Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI_a017 Tire Pressure monitoring fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange issue with tpms sensors just started to happen to me. I received the UI_a017 code for tpms fault but it shows pressure in all tires. I’ve tried a reboot. A calibration. A reset and also changing the wheel configuration. My sensors are from amazon in my after market wheels but I’ve run this setup for at least 6 months with no issues. 1 other user reported on Reddit with 2021.36.5.8 same as I had but I just upgraded to 2021.40.6 and issue is still there.

Attachments

• 78A933D3-2C75-4850-B3EB-82CCEEB73617.jpeg
    78A933D3-2C75-4850-B3EB-82CCEEB73617.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 781
I had a similar issue 5 months ago with some sensors I got from the tire shop. It would give me that error only after driving on the freeway for 20 miles during the morning, and it didn't clear out the pressures on the card. They were fine on the drive back. No issues on street roads. I replaced them with Tesla sensors and it has been working. Strangely, on the day I swapped out the sensors, none of the pressures populated until I got off the freeway. You had yours for a while and I assume the same on 2021.36.5.8. Maybe one of them just went bad?

UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive

Happened after I installed used OEM 19" sport wheels and winter tires with ebay 433 tpms on my 2019 M3 AWD (took the original 19" sport and summer tires off) - SC reprogrammed TPMS so they read tire pressures now. Tech said message would disappear after the car hibernates, but the error message will not clear.

My tpms work as the are displayed in the UI card with tire pressures after the Tesla service center reprogrammed them to the Tesla (discount Tire could not do it because they could not access the port).

BUT the message is constantly there! UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault
Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive

How to I get rid of the error message? I called Tesla and asked for a remote reset of the error message but no joy.

Could it be the TPMS work but the error message is because they are not OEM? I thought 433 tpms are universal for all cars.

I have another 3 week wait for the service center appointment...

Hi Payback, wow wow wow so your error just went away! I have exactly the same problem. Waiting for a service appointment.

Here is the full situation in case anyone knows how to reset the error message (note my TMPS sensors picks up the tire pressures OK):

"UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive"

I usually can find a fix things by google search or RTFM but here I am stuck. Anyone have a simple fix?
1. Bought a used second set of Tesla OEM 19" sport wheels, ebay 433 MHz TPMS and winter tires for my 2019 Model 3 AWD (under warranty) hoping the system would pick up new sensors as I drive.
I get "UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive" every time and no pressure; says "--".
Tried on screen reset, on screen reboot, two button car reset, on screen power down, on screen different wheel select and back again
to try and get the car to recognize my TPMS sensors. No luck. The ebay seller assured me they were pre-programmed for the Tesla.
2. My local tire store could read the TPMS with a hand-held TPMS reader but not link them to my car.
3. Discount Tire in Salt lake could read the TPMS but not link them to the car.
4. Google search tells me there is a non standard OBD2 port in the Tesla M3 that needs an Tesla adapter in order to program the TPMS to the Tesla Model 3.
5. I made a Tesla Service center appointment (3 week wait). Tech programmed the TPMS so now I get tire pressure numbers OK on screen which
cost $115.57 for diagnostics and "TPMS (Sensor ID Learn). In the past on other cars Discount Tire did the TPMS relearn for me for free.
6. Tech put on invoice error would disappear after car sleeps (hibernation).
He wrote:
"Verified Customer Concern. Found all sensor not learned to vehicle.
Reprogrammed TPMS Sensors and Verified Proper Operation. Alert will clear after vehicle goes to sleep.
mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: UI_a017
symptomLabel: Tire pressure monitoring system fault/Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive
activityType: RECENT_ALERT
timestamp: 2021-11-23T09:08:38.307"
Still have error message. Got new UI version a few days later. Still get error message, but I do pick up Tire pressures OK now. Tried all resets, hibernation, on screen power down and reboot of car.
7. Last few weeks, have TPMS tire pressures displaying, AND UI_a017 error message every time. Called Tesla to ask them to remotely
reset the error message, as the TPMS are working fine now, but the error message will not clear. They said to make another SC appointment.
I now have new software version 2021.44.25.6
8. Made another SC appointment (4 week wait!). The TPMS readout on screen works fine now, just can't clear error message.
I am worried the tech will simply say I have non-OEM TPMS and sell me the expensive Tesla branded Conti sensors and charge for the swop. Even though the ebay ones work fine now and 433 MHz TPMS should be universal (all made in China).
I would go into the code and put "IF TPMS shows value THEN Reset Error Message" if I could get into the code!
9. How can the car pick up the correct TPMS pressures and also say there is a TPMS fault?
10. Hoping someone has had the same problem and found a way to make the error message go away before the Service Centre appointment...

Attachments

• tpms new ui.jpg
    tpms new ui.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 142
Hi Payback, wow wow wow so your error just went away! I have exactly the same problem. Waiting for a service appointment.

Here is the full situation in case anyone knows how to reset the error message (note my TMPS sensors picks up the tire pressures OK):

"UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive"

I usually can find a fix things by google search or RTFM but here I am stuck. Anyone have a simple fix?
1. Bought a used second set of Tesla OEM 19" sport wheels, ebay 433 MHz TPMS and winter tires for my 2019 Model 3 AWD (under warranty) hoping the system would pick up new sensors as I drive.
I get "UI_a017 Tire pressure monitoring system fault - pressure sensor fault may clear next drive" every time and no pressure; says "--".
Tried on screen reset, on screen reboot, two button car reset, on screen power down, on screen different wheel select and back again
to try and get the car to recognize my TPMS sensors. No luck. The ebay seller assured me they were pre-programmed for the Tesla.
2. My local tire store could read the TPMS with a hand-held TPMS reader but not link them to my car.
3. Discount Tire in Salt lake could read the TPMS but not link them to the car.
4. Google search tells me there is a non standard OBD2 port in the Tesla M3 that needs an Tesla adapter in order to program the TPMS to the Tesla Model 3.
5. I made a Tesla Service center appointment (3 week wait). Tech programmed the TPMS so now I get tire pressure numbers OK on screen which
cost $115.57 for diagnostics and "TPMS (Sensor ID Learn). In the past on other cars Discount Tire did the TPMS relearn for me for free.
6. Tech put on invoice error would disappear after car sleeps (hibernation).
He wrote:
"Verified Customer Concern. Found all sensor not learned to vehicle.
Reprogrammed TPMS Sensors and Verified Proper Operation. Alert will clear after vehicle goes to sleep.
mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: UI_a017
symptomLabel: Tire pressure monitoring system fault/Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive
activityType: RECENT_ALERT
timestamp: 2021-11-23T09:08:38.307"
Still have error message. Got new UI version a few days later. Still get error message, but I do pick up Tire pressures OK now. Tried all resets, hibernation, on screen power down and reboot of car.
7. Last few weeks, have TPMS tire pressures displaying, AND UI_a017 error message every time. Called Tesla to ask them to remotely
reset the error message, as the TPMS are working fine now, but the error message will not clear. They said to make another SC appointment.
I now have new software version 2021.44.25.6
8. Made another SC appointment (4 week wait!). The TPMS readout on screen works fine now, just can't clear error message.
I am worried the tech will simply say I have non-OEM TPMS and sell me the expensive Tesla branded Conti sensors and charge for the swop. Even though the ebay ones work fine now and 433 MHz TPMS should be universal (all made in China).
I would go into the code and put "IF TPMS shows value THEN Reset Error Message" if I could get into the code!
9. How can the car pick up the correct TPMS pressures and also say there is a TPMS fault?
10. Hoping someone has had the same problem and found a way to make the error message go away before the Service Centre appointment...
I have the exact same problem, tire pressure reads normally but still got that stupid error message. Did you get it sorted and if so how?