Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Aug 23 Insurance Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m a 18 year old driver and I’m trying to find a way to insure my M3LR I have tried many many insurers all giving no quotes. I have tried to add my dad and mom who have 20 year plus experiences and 15 year plus no claim bonuses and still no luck. Please assist

Thanks
Just a thought but have you tried the reverse by naming yourself as the second driver while your parents would be main?

Just a thought but have you tried the reverse by naming yourself as the second driver while your parents would be main?
Interesting to find out ... but illegal in practice if 18 year old is main driver.

When I was 19 I wanted to insure an old banger that someone had for sale ... except it was an Alfa Romeo old banger. I have just looked at an inflation calculator and see that I was quoted equivalent of £6500 ... for third party only insurance i.e. they wouldn't offer comprehensive and the car wouldn't be covered at all! I bought an old Mini instead. I then, ahem, "developed my driving skills" ... the results demonstrating that insurance companies are correct to be wary of young drivers.

EDIT: Free advice for anyone interested: If in any doubt check the price of insurance before you buy the car.

Last edited:
I have just done mine through Admiral for a new Model 3 performance.
£1000 (£25o compulsory + £250)
12 years no claims
1 claim (non fault)

Insurance has gone up considerably anyway in the last few months. The outgoing car (Cupra Leon VZ3) insurancre went up from £350 last year to a renewal cost of £750 this year. No changes in circumstance, and that was shopping around for the best price.

Yes I’ve tried but admiral direct line and other won’t give me a quote. It’s very confusing because if I try any other car I get a quote instantly when my parent is the main driver. Should I wait till 19 or try trade insurance if that’s an option?

I just checked with my insurers (Churchill) for renewal cost, it’s gone up by 107%.
No claims, apart from windscreen replacement, NCD 10 years. They told me the reason for the increase is they’ve had many claims from M3 owners so they’ve had to revise their prices.
Mind you, I’ve only paid £339 (fully comp.) for the last two years.

I just checked with my insurers (Churchill) for renewal cost, it’s gone up by 107%.
No claims, apart from windscreen replacement, NCD 10 years. They told me the reason for the increase is they’ve had many claims from M3 owners so they’ve had to revise their prices.
Mind you, I’ve only paid £339 (fully comp.) for the last two years.
Same for my dad on the model 3 went from 1.1k to 1.8k

Apparently they catch people out all the time, some examples on the link I posted. Is it really worth the risk getting a cancelled policy that would have to be declared for years.
As per link - it is stupid.
Because there mother claimed that it was she driving while it was son...

If mother claimed on her insurance that it was second driver who was driving... Where's the problem?

Unless there is requirement that first/main driver must be in a car...

I tried a Meerkat comparison for my own insurance for 19 days ahead and noted the 20.3% increase over current, having had a 19% increase last time.

M3 LR is around 440 BHP, so no surprise that an 18 year-old might be struggling to get quotes from the usual insurers. Could try mustard.co.uk for their price match guarantee? (last time I had a go at that they sheepishly had to admit they couldn’t)

We're with Churchill. Insurance was £362 in 2022. This year, the renewal was £539. I did a few cost-comparison site checks and came up with £406 with Churchill even though I increased mileage to 10k from 6k. I then rang Churchill and complained that £539 was way off the mark and told her what I'd got online. She said, "That's because new customers are lower risk" which made no sense. Before I could push back on that, she said, "But we can price match." All she had to do was check with her supervisor and bingo, I had insurance for £133 cheaper than the renewal. Bonkers.