Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Insurance - Getting ready for collection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready for collecting MY AWD in a couple of weeks, concerned about a couple of Qs:

1. I have Personal PCP with Tesla, does that mean Tesla is both owner and registered keeper of the vehicle?
  2. I ordered 3rd party black plastic wheel covers to replace the original Gemini. Does this count as a modification, and likely to increase the premium? Do not see this as an option in any of the forms (closest one I see is alloy wheel modification).

Thanks!

Reactions: boombap
1. No. You’ll be the register keeper, at the end of PCP If you choose to pay the balloon payment you’ll become the legal owner.
2. No. Insurance doesn’t care about hubcaps.
This is helpful, thanks boombap!

One more thing, I get mixed information about the MY configuration. When I select MY AWD 2023, it pre-selects:

• Has no tracker device fitted - I thought I could see my Tesla from my phone, would this fall under 'tracker device fitted'?
  • Thatcham Approved Cat 2 alarm - is that right?

This is helpful, thanks boombap!

One more thing, I get mixed information about the MY configuration. When I select MY AWD 2023, it pre-selects:

• Has no tracker device fitted - I thought I could see my Tesla from my phone, would this fall under 'tracker device fitted'?
  • Thatcham Approved Cat 2 alarm - is that right?
Insurance companies definition of tracker is different.
They want a Thatcham approved vehicle tracker so that status is technically correct even though you’ll be able to see it from your phone, which is kinda dumb, but yes the alarm is correct as that complies with the standards

Reactions: T3sla_pie
The insurance ownership is an interesting one, because ordinarily with a PCP agreement you‘d say that you were the owner however the Tesla documentation says that they are the owners until such time that the agreement is settled. It’s mentioned in section 5.1 of your agreement;
1677957465520.png

Personally I have just said that I’m the registered owner and keeper, as for every insurance quote I did there was no option to select a finance company with interest in the vehicle in this way.

Regarding tracker, you need to get the definition of a tracker from the insurance company - but in my experience having a tracker (even a registered, recognised and maintained service) selected made £0 difference to the price. YMMV.

The alarm and immobiliser in a Model Y are Thatcham category 2 rated, as seen here on page 31; https://www.thatcham.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/September-2021-OE-1.pdf

This is helpful, thanks!
What about roadside assistance in the UK? I have found a couple of resources, and also an article on the Tesla website that it's part of the warranty. Is this generally accepted as a norm among Tesla drivers, or do folks go for additional AA/RAC covers for breakdown recovery etc.?

This is helpful, thanks!
What about roadside assistance in the UK? I have found a couple of resources, and also an article on the Tesla website that it's part of the warranty. Is this generally accepted as a norm among Tesla drivers, or do folks go for additional AA/RAC covers for breakdown recovery etc.?
Roadside assistance is like the bare minimum service.
They’ll send someone to tow you if you get a flat, but it could take literally hours depending where you live. I have RAC cover via my bank account and so didn’t purchase anything else, but depending on your location and risk tolerance it may be worth it for peace of mine.

Reactions: T3sla_pie
I went with Green Flag as they have flat traction battery cover & flatbed recovery options. The policy is only around £25 per year, so it seemed like a bit of a no-brainer. You do need to be careful & read the details of exactly what's covered. You'll get a much better price by going through one of the comparison sites too.