Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently charging daily via UMC while I wait for my wall charger installation. All has been fine until yesterday when charging was stopped and I got a bunch of charging errors including high temperature. Plug on the charger and socket were HOT.

Anyone had similar issues? Don't seem to be able to get through to Tesla service (out of hours I guess?)

Just had 2020.20.17 installed, not sure if it's just a coincidence...

Tried two different sockets so doesn't seem to be an issue with one particular socket. I also took the face off the original socket, checked wiring and replaced with a new one and there were no issues.

Noticed when I plug it in there's a small red flash in one corner of the 'T'. Don't know if it's always done that (it never gets unplugged normally).

Struggling to see how it's a wiring issue when it's been working fine daily for 3+ months and we have no other issues. House is also <10 years old so I'd hope the wiring is pretty sound.

Will try plugging the UMC in at my dad's when I'm there tomorrow and see if the red light blinks there.

Is limiting the amps below 10 likely to help? My wall charger is getting installed in 6 days and won't need the car much before then but would be nice to be able to charge it, even if it is at a much slower rate...

I was really surprised by how hot the plug was after a few hours at 10A. This was on a known good socket. I can certainly see why they limited the UMC to 10A.

Limiting the charge rate will help massively.
I had mine charging yesterday for 8hrs and 3pin plug was only slightly warm. If running hot that does not sound right.

Also you can charge at 32amps with commando adapter bought from Tesla or 16amps with small commando thats in bag.

Watch out for the Tesla UMC rocking itself slightly loose from the socket. The dongle cable is so inflexible that slight movement in the body of the UMC can slowly or not, rock the 3 pin plug out of the socket slightly. Even worse of dongle connector and 3 pin plug not perfectly aligned so that there is a permanent twist in the UMC through to 3 pin socket.

This is odd. 10a is nothing for the plug/socket. Is there any damage on the plug pins? What voltage does the car/app show when charging? Do you have a 16a commando plug adapter?
Is the umc end of the uk 3 pin plug adaptor getting hot? Pull it out and back in to make sure its conected ok.

It's only the plug on the UMC and then the socket that got hot. Voltage hovering around 238v +/-2

Dropped the current to 8a max and it seems fine so far.

That'll do for now until my wall charger gets installed this week.

I'll see if Tesla have any thoughts tomorrow.

I was really surprised by how hot the plug was after a few hours at 10A. This was on a known good socket. I can certainly see why they limited the UMC to 10A.

Though it can be a dodgy socket issue the weak point on a 13amp plug/socket combination is more usually the plug because it has to have a fuse. As the amps ramp up the fuse gets nearer to its limit and starts getting warm ... and then hot ... and if over its limit eventually blows. The fuse holding connections inside the plug can also be poor. It's an unfortunate element of the UK 13amp design that plugs get hot when near their limits. (All plugs not just on a UMC.)

It's only the plug on the UMC and then the socket that got hot. Voltage hovering around 238v +/-2

Dropped the current to 8a max and it seems fine so far.

That'll do for now until my wall charger gets installed this week.

I'll see if Tesla have any thoughts tomorrow.
Have you cleaned up the pins on the plug from previous overheating? Very light sanding with 1200 grit paper. 10A should not get warm let alone hot. Was the voltage measured at 0A, 8A or 10A. I would be interested in 0 & 10A.