question I would say it may have helped. But, that said I guess we would need to do it again in another non Tesla vehicle to compare how good or bad the Tesla did?
Maybe this could be a job for Top Gear BBC ???

Reactions: Bouba
Mod comment:

After a few reports on individual comments I’ve locked the thread, and moved the odd post to snippiness, and read it from top to bottom.

Overall, the OP has tried to be civil with their responses, that’s not something that can be said about everyone.

As for the original point, I don’t think it’s specifically a Tesla or tyre manufacturer issue. Sporty low profile tyres in my experience are more prone to damage, and damage could have been caused some time previously. On a different car with Bridgestone tyres I had a bulge which could have failed at any time, probably caused by pothole. I’ve also had Michelin tyres that have been cut and deflated instantly, I saw the debris being kicked up into my path before I hit it but there was no sign of it other than the damage caused when I stopped. I’m sure there could be other reasons. There’s no way we can know what actually happened, especially without a pictures. The rim damage is likely to be caused by driving with the tyre damage.

To answer the OPs question, Tesla use several manufacturers because they can. I’ve seen no suggestion of individual makes being a problem, and with a million or more cars driving around with a variety of tyres I think something would have started to trend if a particular tyre was an issue. Basically, for whatever reason, I suspect it was just bad luck.

Tesla use TPMS sensors, the clue is in the title, they measure pressure. Tyre monitoring based on wheel rotation is an old approach few cars do anymore, it’s not accurate enough, and it certainly doesn’t report all tyres losing pressure due to temperature changes because the relative wheel rotation speeds largely stay the same with respect to each other. All that system really does is report slow punctures. The Tesla system will throw up a red warning triangle before you’ve had chance to stop the car with a sudden rapid loss of pressure. As others have said, it would be something to report an event before it happened.

Im not sure it’s helpful having people in the US trying to tell us how how much you pay in the UK, or how to deal with Tesla. On the flip side, it’s common knowledge the most expensive place to buy a tyre is usually a manufacturer’s service centre. Occasionally you just have to take it on the chin for the convenience of getting it fixed rather than trying to find an alternative.

I look forward to the usual people giving this post a thumbs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.