Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger pricing change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is putting up their electricity prices, Bulb is putting up even their E7 rate to 13p/kWh, a few years ago it was only 7p/kWh. EDF still has a good E7 rate but their day time rate is 23p/kWh so not far off what Tesla wants for 150kW+ charging.

The days of EVs been cheaper to refuel than a combustion car is fast coming to an end. Remember government is yet to tax electricity for car refuelling like they do for petrol/diesel.

I suspect by 2030 EVs cost just as much to refuel as combustion cars. Oh well it was good whilst it lasted!!

The loss of fuel duty will switch to road pricing I think.

Yep. Time of use road pricing helps solve many issues, congestion being just one. I know for sure (from someone who worked on projects that influenced government policy) various technical solutions were seriously being looked at 5+ years ago and got the impression it was just a matter of time and political nerve when it would be introduced.

tbh, the technical solutions for achieving this has got much simpler and I suspect the technologies mentioned here are now out dated. But here is a previous gov't document from many years back showing the intent. I am sure there will be more up to date information. Its clearly an ongoing direction spanning several different governments.

edit - and a more recent analysis TRL | TRL's response to consultation on zero emission vehicles and road pricing

Last edited:
I guess with wholesale costs up the ‘pump’ price is likely to shift too. All depends on how long Tesla’s forward buys are locked in for.

Supercharger productivity must have improved hugely in the UK (ignoring lockdowns) do you’d think they could absorb an increase if they wanted to. I suspect they choose not to because they haven’t made any money in the UK on SC’s yet (CapEx still needs paying back) and there’s just not enough competition right now to keep prices down.