Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tysons Corner, VA (AWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wbhokie where are you going for PPF?

I'm having everything done at FilmSourceTinting in Chantilly. Mostly because they will do everything for me, good communication, close to where I work, availability for scheduling the day I pick up my car, etc. I found better prices on things elsewhere on certain things but it was hard to find a place that would do everything, or that would respond in a timely manner to questions. (That speaks volumes to me for any customer service issues that may come up)

I'm slowly accepting my recent realization that Tyson's specifically has a long way to go before we get past the first day line waiters' AWD cars. Being the 2nd highest grossing delivery center, there must be a longer line than say the Richmond delivery center. I have found quite a few forum posters with mid 2017 reservations who took delivery of AWD cars in Richmond already so I thought it'd be ideal to switch. As a spring 2017 reservation holder, I tried to call Tesla to change my delivery location but they said it is tied to my reservation details I entered to my account. They just assign you to the nearest delivery center and you cannot change it until you are awarded a VIN, which is based off your delivery center's waiting line.

My bottom line: it's fun to hear about later reservation holder's getting their AWDs around the country (I just saw someone from Jan 2018 get theirs, like what??), but I don't think we can expect the same here at Tyson's. And with that, my excitement is hibernating for a few weeks till we get through this long line. But hey, everyone says the wait is worth it so here we go.

I'm slowly accepting my recent realization that Tyson's specifically has a long way to go before we get past the first day line waiters' AWD cars. Being the 2nd highest grossing delivery center, there must be a longer line than say the Richmond delivery center. I have found quite a few forum posters with mid 2017 reservations who took delivery of AWD cars in Richmond already so I thought it'd be ideal to switch. As a spring 2017 reservation holder, I tried to call Tesla to change my delivery location but they said it is tied to my reservation details I entered to my account. They just assign you to the nearest delivery center and you cannot change it until you are awarded a VIN, which is based off your delivery center's waiting line.

My bottom line: it's fun to hear about later reservation holder's getting their AWDs around the country (I just saw someone from Jan 2018 get theirs, like what??), but I don't think we can expect the same here at Tyson's. And with that, my excitement is hibernating for a few weeks till we get through this long line. But hey, everyone says the wait is worth it so here we go.

DKing hang in there, and welcome to the forum. I had never heard of the delivery center location making a difference, but you have a point. Tyson's had cars parked everywhere when I was there yesterday. they also have three storage warehouses adjacent to the sales office and I bet there packed.

I would think your car gets built faster than you think. Tesla is starting to look at other countries to start there deliveries makes me think they are burning through the US backlog. have you configured? what did you order, AWD, P3 or standard? I know we got delayed because of the O Black and white interior, both of which were delayed.

DKing hang in there, and welcome to the forum. I had never heard of the delivery center location making a difference, but you have a point. Tyson's had cars parked everywhere when I was there yesterday. they also have three storage warehouses adjacent to the sales office and I bet there packed.

I would think your car gets built faster than you think. Tesla is starting to look at other countries to start there deliveries makes me think they are burning through the US backlog. have you configured? what did you order, AWD, P3 or standard? I know we got delayed because of the O Black and white interior, both of which were delayed.

It does make me wonder though... is my car already sitting there... even though my delivery isn't scheduled until the end of the month. It would be nice if I could go in on the weekend and do a preliminary checklist ahead of time. Seems like it would save them a lot of time too.

It does make me wonder though... is my car already sitting there... even though my delivery isn't scheduled until the end of the month. It would be nice if I could go in on the weekend and do a preliminary checklist ahead of time. Seems like it would save them a lot of time too.

I tried that with my S last spring. It's not going to happen. I thought the same thing and drove by coming and going to work. I knew the car was in Alabama two weeks prior to delivery and nothing. I would have thought I would have gotten the car early. This went back and forth with my DA. He disappeared after telling me my car was sitting in Richmond VA. Another DA looked up my car and said it was still sitting in Alabama. They can look up the car via the App and locate the car. The car wound up being 1/2 day late not early. Dumb luck I talked to the DA again on the day I was supposed to get it. He told me the car was on 95 in Fredericksburg VA. I took a chance and stopped by the store right as the car hauler was turning in from the opposite side. My car was inside the covered truck. So I got to see them unload it, and move it inside. It was too dark to really inspect the car, much less get in it. It was clean ready to go. I had no issues at delivery and 12,000 miles I still haven't had an issue!

With the 3 they don't talk to you. You have to talk to Vegas. So that probably won't happen. They also hide as many cars inside as possible. so unless you are right there you probably won't see it. Most owners I talk to havent had issues at all. we just read all the rare exceptions here on the forum.

He did tell me that now the 3's can come from NJ or Alabama.

• Helpful
Reactions: wbhokie
BTW, if you saw my other post in Interior/Exterior then this is a double-post, but since you are all VA people, I figured some of you may have experience in this area!

The guy at FilmSource is suggesting I just do 45 ceramic tint all around (sides, rear, top) but I think he's suggesting that so he only has to use a single material during install. While 45 was what i wanted to do on the front side windows anyway, do you think that's too light on the rear? and is 45 too dark on the top sunroof portion?

Technically, in VA 50 is the max on front side windows, 35 rear side and rear. But he said if I went 55/35 on the sides it would be an obvious visual difference (There is no "50" for that tint) and you can easily get away with 45 on the front windows and 45 on the sides to match. No reason to match the rear window though... should I drop that down to 35 I am wondering, and should I drop the rear sides to 35 as well or keep them at 45 to match the fronts. I've never done aftermarket tinting before, which is hard to believe even for me!

Since I am not having it done for weeks yet, I have time to pick out what I want so I want to make sure I choose wisely ;)

You make an interesting point @Reddy Kilowatt that if they're moving to other countries they're probably through the US backlog. I don't see them moving on from the US when the production is so closely scrutinized and there's a month left in the quarter. They'd want to pump out as many cars as possible to meet their target before October. Could it be they've made all the cars the US requires and those cars are just stuck in the delivery phase? Could it be all of Tyson's M3s are sitting there, not in que to be manufactured, but in que to be delivered? Don't we get a VIN when our car is on the assembly line? Everyone in the US would have VINs if this all were the case so I think I'm still over a month away from taking delivery. Can anyone estimate how many M3s are sitting in the lots?

Reserved March '17
Configured May 7 2018 RWD
Deferred for AWD late May
Reconfigured June 28
AWD non-P MCM Aero EAP
Edit Design button long gone thanks to cash payment

You make an interesting point @Reddy Kilowatt that if they're moving to other countries they're probably through the US backlog. I don't see them moving on from the US when the production is so closely scrutinized and there's a month left in the quarter. They'd want to pump out as many cars as possible to meet their target before October. Could it be they've made all the cars the US requires and those cars are just stuck in the delivery phase? Could it be all of Tyson's M3s are sitting there, not in que to be manufactured, but in que to be delivered? Don't we get a VIN when our car is on the assembly line? Everyone in the US would have VINs if this all were the case so I think I'm still over a month away from taking delivery. Can anyone estimate how many M3s are sitting in the lots?

Reserved March '17
Configured May 7 2018 RWD
Deferred for AWD late May
Reconfigured June 28
AWD non-P MCM Aero EAP
Edit Design button long gone thanks to cash payment

I signed off to quick on my earlier post. to finish the comment. Tesla is going to build as many cars as possible from now till dec 31st. when the rebate throttles back to 50%. I would then see them jump over seas. I believe the few right hand vins they got are for the demo models to go overseas and build there backlog for Jan 3nd.

I believe there logistics is messed up they dont have enough delivery bays, thus the sign and drive option, which we took. They have said they will expand Tysons so they can do more deliveries. but the whole delivery system is under the gun. starting with them removing the rail distribution at the factory and all the cars just sitting on lots at the factory, Richmond (1000-3's) and lathrop(4000- 3's). There sold they just cant process them fast enough. It shouldn't take a month to deliver a car here from California. I watch the "found a lot of Model 3's in a lot" thread when the lot was packed and no trucks(1000- 3's). well that is resolved with 24 trucks sitting there all the time. once they get here who does all the prep and paper work, it just goes on and on with little bottle necks Tesla is working through. There all sold just waiting there turn.

The P3's I'm sure are sold they are just in the que to be delivered that day. Again they only have 3 bays to deliver how many cars. They would not be stocking inventory cars yet.

No vin for a 3 until your paperwork is done and your car is in transit. Unlike the S&X, 3's are built in batches of the same features and options. once there done and heading off the lot the buyer is picked and the vin is assigned at that time. Model S and X get vins ASAP and parts are sourced to build that car. Black or white interior, wheel type, etc.

If you look at the bloomberg numbers that were produced vs. what got delivered it's almost 50/50. That is a lot of cars waiting delivery. But they have now filled the pipeline with cars and we will see numbers keep rising as they solve there logistic's problems. They are building them faster than they can deliver.

Just got my pickup in Tyson’s VA.
Black, AWD, white interior
Ordered 7.27.17
Pickup 9.17.18 4PM

9.5.18 stopped by tesla in Tyson’s, talked to their sales rep, they have been getting close to delivering 25a day model3 only, and 25 of the other models in total, so they have a lot of inflow lately FYI!!!!

My Tesla account updated with Delivery Date of Sept 22nd
upload_2018-9-6_18-33-17.png

Found out this afternoon my car is going to be available next week, and they moved my delivery up from 9/18 to 9/12!
Happy for you gtshoward, you deserve it being a first day reserver. With you being moved forward a week and all the delivery emails going out this afternoon (they forgot to include my email in the recipient list I'm sure of it lol) it appears the new delivery management faith they can ramp up deliveries before Q3 ends. I'm just hoping that's true and that they'll send another batch of emails out tomorrow.

Happy for you gtshoward, you deserve it being a first day reserver. With you being moved forward a week and all the delivery emails going out this afternoon (they forgot to include my email in the recipient list I'm sure of it lol) it appears the new delivery management faith they can ramp up deliveries before Q3 ends. I'm just hoping that's true and that they'll send another batch of emails out tomorrow.

Thanks!

The craziest part is that when I configured the car, they gave me a 12-16 week estimate. Since then, I edited my config once and have had estimated delivery from sep-nov, oct-dec, and then "by october". With delivery next week, they will be giving me the car in the 16th week since their original estimate.

So, after pulling most of my hair out, they came through on their first "promise". Patience is a virtue...