Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Rotation Cost? (Tesla Service Home Visit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wife has booked a home visit for a Tyre Rotation via the Tesla Service Options within the App.

It's all booked, however there is no indication as to what the charge will be. Has anyone opted for this service recently (within the UK)?

The Tyre rotation recomendation was brought to our attention recently as part of a software update. Vehicle (Model Y) has driven approx 13k since new on original tyres with no previous rotation, tyres in good condition with approx 1mm difference between front and rears (5mm / 6mm).

Tyre rotation is very much an American thing, no one really does it here.

All it means is the tyres wear more evenly front to back. In reality it just means you get to a point where all 4 tyres needing to be replaced at the same time instead of 2 bills half the price spread out over a longer period.

The general rule of thumb is tyres is never use the main ‘dealer’ for anything relating to tyres and take it literally anywhere else.

This is across the board, not just tesla. The reason is that their prices are based on their standard labour rates which are the same no matter if they are replacing your drive unit or battery (or engine!) or swapping a wheel which almost anyone can do. Places that only do basics like tyres, brakes etc. have much lower labour rates, hence lower prices.

All it means is the tyres wear more evenly front to back. In reality it just means you get to a point where all 4 tyres needing to be replaced at the same time instead of 2 bills half the price spread out over a longer period.

The general rule of thumb is tyres is never use the main ‘dealer’ for anything relating to tyres and take it literally anywhere else.

This is across the board, not just tesla. The reason is that their prices are based on their standard labour rates which are the same no matter if they are replacing your drive unit or battery (or engine!) or swapping a wheel which almost anyone can do. Places that only do basics like tyres, brakes etc. have much lower labour rates, hence lower prices.
the argument is that even tyre wear all round maintains the handling characteristic as opposed to having say worn out rears and much newer fronts which might make the car more tail happy. I am not sure I really buy that especially with modern traction control etc
one might even argue that having all four tyres reach the legal limit at the same time and thus have minimum ability to clear water on all four wheels at the same time is a bad thing ..........

Last edited:
I rotate my Summer Wheels to Winter Wheels... and back again when necessary. Tyre rotation happens when I refit them.

Gives me a chance to check tyre condition, tread wear & alloy cracks.

Same on my Wife's car.

Costs me nothing except my time. (Once the extortionate upfront wheelset costs are paid for).

Tesla Winter Wheelset = £4000
Skoda Winter Wheelset = £1800

Kin' ell Tesla...

Last edited:

Caution - tyre rotation is recommended by Tesla.

If the tread depth between axles >1.5mm then it can affect the traction control. I had some problems when I had a larger difference.

Now I rotate and have no issues. £47 at Tesla recently.

Reactions: RajG
£40. I booked mine and was told it could only be a workshop visit only. Took the car in at the start of the week. Went Friday and it hadn’t budged. I was told they were too busy and just leave it there. So after a week of waiting on a tyre rotation I gave up and took it home. Had so much bad experience at Tesla Chester. Damage and disappointment is all I’ve ever got there which is a shame as I love everything about Tesla, just Chester has really made me question my loyalty.

£40. I booked mine and was told it could only be a workshop visit only. Took the car in at the start of the week. Went Friday and it hadn’t budged. I was told they were too busy and just leave it there. So after a week of waiting on a tyre rotation I gave up and took it home. Had so much bad experience at Tesla Chester. Damage and disappointment is all I’ve ever got there which is a shame as I love everything about Tesla, just Chester has really made me question my loyalty.
that is in all honesty, a fecking joke isn't it?
Tesla Service are an absolute shambles and the day I need to use them will probably cement me never buying one of their cars again.

Great car, but in the end, if you have to put up with crap like this, why buy with them again?

Reactions: Badger1874
the argument is that even tyre wear all round maintains the handling characteristic as opposed to having say worn out rears and much newer fronts which might make the car more tail happy. I am not sure I really buy that especially with modern traction control etc
one might even argue that having all four tyres reach the legal limit at the same time and thus have minimum ability to clear water on all four wheels at the same time is a bad thing ..........

kinda. At least here in the US, and I would think anywhere, it’s about wear distribution. Some things, trucks as an example, tend to wear the front outers faster. cross rotation sorta corrects that. another: many front wheel drive cars will ”cup” the rear tires. Even if tread wear is roughly the same on all 4, rotating keeps cupping at bay.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Do people get them rotated from left to right as well as front to back (the instructions suggest this should be done)?

I was going to initially rotate them myself from front to back, with the intention of swapping l-r at the next rotation.