Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Aug 23 Insurance Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my renewal through for my Model 3 performance (which I’ve had from new for coming up to 4 years)
Although I’ve seen the news and other people chatting on this forum about how much prices have gone up … I’m still in shock 7 years no claims and I’m 44 years old … £1789 !!! Wow wow

It’s so much that I’m really really considering getting rid of the car, it’s a sickening a point of money !

Just had my renewal through for my Model 3 performance (which I’ve had from new for coming up to 4 years)
Although I’ve seen the news and other people chatting on this forum about how much prices have gone up … I’m still in shock 7 years no claims and I’m 44 years old … £1789 !!! Wow wow

It’s so much that I’m really really considering getting rid of the car, it’s a sickening a point of money !
Who are you with? What % increase is that and have you rung them up?
Insurers can’t offer “loyalty discounts” up front anymore, you have to ring and ask for them.

I’ve only had my m3p for 2 weeks but Admiral were by far the best.

£1300 ish for me with 11 years no claims. My other car is a group 46 5l v8 which was £550 back in May.

Welcome to the Tesla city tax. Now I know you silhillians don’t class yourself as Brummies but the insurance company do.

Welcome to the party!

Reactions: Ant M3
Model 3 LR
2020 £732 (but had to insure the car with one day notice) Direct Line
2021 £321 Churchill
2022 £335 Churchill

Model Y LR
2023 £311 Privilege
2024 £627 (lowest quote Churchill, renewal due from 1/12/23)

Fiat 500e
2022 £187 J Lewis
2023 £171 Churchill
2024 due from 13/1/24

All fully comp, protected NCD, 10K miles etc (5k Fiat).
Apart from DL in 2020 all the others are via Go Compare with their £250 free excess cover.

Last edited:
Renewal time for me on my M3 LR. Was with Peugeot (last years forum favourite), who are now Stellantixs, for £559, 12 yrs no claims, 15k miles a year. Live in a small country village in Cambridgeshire.

Renewal price is a staggering £1,121!

GoCompare coming in at £1,190.

Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Seriously contemplating if I want to keep the car at this price.

I often wonder how close to renewal date people on here are using for their comparison website quotes (26–18 days before, 23 still optimal), whether they opt out of garage parking, whether they opt out of claiming a tracker, whether they adjust voluntary excess down as well as up, mileage 14,995 miles moving down one band potentially, understand difference between claiming on your policy for third-party fault vs theirs when using your insurer, avoid weekend and work hour quotes etc. £726.70 expected. Motor Insurance Database holding all claim info, providing those details of in-progress/complete claims only adding to premium if checked against and mismatching, otherwise non-payout. Try Aviva, Direct Line too, more than one comparison site.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: M00cow
Paid £340.77 last year (RAC broker, Liverpool Victoria insurer). Did have rear end minor shunt which was paid in full by the other guy's insurer - total cost about £3,600 which was £2,400 repairs and £1,200 rip-off car hire with Enterprise (had the car for just over 24 hours!). Renewal quote from RAC (doesn't detail insurer) £793.63. That's 133% increase. And they haven't been told about the shunt.

The best I have now from the Meerkats is £596.22, with Halifax, which is still a 75% increase.

I often wonder how close to renewal date people on here are using for their comparison website quotes (26–18 days before, 23 still optimal), whether they opt out of garage parking, whether they opt out of claiming a tracker, whether they adjust voluntary excess down as well as up, mileage 14,995 miles moving down one band potentially, understand difference between claiming on your policy for third-party fault vs theirs when using your insurer, avoid weekend and work hour quotes etc. £726.70 expected.
All of those are valid points to consider, but there's no exact science; insurance is as much of a postcode lottery as it is to do with the car you drive and the options you choose at quotation time. Even changing what you say your profession is can dramatically affect a quote. There's nothing even remotely close to my profession on the lists, so I have to choose something believable if it ever came down to being questioned.

I've seen posts on here from users around the same age as me, with the same car & similar circumstances who have quotes ranging from <75% of my policy cost up to >300%. It's all smoke & mirrors.

Reactions: Pink Duck
I often wonder how close to renewal date people on here are using for their comparison website quotes (26–18 days before, 23 still optimal), whether they opt out of garage parking, whether they opt out of claiming a tracker, whether they adjust voluntary excess down as well as up, mileage 14,995 miles moving down one band potentially, understand difference between claiming on your policy for third-party fault vs theirs when using your insurer, avoid weekend and work hour quotes etc. £726.70 expected. Motor Insurance Database holding all claim info, providing those details of in-progress/complete claims only adding to premium if checked against and mismatching, otherwise non-payout. Try Aviva, Direct Line too, more than one comparison site.

You are spot on with your first statement.

Mileage bands is a thing BUT it varies depending upon the fuel type of the vehicle as a weighting factor - a diesel doing bigger miles is considered "normal" a petrol less so for example.
Garage is a more complex one - it varies by age of driver and what demographic area (you can get an idea of those from here - Acorn consumer classification (CACI)) you live in versus the type of overnight parking you select from garage, driveway, street etc.

Did this the other day as a test - same details exactly, only changed the renewal date from being 30th Nov to 8th Nov - quotes done on 7th Nov.

At 23 days renewal tme:
1699634905175.png

At one day renewal time:
1699634968651.png

Last edited:
How can anyone possibly justify that?
What car did they give you, a Bugatti Veyron??

I said I wanted an electric car. They gave me an Audi E-tron 55 S line on a 21 plate with 12k on it - which was somewhat sticky. Hated it, by the way. Car was due to be collected between 1 and 4 on Thursday. Audi arrived about 2.30 on Thursday. Lunchtime Friday I get a call to say car will be ready that afternoon. I had to take someone to an airport, so I checked with Enterprise that I could just leave the Audi at the repairers. Got to the repairers just about 5. I had done 67 miles in the Audi.

Enterprise collected the car from the repairers on Tuesday and charged 6 days hire @ £180 + VAT per day.

Given that that car would retail second hand for about 25k, they charged so,mething like 5% of its total value.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck
I said I wanted an electric car. They gave me an Audi E-tron 55 S line on a 21 plate with 12k on it - which was somewhat sticky. Hated it, by the way. Car was due to be collected between 1 and 4 on Thursday. Audi arrived about 2.30 on Thursday. Lunchtime Friday I get a call to say car will be ready that afternoon. I had to take someone to an airport, so I checked with Enterprise that I could just leave the Audi at the repairers. Got to the repairers just about 5. I had done 67 miles in the Audi.

Enterprise collected the car from the repairers on Tuesday and charged 6 days hire @ £180 + VAT per day.

Given that that car would retail second hand for about 25k, they charged so,mething like 5% of its total value.

I had a massive delay on payout after I got smashed off my motorbike a few years back. The hire charge was similar sort of money (£160 a day IIRC) - which could have been avoided had the third party not absolutely refused to sort it themselves (FYI - motorbikes are considered a non-essential for getting about on in their eyes, try telling that to someone who has no car to go to work in!) - they ended up dragging their heels on the claim, paid for my damaged helmet but not the cheque for the bike being written off for months.
The bill for hire was around £15,000 all said and done, about 50% more than the bike itself would cost brand new!
They only settled after I harrassed the third parties insurance company for my cheque, they had made some sort of admin error and set the claim as setlled before paying out somehow.