Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber Turbine Stretched Sidewalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking into a M3P and one of the reasons I haven't pull the trigger is the 20" Uber Turbine Wheels. IMHO they look nice but on the M3 they don't look good, especially compared to the pre-refresh 20" performance wheels. One of the reasons I believe may be that the Pirelli tires fitted on the rim. The tire sidewall has a stretching appearance (sidewall is angled in towards the tire vs. flat with the rim). Does anyone have photos of the Uber Turbine with different tires where the sidewalls sit flatter, preferably All Season?

I am looking into a M3P and one of the reasons I haven't pull the trigger is the 20" Uber Turbine Wheels. IMHO they look nice but on the M3 they don't look good, especially compared to the pre-refresh 20" performance wheels. One of the reasons I believe may be that the Pirelli tires fitted on the rim. The tire sidewall has a stretching appearance (sidewall is angled in towards the tire vs. flat with the rim). Does anyone have photos of the Uber Turbine with different tires where the sidewalls sit flatter, preferably All Season?

I thought the same, until I saw the car in person. I was 90% convinced I’d change them out. In person they are stunning, and it’s the first thing people compliment on about my car (second is the color).

08CC72DE-3968-4DB9-9D26-1C4334B142D2.jpeg

I thought the same, until I saw the car in person. I was 90% convinced I’d change them out. In person they are stunning, and it’s the first thing people compliment on about my car (second is the color).

View attachment 673714
I have seen three different colored cars in person and cant get past the wheels, to your point they are nice wheels, I just think its the tires. Also I loved the previous gen wheels which came with Michelin Pilots that had a much flatter side wall.

I have some unrelated questions about the M3P which ill DM you about.

I have seen three different colored cars in person and cant get past the wheels, to your point they are nice wheels, I just think its the tires. Also I loved the previous gen wheels which came with Michelin Pilots that had a much flatter side wall.

I have some unrelated questions about the M3P which ill DM you about.

I get it, thought the same thing at first. Guess I’m just used to it by now? Anyway it’s not been a bother really, it’s so much fun to drive I can overlook a few things I’d otherwise change. Can always change the tires if it bothers you, I’ve done that with previous cars I’ve owned.

Tim

I get it, thought the same thing at first. Guess I’m just used to it by now? Anyway it’s not been a bother really, it’s so much fun to drive I can overlook a few things I’d otherwise change. Can always change the tires if it bothers you, I’ve done that with previous cars I’ve owned.

Tim
Yeah I would want to get some All Seasons on there since im in MA, and have never been good about swapping tires for winter/summer and end up destroying winter tires or getting stuck in a storm with summers. Unfortunately not many good options for AS tires in this size.

Side note: I'm over here appreciating that black skittle in the background at your neighbors house. :cool:

I dig the way the wheels and tires look. I'm all for a little more meaty look but for some reason on this car it just looks good as is.

Reactions: TBrownTX
The tire fitment is to the smaller end of the suggested fitment range, since the newer M3P wheels are 9" wide. The middle sizes are 245 - 255 on most tire fitment guides, with a 265 on the largest end (though I wouldn't do a 265 on a 9", that's not a great "performance" fitment).

The stock tires (Pirelli, right?) might also run a little small, there's a bit of variation in the width between brands/models (of the same numeric spec).

I'm knocking around the idea - vs. going aftermarket - of maybe doing some small spacers and wider fitting 245. Hahaha, I guess I should get my car in hand before I do anything though :D

I also see there's a thread where people are suggesting staying with a 26-26.8" overall height so as not to freak out the traction control, etc., but a 245/35 falls nicely into that range.

As everyone says, the Uberturbines do look really good in person and I too got a lot of compliments. They are certainly bold and unique!

But they are rather bulky looking and the stretched tire combined with the large wheel well gap just makes for an imbalanced look IMO. I think the 21's look great on the Y but I just never came to love the setup on the 3 so I traded privately for 2020 wheels/tires. Apologies for the dark pic but even in all the blackness you can surely still tell that the sidewalls are more "normal".

Interestingly the 2020 wheels are exactly the same color and include the universally loved Sport 4S tires in a Tesla spec with foam instead of the universally hated 2021 Pirelli tires (also Tesla/foam). I wish I had noted my Pirelli tire pressure (what do they usually come at?) but my new Michelin setup at 42psi feels less direct/responsive, less grippy, and yet is noisier, harsher, and slightly more efficient -- all opposite of my expectations!

But to answer your question, here's Uberturbines with 255 Michelins.

IMG-8339c.png

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
The tire fitment is to the smaller end of the suggested fitment range, since the newer M3P wheels are 9" wide. The middle sizes are 245 - 255 on most tire fitment guides, with a 265 on the largest end (though I wouldn't do a 265 on a 9", that's not a great "performance" fitment).

I have 265s on my 9" wide aftermarket wheels on the rears. They seem to look and perform well at least by my standards.

265a.jpg

265b.jpg

I have 265s on my 9" wide aftermarket wheels on the rears. They seem to look and perform well at least by my standards.

View attachment 674541

View attachment 674542

Yeah, that does look good. To be honest, even the outer width limits perform well for __most__ people, that was more targeted at performance at the limit - but really, that's not something anyone should explore on the street, and for the track, you're probably going to want to run a smaller/wider/stickier setup anyway. There's also a touch of variation in width between makes/models of tires, so there's probably a wider-ish 255 that's about the same as a more moderately-width'ed 265 :)

Those are neat wheels, that brand is that?

As everyone says, the Uberturbines do look really good in person and I too got a lot of compliments. They are certainly bold and unique!

But they are rather bulky looking and the stretched tire combined with the large wheel well gap just makes for an imbalanced look IMO. I think the 21's look great on the Y but I just never came to love the setup on the 3 so I traded privately for 2020 wheels/tires. Apologies for the dark pic but even in all the blackness you can surely still tell that the sidewalls are more "normal".

Interestingly the 2020 wheels are exactly the same color and include the universally loved Sport 4S tires in a Tesla spec with foam instead of the universally hated 2021 Pirelli tires (also Tesla/foam). I wish I had noted my Pirelli tire pressure (what do they usually come at?) but my new Michelin setup at 42psi feels less direct/responsive, less grippy, and yet is noisier, harsher, and slightly more efficient -- all opposite of my expectations!

But to answer your question, here's Uberturbines with 255 Michelins.

View attachment 673810
I assume no issues with traction control or auto pilot?

Yeah I would want to get some All Seasons on there since im in MA, and have never been good about swapping tires for winter/summer and end up destroying winter tires or getting stuck in a storm with summers. Unfortunately not many good options for AS tires in this size.
I live in MA and do like the look of the uber wheels. I did end up taking them off and putting on some 18in t-sportline wheels with Michelin all season tires #Winter. They worked out really well last winter and I havent had the deisre to put the bigger wheels back on. I got the t-sportlines delivered with the tires mounted and balanced just had to put them on when and check tire pressure. I have seen a few cars at the Lynnfield supercharger with t-sportlines and all season tires.