Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Um... did this just really happen?! SR+ rear heated seats Musk tweet!

Would you buy a software unlock of rear heated seat?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Counterpoint: SR+ owners got a discount by agreeing not to use it. Same situation back in the day with software locked batteries, al-la MS/X60 versus MS/X75. If you agreed to let them lock your battery to 60kWh you got a discount from the 75 price.

Agree. How do they determine the amount of discount that’s applicable to each feature not being used?

I could have sworn this said autopilot upgrades yesterday. Is my memory fooling me or could this be a sign that new OTA upgrades like rear seater heaters are coming to this page?

Attachments

• 61BE0747-1BA2-4E6C-8C8C-F1F7D306926D.jpeg
    61BE0747-1BA2-4E6C-8C8C-F1F7D306926D.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 96
In all honestly, I think aftermarket car software retains its value better than physical aftermarket parts.

If you add a spoiler to the car, that spoiler will take some wear and tear and be valued by the car shopper at a price lower than what was paid to install it in the first place.

But if you add a piece of software (software unlocked physical features, FSD), the software itself doesn't degrade. And if the second owner wants the features unlocked by that software, they're either going to need to find a used vehicle that has it already, or pay Tesla the exact same amount of money that the first owner would have paid to unlock it.

Used Teslas with FSD are valued higher by roughly the entire price of FSD. And I bet used SR+ with software unlocked premium interiors will be valued higher by roughly the entire price of unlocking the premium interior.
I wouldn't think so. For example, a software feature like AP becomes worth less as the car gets older because you get less time to enjoy it. A new Tesla would give me X # of years of FSD, the 2 YO one x-2 years. Also, some future car is going to have better HW for FSD and the older cars FSD will suddenly be worth less.

The only upgrade I'm considering is the premium audio, but obviously we all know the difference is physical so that means either service center hours (not gonna happen) or pay a 3rd party to do. I will not buy rear seat heater upgrade or fog light (unless very cheap like $100).

Reactions: tren01t
Thanks for the promising news! Fingers crossed!! I really hope this happens.
Curios, how do you turn on the rear seat heat on in an LR? I just have the icons on the bottom ribbon. I can't find seat heat in any menus.

Taking a step back, has anyone actually confirmed the heating elements are still in the SR/SR+ rear seats?

They physically removed many of the other premium features such as ambient lighting, speakers, amps, subs, fog lights/white light accent bar. Do we know for sure that the heaters are still in the SRs and they are wired up?

I have only turned on the rear seat heaters twice in the past year since I live in Southern California and rarely have anyone in the rear seat. For colder weather climates I would think people would pay something to turn these on. How much I have no idea but seeing how fussy everyone has been over the $10 subscription fee I’m thinking it’s going to be a tough sell for anything more than a couple hundred dollars.

Similar situation, not with my Tesla, but the wife's car has both cooled and heated front and rear seats. I've never turned the rear seats cool or heat on and her car is 5 years old.

Last edited:
Taking a step back, has anyone actually confirmed the heating elements are still in the SR/SR+ rear seats?

Some SR/+ vehicles sold around April-May 2019 had heated rear seats accidentally enabled in the firmware, they've since been removed.

I've got a March 2019 edition, and although my seats have never been able to heat, I've confirmed they have two connectors attached to the back seat (one for pressure sensor, one presumably for heat).

• Informative
Reactions: St☰v☰

they won't be in car seats forever.
Similar situation, not with my Tesla, but the wife's car has both cooled and heated front and rear seats. Never turn the rear seats cool or heat on and her car is 5 years old.

It certainly depends on where you live, what you do, and if you have kids or carpool with a group of friends.

Personally, I get heated seats front and rear when ever possible and use them frequently.
- When I lived in So Cal, we would always carpool with friends and snowboard or surf. Everyone loved the heated rear seats after either activity and used them frequently.
- Now I live in PA and have kids (13 & 11 = no carseats). It is cold here ~1/2 year and we also snowboard. They absolutely love the heated rear seats in our other car and use them daily (~1/2 year).

But obviously not everyone cares. That's why it is so nice if they can just make it an option.

Some SR/+ vehicles sold around April-May 2019 had heated rear seats accidentally enabled in the firmware, they've since been removed.

I've got a March 2019 edition, and although my seats have never been able to heat, I've confirmed they have two connectors attached to the back seat (one for pressure sensor, one presumably for heat).

I know the early SRs have much of the LR hardware but is software limited. But the later SRs much has been physically removed. I will try to check my seats to see if there are 2 connectors.

I suppose we could also check the parts catalog to see if the LR and SR use the same rear seat part number.