Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tyre pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
70 mph with a flat rear? No you haven't because you wouldn't be alive to tell the tall tale.
Fuss over nothing? So all the manufacturers in the world are wrong when they recommend tire pressures and YOU are right?
ANyone have a pointer to a technical forum on Tesla where people know what they are talking about by chance??
TMC is the best forum you're going to find on the technical (and all other) aspects of Tesla.
You've been given all the answers to your questions in this thread.
The subject of tyre/tire pressures and TPMS comes up regularly on here so you could also search for threads on those subjects and get more views if you think we're not giving you the answers you want.

Bottom line is the numbers you have reported are consistent with how a TPMS system works and it's accuracy. Sensors are approx. 3% + or -. The reason why one tyre pressure on your display is yellow and another is white with the same number showing is a combination of rounding errors and how accurately the initial pressures would have been set. It's very common to see what you've reported but it doesn't mean anything needs looking at by the service centre.

The TPMS system is designed to be a warning system, not an way of inflating your tyres to a desired pressure. Currently, the Tesla app shows all 4 of my tyres were at 37PSI 19 hours ago. But if I look at TeslaFi, it's showing 3 of them at 37.3 and one at 36.6. Rounding in the app makes it look like they are all spot on, but actually that one at 36.6 might have very slow puncture so I need to take a look at it. If I didn't use TeslaFi and it does indeed have a puncture, I wouldn't get a warning in the car until it drops a few pounds more (I have set my cold pressures to a TPMS reading of 35.9 on that car, which is a true pressure of 37.5). This is where a good tyre gauge, observation and other data like TeslaFi will get you out of trouble before you start on that long trip and find a mile in that you've got a slow puncture. TPMS is just one tool in your box.

Recommended pressures are not legally binding and it is not dangerous to stray from them by a few PSI either side. It all depends what you want from your car/tyre combo. Manufacturers could publish a range of pressures (some do) depending on conditions, loading etc. but that would just cause more confusion amongst the majority of drivers who, these days, have little understanding of how cars work.

Oh, and I also had a rear tyre fail completely on the motorway at >70mph and nothing particularly eventful happened to me as a result.

There's nothing wrong with your car. If you want a specific cold pressure in all your tyres, find a known accurate gauge and use that to set them cold. Drive the car a while so the TPMS gives you a real time measurement and immediately check them again with the gauge. That will give you your 'hot' pressures and you can compare that against the TPMS so you know what the offset is. Reset your TPMS sensors in the menu and that will be the reference the car uses for warnings in the future. If the pressures drop >10% below that number you'll get a warning.

It's going to change with the seasons of course, so you'll adjust your cold pressures accordingly.

HTH

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Sagrak