Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Inventory cars... Price difference...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished the test drive in the S100D.

All expectations confirmed.

Drive train is indeed excellent, smooth power delivery, insane acceleration with no delay, driving position good, seats comfortable.

Drivers view good despite the size of the A pillars, no problems with the size of the car and found the various sensors around the car giving good feedback on proximity to objects while manoeuvring.

All positive expectations met.

On the flip side all negative expectations were also met, no matter how hard I tried, it just doesn't feel like a £100K car when you sit in the cabin.

Switch gear is clunky and feels heavy in use while driving, particularly the indicators.

Finish and material choices exude a feeling of adequacy.

That's the problem with the interior right now, it isn't poor, it just doesn't belong in an expensive car.

So, I've got to see if the wow factor of the drive train outweighs the merely adequate standard of the interior and switchgear.

I quite like the Merc switchgear, but then I like a positive clunky feel!

What spec interior did your test car have? My X with premium interior and "carbon" trim looks and feels very nice - way above "adequate" for sure! It's quality soft touch everywhere too, even inside the door bins (which I realise the S doesn't have) and the alcantara headlining is really nice - reminds me of our Porsche. The sculpted alloy door handles are a very nice touch too. Maybe it's just the minimalist styling you don't gel with or use of manmade material. Or perhaps this was the standard interior, which feels a good step down to me.

I must admit I haven't spent any time inside the S to compare. But the X is a "wow" car to sit in and drive with the panoramic windscreen and spacious airy cabin. I guess the S is more conventional in that sense.

It was a premium interior on the one I drove and ultimately it wasn't bad enough to stop me buying the car, it just didn't help in a positive way.

When comparing, I try to separate out the question of style vs quality.

The minimalist styling in the 'S' isn't as minimal as it once was with the old yacht floor and no console, so that isn't as stark now in the 'S' as it is in the new '3'. So on that side of things I didn't find the 'S' to be an issue.

It really is down to look & feel on the materials and on that side Jaguar has the edge with their perforated Windsor leather and better built interior.

In the end though it is Tesla that got the order so that gives the final answer I guess :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It really is down to look & feel on the materials and on that side Jaguar has the edge with their perforated Windsor leather and better built interior.

I guess that's down to personal taste. I don't particularly like the JLR Windsor leather and when I was looking at them last year there were quite a few complaints on the owner forums about how quickly it wears. The faux leather Tesla now use seems more practical. It's early days yet for me but I'm seeing zero seat wear, creasing or sagging after 5K miles. If they stay that way longer term I will be very happy with the interior.

The Tesla wall charger is the nicest one to have, you have a button on the charger handle to open and close the charger port. You can also ask your power provider to upgrade your main incoming fuse to a higher rating free...also investing in a decent pressure washer with specific foam lance attachment is also great to look after the car's paint. You might want to look into ceramic coating the car there is a company called PPProtect that has a good reputation, costs about £300-400. Also cool frunk and boot bags custom fit for the car, will get 10% off with my code: http://oscarandhamish.refr.cc/sidthaker

Reactions: Mark_T
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have already upgraded my house fuse in anticipation, they took it to 100A.

Was supposed to be 80A but on the day they forgot to bring an 80A fuse so I got 100 instead.

I'm talking to a local detailing company about paint protection, I'll report back on my experience.

Reactions: sidmini
One of the best ceramic coatings is produced by Gtechniq crystal serum ultra, the other option is PPF paint protection film but this is way more expensive and probably only beneficial to do the front of the car to protect from stone chips.

probably only beneficial to do the front of the car to protect from stone chips

I had the whole car wrapped (at Topaz, near Tesla Heathrow)

Yes expensive. I did it assuming I would be keeping the car a while, and having spent 3x as much on a Tesla than normal I thought more likely that I would be annoyed by stone chips etc. than on my previous A-to-B cars. I've had nice cars before ... in my Youth, eh? :) ... but latterly A-to-B cars with no care about cleaning them etc.

Also my understanding was that Aluminium/paint is softer than steel cars.

Felt poor when I got there, as all the other waiting-cars were Pagani Zonda and upwards :eek:

That was 2 years ago. My observations are:

The car looks smart washed (at supermarket) without polish etc.

I don't rush to remove Bird poo (anywhere on the car) as although it will mark Wrap, eventually, its not the same issue as marking paint. And, heck, if needs be the wrap is easily replaced.

Snuggling up against a rural roadside hedge, or some moron in a car park with a sharp key-point, does no scratch-damage (or, if there are scratches, a hair drier repairs them)

But for a more impressive, albeit unexpected!, test I was side-swiped by a Range-Rover/similar, pulling away from the lights on a roundabout. So not great speed. When I got the car home it looked like it had been scraped down a wall - that sort of "white veneer" look. Washed it and you couldn't tell from a distance that it had been hit. Couple of small dents which did necessitated body-shop to fix (they said "New doors because Aluminium won't pull" but did such a lousy job I wish I had ignored them, and the humongous bill they gave the other party's insurance company - 8-grand if memory serves me)

If it had been my dime, and I wasn't too fussy, I could have lived with the dents. There was no damage to the paintwork at all (but I would have had to replace the wrap around a wheel arch that had torn in the process).

Definitely impressive.

Topaz is meant to be one of the best, must have been a large sum on the invoice!

Oh and I forgot the most important one, Dashcams! worth having one professionally installed by simon holbon who is tesla trained and approved and knows tesla electrics: https://holbon.com . Think the Goluk and thinkware f900 are good dual cameras.

Oh and I forgot the most important one, Dashcams! worth having one professionally installed by simon holbon who is tesla trained and approved and knows tesla electrics: https://holbon.com . Think the Goluk and thinkware f900 are good dual cameras.

What does the team think about the supposedly immanent release of a software update to use the existing cameras on the car for 'Dashcam' purposes?

Insurance sorted.

Used the Direct Line 'Tesla Team'.

Handy tip for others, don't just use the online route as it doesn't give you the option to get the AutoPilot discount, you need to phone them up to get that.

What does the team think about the supposedly immanent release of a software update to use the existing cameras on the car for 'Dashcam' purposes?

It was an Elon tweet and IMO won’t happen any time soon, if ever. Lots of complications about image quality and storage etc etc. The shout above for Simon is an excellent one. He comes to you, has done more Tesla’s than you’ve had hot dinners, and the install is perfect. He can also improve on the poor lighting in the boot (unless that’s been improved since I got mine in March 17) and one or two other fancy bits if you’re so inclined.

use the existing cameras on the car for 'Dashcam'

I haven't seen the announcement,but I thought the cameras were doing local processing (and only passing "object info" to central controller) so there wasn't a video-stream, as such.

There have been a few time-lapse-type-stills retrieved after accidents, but nothing that resembles dashcam footage that I'm aware of.

But wouldn't be the first time that Tesla engineers have found a wrinkle worth exploiting ...

One of my OTA freebies was to initiate AEB when the the car two-in-front brakes heavily, because the engineers found a radar-reply that they could make use of. Clever stuff, Hats-off to Elon and crew :)

poor lighting in the boot

I got some replacement bulbs online for a few quid (Bjorn has a video) and also some puddle lights, which project a Tesla logo, for the door-bottoms.

Thought i was a bit old for blue strip-lights under the car though ... :)