Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] Public charging - the media may have a point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the biggest issue is the lack of destination chargers.

Rapids get all the attention but if there were a lot more cheaper by an order of magnitude to install AC chargers where people actually need them, rapid charger use would drop dramatically.
100% agree with you. If the lamp post chargers were in every town the problem would be cut in half.

Oh boy I hate those articles that for absolutely no reason assume that meeting the defined target requires a linear amount of chargers to be installed each period since the target was set, so therefore claim we are 'behind'. They then show a graph that is clearly non-linear growth of charger installs so far. Makes my skin crawl at the deliberate mis-conclusion of simple graphs.
The daily telegraph is fun..
Any " eco energy" article turns into a b.itch fight..with tesla drivers being the devil incarnate.

As far as I know from reliable sources they are working on something similar to your idea, don’t know the details. I think one of the issue they are dealing with is how to get the non-Tesla in the same queuing system without using geofencing tech. Not sure what the issue is as I am not in that field. Hopefully we will see this later this year! But that is anyone’s guess with Elon.

Easy. Teslas get a spot in the charger queue based on arrival time. Non Tesla's are automatically dropped to the back of the queue if any Tesla is waiting for a charge. Even if the Tesla arrives after them. Seems fair to me :)

• Funny
Reactions: spdpsba
The sad fact is at the moment you have to plan VERY carefully and have a contingency plan to do long journeys in most EV's. especially if you are trying to do 270 miles in an i3 like s recent story in the press of someone who took 12 hours allegedly to do the journey.
But it started me thinking, unfortunate as this reality is, when are the majority going to catch on and stop getting caught out like this so these stories disappear?
Then I discovered that 800,000 people a year in the UK manage to run out of petrol and I realised, never.

Although some chargers are a bit of a pain from the viewpoint of an EV owner and we do have to plan routes because rarely do you fall upon a charger like you do a filling station with an ICE, its good if the public refrain from swapping to an EV and carry on believing all the scare stories out there about spontaneous combustion, battery's dead in 4 years, piss poor range, no chargers etc and refrain from going the EV route with their next car, because it will keep the cost down for those with one now.
Its only because so many have already moved to EV that road Tax will apply from 2025, The financial assistance towards a home charger being abolished, the free supercharger miles etc. If ICE owners move to EV in significant numbers then the loss of the fuel duty plus the VAT on fuel duty will force the government to introduce higher and new taxes to recover their losses - and you just know that overnight domestic specific EV charger rates will probably disappear as will the 5% vat on domestic electricity - The government are never going to just ignore those losses.

Therefore we should agree with the naysayers and doubters, tell them EVs are a bit crap.

Although some chargers are a bit of a pain from the viewpoint of an EV owner and we do have to plan routes because rarely do you fall upon a charger like you do a filling station with an ICE, its good if the public refrain from swapping to an EV and carry on believing all the scare stories out there about spontaneous combustion, battery's dead in 4 years, piss poor range, no chargers etc and refrain from going the EV route with their next car, because it will keep the cost down for those with one now.
Its only because so many have already moved to EV that road Tax will apply from 2025, The financial assistance towards a home charger being abolished, the free supercharger miles etc. If ICE owners move to EV in significant numbers then the loss of the fuel duty plus the VAT on fuel duty will force the government to introduce higher and new taxes to recover their losses - and you just know that overnight domestic specific EV charger rates will probably disappear as will the 5% vat on domestic electricity - The government are never going to just ignore those losses.

Therefore we should agree with the naysayers and doubters, tell them EVs are a bit crap.
I have adopted this philosophy 🤣

I love my EV and my wife’s Mini EV too. But all these other people buying them is only going the way you suggest.

Whenever someone sends me some rubbish news story about Tesla death traps etc I just nod politely and agree with them, safe in the knowledge I’m happy with my lot in life.