Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre rotation current state of tyres!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Just reached 6.5k miles and saw on the Tesla app now is a recommended time to rotate my tyres. What do you guys think, anyone had a rotation compete, just unsure and not sure if I should be concerned with winter coming up since I have the RWD MY.
IMG_3803.jpeg

Tyre rotation is a very US concept. Most in the UK don't bother.
What it does is keep the wear rates even front to back which keeps the handling balance the same front to back. Modern stability control should be able to cope with the slight differences anyway
It also means that all 4 tyres wear out at roughly the same time which is good or bad depending on your point of view.
It also keeps tyre shops in business.
I never bother. If you want to spend £50-£60 ( or whatever) getting it done then go for it. It certainly does no harm, but if you never bothered on your previous cars there is no more or less reason to do it now on a Tesla I don't think.

Tyre rotation is a very US concept. Most in the UK don't bother.
What it does is keep the wear rates even front to back which keeps the handling balance the same front to back. Modern stability control should be able to cope with the slight differences anyway
It also means that all 4 tyres wear out at roughly the same time which is good or bad depending on your point of view.
It also keeps tyre shops in business.
I never bother. If you want to spend £50-£60 ( or whatever) getting it done then go for it. It certainly does no harm, but if you never bothered on your previous cars there is no more or less reason to do it now on a Tesla I don't think.
I thought it was just something to do with Tesla vehicles glad that’s cleared up, wish they would just provide us UK folk with all season tyres so we don’t have to spend another few hundred

Have a read if this.

Short version? It’s unlikely that at 6500 miles you’d need a tyre rotation. Recent service advice was a 3mm + difference front to rear before bothering.

Reactions: herohonda777
I thought it was just something to do with Tesla vehicles glad that’s cleared up, wish they would just provide us UK folk with all season tyres so we don’t have to spend another few hundred
tyre rotation is nothing to do with swapping the type of tyre just swapping front to back so it would still be applicable ( or not) if you had all season tyres. Given that you are in the west Midlands not Scotland I think you will be fine with summer tyres even in winter these days. Auto socks are good for emergencies though. I always carry a couple of pairs which I pick up cheaply on Ebay.

tyre rotation is nothing to do with swapping the type of tyre just swapping front to back so it would still be applicable ( or not) if you had all season tyres. Given that you are in the west Midlands not Scotland I think you will be fine with summer tyres even in winter these days. Auto socks are good for emergencies though. I always carry a couple of pairs which I pick up cheaply on Ebay.
Here's are some numbers that are either totally wrong or suggest that we should be wary of making assumptions about the Midlands and Scotland (Scotland is a bit bigger than the Midlands (!) and has a large climate variation in its different areas) According to this you are going to get significantly more snow fall in Birmingham versus Edinburgh and loads more than Tiree!

Here's are some numbers that are either totally wrong or suggest that we should be wary of making assumptions about the Midlands and Scotland (Scotland is a bit bigger than the Midlands (!) and has a large climate variation in its different areas) According to this you are going to get significantly more snow fall in Birmingham versus Edinburgh and loads more than Tiree!
I should maybe have put "up a mountain in Scotland" but since you mention it winter tyres are not just about snow they provide significantly more grip on cold road surfaces. The benefits start to a accrue below about 7 degrees I think. and are massive below zero and when there is actual Ice on the roads.
Do you have a graph that shows Scotland is warmer in the winter than the Midlands?

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I rotated my tyres last weekend. I wouldn't normally bother but I lubed up the brakes as my vehicle is coming up for 2 years old and winter is approaching. There was a noticeable tread depth difference between front and rear - so I guess it just depends if you want to replace your tyres in 2s or 4s as to whether to bother or not.

Certainly the Tesla should be able to cope with different tread depths - it's not like it has permanent mechanical 4WD where you want the tread to be even to stop wear on the centre diff.

So far I'm following Tesla's instruction to do it every 6250 miles, my Y has just had its second rotation. If you don't want to do it yourself, a Tesla ranger will do it for £47.52 - front to back swap, not X pattern. I figure it's less than a tank of diesel and it is good to have someone visually inspect the parts of the tyre I can't see very easily for damage etc.

So far I'm following Tesla's instruction to do it every 6250 miles, my Y has just had its second rotation. If you don't want to do it yourself, a Tesla ranger will do it for £47.52 - front to back swap, not X pattern. I figure it's less than a tank of diesel and it is good to have someone visually inspect the parts of the tyre I can't see very easily for damage etc.
Did you book this via the app and they come out to your home ?

I should maybe have put "up a mountain in Scotland" but since you mention it winter tyres are not just about snow they provide significantly more grip on cold road surfaces. The benefits start to a accrue below about 7 degrees I think. and are massive below zero and when there is actual Ice on the roads.
Do you have a graph that shows Scotland is warmer in the winter than the Midlands?
I've been a great advocate of winter (or good all seasons) tyres for UK conditions for the very reasons you give ... as you probably know! (Yes, "up a mountain in Scotland" would work !)

Did you book this via the app and they come out to your home ?
Yes, very simple, seemed very automated, and able to book pretty much for the next day. Latest one I booked an afternoon slot 12:30 - 16:30. The ranger rang me in the morning to see if I was available early, and despite me being out they came to the private car park at a completely different location and did the work there in the morning without me needing to be involved since I was busy. So it was done before I even went home for the afternoon. Excellent service.

One reason to rotate tires is so all four wear out at the same time. I hate buying 2 tires, then 3 months later buying another two tires. Besides, when you buy 4 tires there is usually an incentive. Typically $100 to $150 off a set of four.

Didn't know tire rotation was a US thing. Learn something everyday.

I agree if you're paying for a tire rotation it's not worth the money. DIY or some large tire stores offer free rotations and flat repair. What better way to get people into your store?

Edit: On standby, they rotate tires in the UK, and they rotate them for free.

Last edited:
One reason to rotate tires is so all four wear out at the same time. I hate buying 2 tires, then 3 months later buying another two tires. Besides, when you buy 4 tires there is usually an incentive. Typically $100 to $150 off a set of four.

Didn't know tire rotation was a US thing. Learn something everyday.

I agree if you're paying for a tire rotation it's not worth the money. DIY or some large tire stores offer free rotations and flat repair. What better way to get people into your store?

Edit: On standby, they rotate tires in the UK, and they rotate them for free.

On that link. they will "check" them for free and when they tell you they need rotating they will charge you for it.

You may be able to find Somone doing free rotation of you look hard enough.but trust me it is not common practice here free or otherwise. I have never seen amyone promoting free tyre rotation in the UK. But to be fair i have never looked.

Oh but like your government you seem to constantly stick your oar into topics from foreign countries you have no clue 😜
Now now lets keep it civil he was only trying to help. He is clearly passionate about tyre rotation and wants to encourage others to partake. You cannot expect someone from the US to know that Scotland is a part of the UK and thus a legitimate part of this forum UK forum there by making the UN comment sound weird and wholly inappropriate. We must be prepared to make allowances.

• Funny
Reactions: greebo and DoricJim