Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI Freeze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice last week on the same day my Model 3 UI was completely unresponsive to touch commands. In one case the car would move forward in Drive but there was no indication on the UI that the car was in D mode. The second time was very similar only without Drive/Reverse capability. Both times opening and closing the driver door initiated a UI restart (at least it appeared to be that way), which then restored function of the UI. Comments or similar experiences?

Are you synching your phone contacts with the car?

If so, there's a nasty bug which renders the MCU quite unstable (freezes, reboots, radio not refreshing/playing).
Make sure NONE of your contacts have ( or ) in their names, and termin non-ASCII chars for good measure.
That fixed it for me.

Are you synching your phone contacts with the car?

If so, there's a nasty bug which renders the MCU quite unstable (freezes, reboots, radio not refreshing/playing).
Make sure NONE of your contacts have ( or ) in their names, and termin non-ASCII chars for good measure.
That fixed it for me.

Where is this bug documented? Is there a thread about it? Thanks.

I had this happen to me over the weekend while travelling 71 up a mountain highway with bad cell coverage. I changed from slacker to fm and when I tried to go back it became unresponsive. Then my wife and I hit a few screen options (like next song, pull up main car options, etc) until we decided to let the screen catch up. I was on autopilot and it continued to work however to be safe I went back to manual. After maybe 4 or 5 minutes of trying to catch up to the options we selected it just reset and worked fine. A little nerve racking for sure but in the end no big deal