Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Um... did this just really happen?! SR+ rear heated seats Musk tweet!

Would you buy a software unlock of rear heated seat?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
677BC5E2-4B04-4798-8DA9-77A5BC576D42.png

Did the man himself really just reply to me?!?! That alone is freaking amazing and made my night... other than that, MAYBE a paid upgrade option for activating rear heated seats coming to SR+?!?!

Would you pay for this option? How much?

DAMN! I just realized I probably burned my only reply from him the universe will give me and forgot to ask about a CCS adapters for North America!!! >.<

So most reports show that the wiring harness is different between partial premium and premium interiors. In all the cases I’ve seen with SR+ cars, while the speakers are physically there, they’ve never been connected. OTA update would be impossible and service center visits would bog down the service model right now. I suspect the cost wasn’t a factor on leaving the speakers there, but for the wiring harness it was. Musk once said that robots still aren’t good with softer assembly like connecting and running wires around the vehicle and that it was very human labor intensive compared to other tasks. Probably was a cost savings then to have two different harnesses to be used due to lack of automation on that part...

DAMN! I just realized I probably burned my only reply from him the universe will give me and forgot to ask about a CCS adapters for North America!!! >.<

So most reports show that the wiring harness is different between partial premium and premium interiors. In all the cases I’ve seen with SR+ cars, while the speakers are physically there, they’ve never been connected. OTA update would be impossible and service center visits would bog down the service model right now. I suspect the cost wasn’t a factor on leaving the speakers there, but for the wiring harness it was. Musk once said that robots still aren’t good with softer assembly like connecting and running wires around the vehicle and that it was very human labor intensive compared to other tasks. Probably was a cost savings then to have two different harnesses to be used due to lack of automation on that part...
I would thought it would have been cheaper to use the same harness in all cars and OTA the upgrade. But no idea on delta costs.

View attachment 487350

Did the man himself really just reply to me?!?! That alone is freaking amazing and made my night... other than that, MAYBE a paid upgrade option for activating rear heated seats coming to SR+?!?!

Would you pay for this option? How much?
props on getting a reply. i've been tweeting this at him since mine were turned off and have yet to get a respond. still - his response is very dismissive.

any chance? sure there's a chance

are we getting it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't have many back-seat passengers, but I think it would be worth $200-$300 for an update on the rare occasion we do.

That, and it would add to the resale value of the car.

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:34 AM
To: willow_hiller <willow_hiller@MAIL.COM>
Subject: FS: 2019 Model 3 SR+

Thanks anyway.

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:10 AM
To: picky_car_shopper <p[email protected]>

No, sorry.

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:21 AM
To: willow_hiller <willow_hiller@MAIL.COM>

Hi, does this have the rear heated seats?

In all honestly, I think aftermarket car software retains its value better than physical aftermarket parts.

If you add a spoiler to the car, that spoiler will take some wear and tear and be valued by the car shopper at a price lower than what was paid to install it in the first place.

But if you add a piece of software (software unlocked physical features, FSD), the software itself doesn't degrade. And if the second owner wants the features unlocked by that software, they're either going to need to find a used vehicle that has it already, or pay Tesla the exact same amount of money that the first owner would have paid to unlock it.

Used Teslas with FSD are valued higher by roughly the entire price of FSD. And I bet used SR+ with software unlocked premium interiors will be valued higher by roughly the entire price of unlocking the premium interior.

In all honestly, I think aftermarket car software retains its value better than physical aftermarket parts.

If you add a spoiler to the car, that spoiler will take some wear and tear and be valued by the car shopper at a price lower than what was paid to install it in the first place.

But if you add a piece of software (software unlocked physical features, FSD), the software itself doesn't degrade. And if the second owner wants the features unlocked by that software, they're either going to need to find a used vehicle that has it already, or pay Tesla the exact same amount of money that the first owner would have paid to unlock it.

Used Teslas with FSD are valued higher by roughly the entire price of FSD. And I bet used SR+ with software unlocked premium interiors will be valued higher by roughly the entire price of unlocking the premium interior.
maybe - but you're comparing educated shoppers with car enthusiasts. an SR+ with unlocked premium interior and/or FSD is going to "price itself" out of the market (show higher than the average) and that will have an initial turnoff for buyers.

realistically i think it will help to move the car faster but it's not guaranteed to command a higher price. if people are used car shopping, they're looking for bargains.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Like others, I'd probably $200-$300 for it. If it were more than $300, I don't think so. My daughter's been doing pretty well with a fleece blanket back there so far and hasn't complained once (not even after swim practice). When we get out, we put the blanket on the front seat so that it gets warmed up when I preheat the car and seat before getting into it so then she has a nice warm blanket in the back.

Counterpoint: SR+ owners got a discount by agreeing not to use it. Same situation back in the day with software locked batteries, al-la MS/X60 versus MS/X75. If you agreed to let them lock your battery to 60kWh you got a discount from the 75 price.
True! I was being more facetious than people can probably pick up on... but interesting to see how this new A-La Carte mentality could play out along with the other software locked features such as ambient lighting, speakers (unless they are un-wired) etc.. In my option, the premium interior options should not have been locked in with the upgrade from RWD to AWD ($10,000) and should have been an independent option. Of course it was their strategy to pressure people to buy up, but didn't seem like a fair or worthwhile trade.

I have only turned on the rear seat heaters twice in the past year since I live in Southern California and rarely have anyone in the rear seat. For colder weather climates I would think people would pay something to turn these on. How much I have no idea but seeing how fussy everyone has been over the $10 subscription fee I’m thinking it’s going to be a tough sell for anything more than a couple hundred dollars.

I have only turned on the rear seat heaters twice in the past year since I live in Southern California and rarely have anyone in the rear seat. For colder weather climates I would think people would pay something to turn these on. How much I have no idea but seeing how fussy everyone has been over the $10 subscription fee I’m thinking it’s going to be a tough sell for anything more than a couple hundred dollars.

Agreed, though roughly 70% of people said they would sign up for the $10 subscription for premium connectivity right away. I was hoping the poll numbers here would be larger to get an idea what people would be willing to spend, but I doubt we have a large enough sample to really come to any sort of conclusion. I have zero knowledge of what Tesla might offer, just based on some other manufacture options heated seats or cold weather packages seem to be ~$350 or so for rear seats if front are included or maybe ~$750 if it's a "cold weather package" with front and rear and steering wheel. I would hope Tesla would release this for under $500, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was between $500 and $1000. I kinda feel like there is a slight chance they might be activated for free at some point, but I would suspect they would need some other similar priced EV's with roughly the same range to show up that DID include that feature at roughly the same MSRP for Tesla to then trigger the "all heated seats standard on all Model 3 cars" kind of deal. Power play on their end to keep the Model 3 in line with competitors while also making existing customers really happy, and probably long enough that premium customers wouldn't be toooooo mad. (Honestly those guys really are buying the range, performance, and AWD for that upgraded price)

Reactions: willow_hiller