Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has oil and an oil pump. I found out because I had an oil leak (seriously)! Fortunately oil/filter changes are not a normal service requirement.
Interesting. Must be for the transmission. Probably be an internal screen filter, rather than a little spin-on type. I actually thought the box (or boxes) were "sealed for life" with lovely blue-coloured synthetic goop to lube them.

Let me see... I won't be able to change the oil and oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, change the exhaust or/and catalytic converter, change/topup the antifreeze.... that leaves me with servicing the breaks, top up washer fluid, and change the pollen filter if I can be bothered 🤣

In terms of future home repairs there's also plenty of scope with respect to suspension, springs, shock absorbers, bearings in addition to brakes, wheels and tyres ... and repairing the bodywork and various internal parts e.g. LED bulbs, window mechanisms, hinges, seats. Though some of us got into actual engine work in yesteryear it would probably be the minority of owners and I suspect that much of what we will end up doing to keep our cars on the road would not be too dissimilar.
I think you are drifting a bit there though. We were on about maintenance at home not major repairs or repairs in general or even bodywork to that extent unless we are talking washing, waxing and polishing.

Labour rate per hour. It’s gone up from £145 + VAT in 2021.
Not that Im doubting you but is there any chance you can at some point post a picture of this bill? Im just curious about this labour charge. Having said that, an indy quoted 230 odd quid for front discs and pads including labour and vat for my sons car back in 2019. A set of brembo discs and pads was only about £60 from eurocarparts and it didn't even take an hour to get them done on my drive.

Talking about plummeting…. My WBAC is now TWENTY GRAND less than it was in mid August. That’s mid August 22, folks.

This isnt the correction the rest of the used car market has. This is free fall.

Minute it drops below the value I’d otherwise have had to give the taxman I’m taking my money out🤣🤣🤣

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
Not that Im doubting you but is there any chance you can at some point post a picture of this bill? Im just curious about this labour charge. Having said that, an indy quoted 230 odd quid for front discs and pads including labour and vat for my sons car back in 2019. A set of brembo discs and pads was only about £60 from eurocarparts and it didn't even take an hour to get them done on my drive.
Sure. Extract from last bill at Dartford, last week:

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.12.07.png

Front page of November invoice from Chelmsford (with personal info redacted). Hourly rate noted in the bottom left side. This is before VAT:

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.13.53.png

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
Porsche main dealer is now cheaper than Tesla on hourly rates. Tesla is 10% more expensive.

Talking about plummeting…. My WBAC is now TWENTY GRAND less than it was in mid August. That’s mid August 22, folks.

This isnt the correction the rest of the used car market has. This is free fall.

Minute it drops below the value I’d otherwise have had to give the taxman I’m taking my money out🤣🤣🤣
£45K before Crimbo. £33K after Crimbo. WBAC. Wankers.

Reactions: candida
Porsche main dealer is now cheaper than Tesla on hourly rates. Tesla is 10% more expensive.
Not that im defending these prices and even Porsche @ 10% less sounds expensive to me but all that said, I wonder how much Porsche would charge for this including parts. As I said, an indy wanted about £170 for an hours labour in 2019 and VW wanted if you I recall £114 for supply and fit of the solenoid that locks the fuel flap. This is a £30 part from TPS (original VW) and 10 minutes to fit (this was in 2018). Personally I think any of these labour prices are expensive but then im tight but dont mind paying them the money for a proper hard hours work 😬 ...swings and roundabouts.

I gather this was warranty work?

Not that im defending these prices and even Porsche @ 10% less sounds expensive to me but all that said, I wonder how much Porsche would charge for this including parts. As I said, an indy wanted about £170 for an hours labour in 2019 and VW wanted if you I recall £114 for supply and fit of the solenoid that locks the fuel flap. This is a £30 part from TPS (original VW) and 10 minutes to fit (this was in 2018). Personally I think any of these labour prices are expensive but then im tight but dont mind paying them the money for a proper hard hours work 😬 ...swings and roundabouts.

I gather this was warranty work?
Nope. Warranty expired a few years ago. Just on battery and powertrain warranty now.

Rates are what they are. Porsche charge like wounded bulls. Under no illusion there.

Tesla prices aren’t necessarily cheap, a few hours work can lead to eye watering bills. Hence my earlier query about Indy EV repair places. But I don’t think I’ll get many replies. I’d say 9/10 of folks here now are 3 and Y owners still under warranty and/or continue to use Tesla for service work. Like me I guess in that respect.

A few years ago no one would dare touch a Tesla. Even for basic mechanical repairs. They were literally scared shitless of them. Fear and loathing and mistrust. Feels like it’s changing now as more EVs of all makes are working their way through the wider fleet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exy1
Interesting. Must be for the transmission. Probably be an internal screen filter, rather than a little spin-on type. I actually thought the box (or boxes) were "sealed for life" with lovely blue-coloured synthetic goop to lube them.
No, the oil filter in a model 3 is exactly like you would find on most ICE … spin on. Look on YouTube if you’re interested to see the oil pump and filter.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.
Status
Not open for further replies.