Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Insurance prices - is it Tesla or my claim causing the high price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My old car was stolen from my driveway in Oct 2021. Claimed and got all the money back, but now I’m trying to get quotes for my Tesla Y and the cheapest I’m seeing are around £1800 or more. I had a BMW before and I was paying half - anybody got a similar experience to share or any tips on how to reduce the premium? Apart from the claim haven’t got anything else that could impact the quote.

Your Tesla is a group 50, out of 50, so about as high of a risk as the insurance companies reckon there is - plus, your claim certainly isn't going to help - regardless of 'protected NC' if you had it!. Apart from moving to a difference postcode (probably not the best idea just for cheaper car insurance), changing the car (defeats the object), changing where you park it - sometimes different algorithms mean that road v driveway can make a difference, or the only other option is to try adding another driver - partner though, not an 18 year old son / daughter might have a positive impact - even if they're not going to drive it.

Your Tesla is a group 50, out of 50, so about as high of a risk as the insurance companies reckon there is - plus, your claim certainly isn't going to help - regardless of 'protected NC' if you had it!. Apart from moving to a difference postcode (probably not the best idea just for cheaper car insurance), changing the car (defeats the object), changing where you park it - sometimes different algorithms mean that road v driveway can make a difference, or the only other option is to try adding another driver - partner though, not an 18 year old son / daughter might have a positive impact - even if they're not going to drive it.
Yeah none of that is applicable to me (wife is already on it) and I have to park it on driveway due to the charger. Claim would have influenced any car unfort but this is a bit more than I expected.

Have you tried Direct Line - I used all the comparison sites in June ‘22 and was getting £700+, (including my LV renewal with whom I had a multi at policy at £450 the previous year). DL had always been expensive for me previously but for some reason this year they were only £440, so percentage wise about 35% cheaper than everyone else was charging.

Insurance is really messed up. I went from a M3LR to an M3P and my insurance went down by £16, then I put a private plate on a few months later - expecting that DL would honour the fact they claim they don’t charge an admin fee and when I got to the confirmation page it said £6.45. When I looked closer it was actually a credit to my account. Quite how putting a PP on a car reduces the risk of anything I’ve no idea! Tbh as the plate shows my allegiance to a particular football team I suspect it’s at a far greater risk of vandalism 😂

There seems no logic to insurance prices of recent times. At renewal in Dec 21 cost was £388 for M3LR, and on changing to MYLR in March I got £38 refund, followed by a further £9 refund on adding my personal plate in September! At renewal in Dec 22 cheapest was again Churchill but cost now £650 (all in round figures). Only changes in that time were that I added breakdown and recovery at £43 (having read on here how bad Tesla Roadside is!) and of course, I'm a year older and have an additional years NCB (Now 14yrs although don't think it makes a difference over 9yrs). I'm 59 retired and cover is social domestic and pleasure only and car is garaged. When challenged about the outrageous increase in cost, Churchills response was basically that's the price, take it or leave it - but they were still cheapest!

There seems no logic to insurance prices of recent times. At renewal in Dec 21 cost was £388 for M3LR, and on changing to MYLR in March I got £38 refund, followed by a further £9 refund on adding my personal plate in September! At renewal in Dec 22 cheapest was again Churchill but cost now £650 (all in round figures). Only changes in that time were that I added breakdown and recovery at £43 (having read on here how bad Tesla Roadside is!) and of course, I'm a year older and have an additional years NCB (Now 14yrs although don't think it makes a difference over 9yrs). I'm 59 retired and cover is social domestic and pleasure only and car is garaged. When challenged about the outrageous increase in cost, Churchills response was basically that's the price, take it or leave it - but they were still cheapest!
Churchill nearly doubled my M3LR renewal in Dec too (£348 to £643) - so I went online & reworked my existing policy (basically just removed my wife's minimal business use of 1000 miles which she no longer needed), and my quote dropped to £240, even with Comp plus. Renewed on the spot!
That's 49, business use, £11k total miles (3k business), garaged, 9+ yrs NCB (protected), no fines/convictions, wife as named driver, edge of town in Notts.

Churchill nearly doubled my M3LR renewal in Dec too (£348 to £643) - so I went online & reworked my existing policy (basically just removed my wife's minimal business use of 1000 miles which she no longer needed), and my quote dropped to £240, even with Comp plus. Renewed on the spot!
That's 49, business use, £11k total miles (3k business), garaged, 9+ yrs NCB (protected), no fines/convictions, wife as named driver, edge of town in Notts.
Well done, that's certainly a better deal than I could get for my Comp Plus cover also with protected NCB and no points or convictions despite my best efforts. I have declared less than 8k miles too but have no one I can add as additional driver. I live in town but garaged off a gated driveway. Perhaps Notts. is just a much better area than Rugby but I do think some of the premiums quoted recently defy all logic?!

The good thing about comparison sites is you can very quickly answer this question yourself! Get a quote then edit the details and remove mention of your previous claim. Then add it back and change car. You can't get insurance with false details, but you can get quotes based on hypotheticals as often as you like so you can build up a picture of what causes you to appear expensive to the insurers.

Knowing what causes it can be handy if you're part way through an insurance policy but you know the 5 year rule on something has expired and it's the thing hiking your price up. Cancel and then grab the now cheaper 12 month policy if the difference beats the cancellation fee.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
My old car was stolen from my driveway in Oct 2021. Claimed and got all the money back, but now I’m trying to get quotes for my Tesla Y and the cheapest I’m seeing are around £1800 or more. I had a BMW before and I was paying half - anybody got a similar experience to share or any tips on how to reduce the premium? Apart from the claim haven’t got anything else that could impact the quote.
What was your old car and how was it stolen out of curiosity?