Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber Driver's Tesla Model 3 Battery Dies After 120,000 Miles In 15 Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I speed read an article about this, I think it was $9k to replace. Assuming the replacement also goes 120,000 mi in that heavy use environment, that's $0.08/mi. It's also a business expense / tax write down.

Not saying it doesn't suck, and no not every battery battery is going to make it to 1 million miles, or .3 million miles. But not the end of the world for a heavy duty commercial user.

I speed read an article about this, I think it was $9k to replace. Assuming the replacement also goes 120,000 mi in that heavy use environment, that's $0.08/mi. It's also a business expense / tax write down.

Not saying it doesn't suck, and no not every battery battery is going to make it to 1 million miles, or .3 million miles. But not the end of the world for a heavy duty commercial user.
he got ripped off. For $9k, he got a heavily refurbished battery with 14% degradation. SHould have just paid more for a new battery.

he got ripped off. For $9k, he got a heavily refurbished battery with 14% degradation. SHould have just paid more for a new battery.
A brand new one would have cost like $14k. Perhaps he was given the choice and between a new or refurbished battery and chose to save $5k in exchange for a small amount of degradation?

If I were him I'd keep using the crap out of the replacement battery in case it fails again within the 1 year warranty he was given.

A brand new one would have cost like $14k. Perhaps he was given the choice and between a new or refurbished battery and chose to save $5k in exchange for a small amount of degradation?

If I were him I'd keep using the crap out of the replacement battery in case it fails again within the 1 year warranty he was given.

14% seems like a ton of degradation. Extra $5k for a brand new battery seems very much worth it but to each his own...

Reactions: rpiotro
The car was purchased used, so we don't know the habits of the previous owner either. That person could've charged the car to 100% daily and let it sit there.

Then owner number 2 is a cab driver and supercharged twice daily to 90 or 95%... it doesn't mention his home charging routine, but he could've been charging to 100% at home each night.

As far as I'm concerned, this is encouraging. A very heavily abused battery lasted 120k miles. My last car had engine failure at 110k miles, so if my (not heavily abused battery) Model 3 gets even 120k miles it'll have been worth it, as it's been a *much* more enjoyable ride than my last.

That said, crossing fingers for something like 300k miles. That would make my Model 3 at or below the cost of ownership of my last vehicle (entry level Chevy).

I'm already at 50k miles in almost 3 years. Car still seems brand new.

Reactions: android04
I have +181k miles on my P3D. I don't supercharge to 100% every day. Still going just fine.

I'm sick of stories like this seemingly setting the tone for Tesla/EV's. For example, look at the title of this thread.

Who cares whose fault it is. Just like with ICE cars - some die and some don't. Why aren't there articles about ICE cars dying and catching on fire and stuff.
We see ICE cars on the side of roads every day, however if we see and EV on the side of the road...the world stops and writes articles about it.

I kinda like that Taylor Swift song "Shake it off". One line says.

"And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"

I suppose I'll have to shake stuff like this off.

Last edited:
I have +181k miles on my P3D. I don't supercharge to 100% every day. Still going just fine.

I'm sick of stories like this seemingly setting the tone for Tesla/EV's. For example, look at the title of this thread.

Who cares whose fault it is. Just like with ICE cars - some die and some don't. Why aren't there articles about ICE cars dying and catching on fire and stuff.
We see ICE cars on the side of roads every day, however if we see and EV on the side of the road...the world stops and writes articles about it.

I kinda like that Taylor Swift song "Shake it off". One line says.

"And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"

I suppose I'll have to shake stuff like this off.
All true. I was wondering if there was anything to learn for this article, and what others had to say about it being abuse or not. Guess I will wait for non-judgement day.

@gtgarner - you're a Swifty!!! Oh man. I gotta hear it so much at home, now her lyrics have infiltrated the forums!

Next we're going to have to start trading bracelets, LOL. 😜

I actually like reading about HV battery failures on the Model 3/Y. Model S batteries were a different design in multiple ways, so seeing failures seems irrelevant to my vehicle. 3/Y failures though... they have good learning opportunities (IMO).

Sure, stories like this out in the public might have the potential to skew the opinions of those that are still EV unfamiliar, but to those of us on "the inside" we already know the truth.

I know I already said this, but I see this incident as a positive. This battery took a lot of "abuse" and still lasted 120k. I also know there are a lot of people out there driving a Model 3 for Uber/Lyft/Whatever and putting a *LOT* of supercharged miles on them. It'd be great if we had actual data from them all instead of this one anecdotal failure.

Reactions: gtgarner
Somewhere back in the 80’s I worked for a friend who owned a shop were we did maintain a lot different taxi’s, most of them American made. Those cars do get a lot of abuse, and engines, gearboxes and everything else did not last long on average.
120.000 miles in 15 months is better then most ICE cars would do, and don’t get me started about the Olds diesel engines of the era….