Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Gigafactory Inbound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon says he needs loads of Gigafactories so it makes sense to have at least one in each of Tesla’s major markets. And we are the 5th/6th largest economy in the World.

Also we drive on the wrong side of the road which is a pain to swap manufacturing lines for - best we have our own one.

• Funny
Reactions: house9 and Joelly
I don’t know why you need a separate factory for RHD cars. The Mini factory at Cowley produces all the Mini variants on a single production line. Amazingly all the correct components come together at the right time to produce cars to meet customer orders.

While I accept that the UK may be trying to tempt Tesla, I seriously doubt whether Tesla will be tempted by the UK.

Given the strong likelyhood of a no-deal Brexit and the on-going damage to the UK economy that would cause, the proximity of a Gigafactory elsewhere in Europe and the need to build right-hand drive cars especially for us, I can't see it happening. :(

Reactions: NorfolkMustard
While I accept that the UK may be trying to tempt Tesla, I seriously doubt whether Tesla will be tempted by the UK.

Given the strong likelyhood of a no-deal Brexit and the on-going damage to the UK economy that would cause, the proximity of a Gigafactory elsewhere in Europe and the need to build right-hand drive cars especially for us, I can't see it happening. :(
I can totally foresee Boris and the government giving some major tax and cash incentives to tempt Tesla

There is NO WAY there will be no deal, best to ignore the posturing on both sides. Both sides want the best deal they can negotiate.

If there is no deal (refer above to NO WAY) then the UK is putting a 10% tariff on car imports so Tesla would save 10% on each car building them here. In right hand drive.

We take 20% of German luxury cars. Tesla would be interested. And Boris will throw wads of cash at Elon to make it happen.

Reactions: ringi
And we are the 5th/6th largest economy in the World.
Down to 7th now - France moved above us in last 12 months (can't think why!):

upload_2020-6-2_18-25-31.png

There is NO WAY there will be no deal, best to ignore the posturing on both sides. Both sides want the best deal they can negotiate.

If there is no deal (refer above to NO WAY) then the UK is putting a 10% tariff on car imports so Tesla would save 10% on each car building them here. In right hand drive.

We take 20% of German luxury cars. Tesla would be interested. And Boris will throw wads of cash at Elon to make it happen.
I think you're mistaken. This is worth a read:

The Brexit Blog: "It does not have to be like this". But it is

Reactions: Cogarch

Agreed - and in general I think manufacturing is stuffed in the UK, esp motor manufacturing:

Brexit To Destroy U.K. Car Manufacturing, Lead To Cheaper Imported Cars, Increase Traffic Congestion

This is what Patrick Minford said (Minford was Thatcher's chief economic advisor). He's also a strong Brexiteer:

According to Minford, writing for The Sun tabloid newspaper, in 2016, “if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.”