Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra Red, thinking about skipping PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's lots of people who are PPF whores and say it's 100% needed on every car they purchase.
Looking to see if there's other with Ultra Red whom decided against ppf. How has the front help up in terms of chips?

• Funny
Reactions: CaptUAL
I'm one who doesn't feel the investment is worth it. I posted recently in another recent thread why. Summary: I can fix an AWFUL lot of issues for what PPF costs these days and PPF doesn't guarantee you won't have issues to fix anyway.

If you wanna do stealth or a color to make it look different I can understand. Personally I've determined it's too expensive for me but I won't fault others if they feel it's worth it to them to get the look they want.

To do gloss PPF purely for protection purposes because of what it "saves" I can't get onboard with. The math just doesn't support it being worthwhile.

I'm one who doesn't feel the investment is worth it. I posted recently in another recent thread why. Summary: I can fix an AWFUL lot of issues for what PPF costs these days and PPF doesn't guarantee you won't have issues to fix anyway.

If you wanna do stealth or a color to make it look different I can understand. Personally I've determined it's too expensive for me but I won't fault others if they feel it's worth it to them to get the look they want.

To do gloss PPF purely for protection purposes because of what it "saves" I can't get onboard with. The math just doesn't support it being worthwhile.
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning heavily on not going with ppf on the car. Although it's a Plaid, it's a mass produced car unlike Porsche gt3 / Ferrari/ Lambo/ etc. And with Elon keep dropping prices, I wouldn't be surprised that my car purchased in q3 2023 will be priced lower in 2 months.

I think it makes sense for the front facing plastic bits, ie, bumper cover and lights.

Don't forget the times PPF saves with cleaning. You can be pretty aggressive in bug splatter removal.

Only 8k miles so far on my MCR car, and I have almost no damage on hood, fenders, or mirror caps without PPF, but multiple saves on the bumper cover and lights with PPF.

If I'm looking to buy a used Tesla, I wont care or pass on a car that doesnt have ppf. If I'm trying to sell one that was that battered that badly from not having ppf I'm confident the thousands saved would buy some new paint and a nice detail. I was quoted $8,400 for whole car with a $125 a year mandatory inspection to maintain warranty. F..K that!

Waiting on jack pucks to remove rear wheels. No way I'm fighting with the tightness to get those screws into the rears. Fronts were easy.
FYI, you do NOT need jack pads provided the contact point of your jack to the bumper is flat. Tesla mobile service showed me as he did it. He also said the side rail is actually strong enough to support the entire side of the car (Model 3 in my case) if you center the jack in between the wheels. I personally do not adhere to that advice and I jack the car up near the holes where a rubber puck would be inserted. Your S is heavier than a 3 so….

FYI, you do NOT need jack pads provided the contact point of your jack to the bumper is flat. Tesla mobile service showed me as he did it. He also said the side rail is actually strong enough to support the entire side of the car (Model 3 in my case) if you center the jack in between the wheels. I personally do not adhere to that advice and I jack the car up near the holes where a rubber puck would be inserted. Your S is heavier than a 3 so….
2x4, or similar piece of wood will also work. I do not recommend jacking except at the jack points. See the owners manual.

I always jack at two points simultaneously to avoid twisting the car

How'd we go from Ultra Red PPF'n to jack points? I love this place. All joking aside, we had full PPF on our 2018 MX. We were quoted $6k for our 2023. I would agree that is a lot of money for little return. This being the wife's car, she feels that there is value in doing it. Who am I to argued with a wife? Has anyone ever one one of those?
I will say that PPF makes for cleaning the car a lot easier. I could usually get away with a pressure wash/suds and rinse where as the Non PPF is requiring a full sponge wash then rinse. Who knows. Maybe even the dirt is made different these days.

Reactions: DBV1
Here is the Model S mudflaps but currently only fits for 2014-2020 years.

I think it makes sense for the front facing plastic bits, ie, bumper cover and lights.

Don't forget the times PPF saves with cleaning. You can be pretty aggressive in bug splatter removal.

Only 8k miles so far on my MCR car, and I have almost no damage on hood, fenders, or mirror caps without PPF, but multiple saves on the bumper cover and lights with PPF.

The bumper is available as a factory painted replacement from the Tesla service center. I was willing to sacrifice that as it’s pretty difficult (expensive) to PPF.

The bumper is available as a factory painted replacement from the Tesla service center. I was willing to sacrifice that as it’s pretty difficult (expensive) to PPF.

But what about the headlights and fog lights?

Wife's MB took a nasty hit that would have cracked the 2600 USD headlight had it not been for the Xpell 10 PPF... Only cost 600 USD to do the whole front end in PPF.

But what about the headlights and fog lights?

Wife's MB took a nasty hit that would have cracked the 2600 USD headlight had it not been for the Xpell 10 PPF... Only cost 600 USD to do the whole front end in PPF.
I personally don’t see how PPF is going to keep a light from cracking if it’s hit by a rock. Protect from Sandblasting perhaps.

I have no doubt it makes sense for some, depending on their goals.

Reactions: CleanDemon
Isn’t that what insurance is for?
It should be...but as it turned out, did crack a headlight on same car during a minor accident. Insurance work screwed up the the paint on a third of the car trying to blend 3 inch dent on the fender.

I don't trust anyone to work on my cars, even something as simple as a headlight replacement.

BTW, they screwed up the new headlight too. Had to take it apart to fix the errors and missing fasteners and never did get the alignment right.