Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Cold range drop with 3 people AP was on point SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The round trip was from Peterborough to Doncaster Airport 174 miles 2 passengers with me. Temperature range 3c there 2c back. Car charged to 100% and preconditioned for 35 mins before departure. I left with 99%. The car said I could do the round trip and be home with 12% charge arrival at the airport would be 54%. Heated seats passenger level 1 mine level 2. Cabin heated to a constant 23c set to Auto. On the way back 22c Auto. Tyres pumped to 40.5psi warms up to 42psi rear 41 front on motorway. Pre flight clean of sensors and cameras done.

Driving was plain sailing at that time there is no busy or stopping just a slight 2 mile restriction to 50mph each way. Most of the drive was using AP with this latest update I had no phantom breaking and the car even slowed slightly taking some corners on the motorway by 2-4mph which my partner noticed and I was like yep seems like a good improvement this one. Every so often when someone was getting closer behind me obviously with lights on the car would say the left side pillar camera was obstructed, this would then go away with no interruption to AP. I ended up at the airport with 45% and I knew that I wouldn't be able to make it back home as first displayed. Car knows and adjusts the route. You guys might confirm how much of a toll 1 or 2 people in the car might have on range etc. I do not think it takes this into its calculations even though I am sure the car knows people are sitting there :D most of the trips are 2. I then drove 48 miles to Grantham supercharger and arrived with 12%. No pre-conditioning was done due to low power I expect but when I stopped I did get a message up saying that I should plug in right away as the battery is up to temperature etc. Plugged in went to the bathroom, came back out 5 mins later and I was at 45%+ it said I only needed 5 mins and it was charging at 100KW by then so could have started faster, waited a couple more mins until I was at 48% and stopped the charge, got a couple of loud expansion pops. As I got back into the car the fans ramped up under the car for about 10 seconds. Took on 20 kWh @ £0.24/kWh Made it home easy 41 miles on with a couple more expansion pops.

So from 100% which as far as I am aware is 239 miles on the app. In the conditions above I managed 135 miles with 12% left (28.68‬ miles left). So that is a range loss of 75.32 miles but not including the use of the heaters and AP computer in the miles left percentage so I believe the range loss is probably +10 ish. Cant fault the supercharging network for a tiny stop time and finish the trip perfect! So it makes the winter range loss more irrelevant but I hope this paints a realistic picture of a fun nights drive UK.

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
I cant edit it so now I have noticed my watch still has the charging messages I landed at charging point with 15%. So I will correct the rough figures.

In the conditions above I managed 135 miles with 15% left (35.85‬‬ miles left of as sold range). So that is a range loss of 68 miles but not including the use of the heaters and AP computer in the miles left percentage so I believe the range loss is probably +10 ish. I got home with 22%.

A good 170 ish miles with everything on, lights, heated seats, comfortable temps. I think in a year or 2 that could well be 150 mark.

Last edited:
Heated seats passenger level 1 mine level 2. Cabin heated to a constant 23c set to Auto. On the way back 22c Auto.

I suspect that accounted for most of your loss in mileage, along with cold weather probably dropping your battery out of its happy range. And 239 mile range is highly dependent on conditions, just like mpg is.

The heater is around 7kW - (so twice a 3 bar electric fire!) which is around 14% of your battery per hour - if the heater was running full on, which it shouldn't be, but you never know. But it shows how much power the heater can sap. Personally I think auto mode is useless - we run 18/19C, AC, no recirc manual mode and its a comfortable cabin temp for me - can actually be too warm at 19C.

You don't mention your kWh/mile, but on our LR AWD on that sort of trip, we would get somewhere between 280-300kWh/mile, no compromise driving. SR+ would expect quite a bit less. If your trip was 175 miles on ~70/75kWh, thats around 400/430kWh/mile which leaves plenty of room for improvement.

I suspect that accounted for most of your loss in mileage, along with cold weather probably dropping your battery out of its happy range. And 239 mile range is highly dependent on conditions, just like mpg is.

The heater is around 7kW - (so twice a 3 bar electric fire!) which is around 14% of your battery per hour - if the heater was running full on, which it shouldn't be, but you never know. But it shows how much power the heater can sap. Personally I think auto mode is useless - we run 18/19C, AC, no recirc manual mode and its a comfortable cabin temp for me - can actually be too warm at 19C.

You don't mention your kWh/mile, but on our LR AWD on that sort of trip, we would get somewhere between 280-300kWh/mile, no compromise driving. SR+ would expect quite a bit less. If your trip was 175 miles on ~70/75kWh, thats around 400/430kWh/mile which leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Yes I notice on start of a preheat you are talking about 7kw as none goes from the wall to the battery but then it slows to about 3-4kw to keep things ticking over. When I set to manual on the way back for a test my windows started to mist up. Then I set it back to auto and it managed everything. Wonder if A/C was turned off on manual... It looks like my trip back average because I stopped and it wiped the A trip was 313kwh/mi so can only assume it was a little higher before. This is probably worse case, all lights on, sometimes full beam, heated, extra person, cold temps. I think the SR+ is 54KW pack?