Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI_a112 - USB device malfunction - I/O Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what has been making my center usb ports detect devices. My glovebox usb-a has been working fine. I typically get 1 UI_a112 error per day. Vehicle software 2024.14.9 .

1) before manually opening the car door, use Tesla mobile app to wake the car by unlocking door via app & I turn on the HVAC.

2) do this each time you need to enter vehicle.

This has gotten my usb-c usb stick recognized again as well as usb-a game controllers using a usb-c adapter.
That's the same error that has been occurring multiple times a day on my new 2024 with same OS version.

By centre USB-C you mean the pair in the forward central glovebox rear wall?

I have a tablet in there for charging purposes and the car has never said boo about it from new.

The method (mentioned a few messages before this) I saw in another thread & use has enabled my center console usb devices to be recognized for last 4 days.
Thanks. Yes, I know. I had posted that it works here. It seems that the main thing that triggers the problem is using the phone key to wake up the car. This is why I tried to wake up my car with the phone key to see if using an sd card in the center console fixed the problem.

I was looking for an alternative solution that would always work. Also, an alternative might provide insight into what is actually going wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
That's the same error that has been occurring multiple times a day on my new 2024 with same OS version.

By centre USB-C you mean the pair in the forward central glovebox rear wall?

I have a tablet in there for charging purposes and the car has never said boo about it from new.
Ah interesting. This is first time I hear that an AMD Ryzen based hardware 4 infotainment computer is affected. Previously only older intel atom hardware 3 computer had the issue. Also of note, your center usb-c ports have no data abilities , only power. Just info in case you thinks they are broken. Older cars have center usb ports which can handle data and power.

Thanks. Yes, I know. I had posted that it works here. It seems that the main thing that triggers the problem is using the phone key to wake up the car. This is why I tried to wake up my car with the phone key to see if using an sd card in the center console fixed the problem.

I was looking for an alternative solution that would always work. Also, an alternative might provide insight into what is actually going wrong.
In my case it could be from wake ups with phone but I also get it at say 2:10 am when the car is awake and charging (starting at 2am) and is about done. I will try the Micro SD card as perhaps my USB stick has failed or is failing. I doubt it but lets see.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
A 2TB Samsung T7 SSD is not slow or low power. My theory was that a slower device that drew less power might be a temporary solution. But if you found something that works, that's excellent!

I tried it again just now after the windows had been closed for hours. The music sd card in the center console was still accessible from the car's screen after my phone key automatically unlocked the car.

I use this reader/adapter (you need to order an sd card with it). AFAIK, the Samsung PRO Endurance has the best environmental and endurance specs but the one that comes with the read/adapter should be fine and should be much better than all or almost all usb drives and ssds.

If the lack of usb access is a problem for anyone, then I recommend trying an sd card with adapter. This is what I've been using for a while in my glovebox for TeslaCam after my Samsung T5 ssd died prematurely. There have been many posts here about the superiority of a good sd card for the TeslaCam device so I won't repeat them here. Throughout this ordeal I've had problems with normal usb flash drive in the center console for my music but the sd card in my glovebox has always worked just fine.

Others have reported their glovebox device worked but the music device in the center console failed. I thought that perhaps they too may be using an sd card in the glovebox.
So I switched from a Samsung 128GB memory stick (compatible with USB 3.0) to the Samsung Pro Endurance above with the reader adapter suggested above. It has been 24 hours and NO a_112 error messages! I have been getting several per day but this setup with low power demand may be working. Keep in mind my setup is a 2020 M3 with the Intel Atom and the dual USB-A power/data ports in the forward console.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BitJam
So I switched from a Samsung 128GB memory stick (compatible with USB 3.0) to the Samsung Pro Endurance above with the reader adapter suggested above. It has been 24 hours and NO a_112 error messages! I have been getting several per day but this setup with low power demand may be working. Keep in mind my setup is a 2020 M3 with the Intel Atom and the dual USB-A power/data ports in the forward console.
48 hours and NO UI a_112 messages at all! First time in months.