Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unable to charge"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost got stranded last night on the way back from a weekend vacation. I charged up at one Supercharger with no problem, but, when I plugged into the next one I got the "Unable to charge - check cable and try again message." The volts went from 0 to 300+ then back to 0 but the amps never moved from 0. So, I moved to another stall, plugged in and got the message again. I tried the scroll-button reboot and moved to yet another stall but still no dice.

I decided to keep traveling to the next Supercharger (about 40 miles away - I had about 120 miles left at this point but needed about 160 to get home). When I arrived there, I plugged in but still got the "Unable to charge" message. After doing a little more Googling I found there are two different reboot procedures.

The first reboot is what I tried the first time I had the issue - hold down the scroll wheels until the large display resets. The second involves holding down the top buttons above the steering wheel which reboots the driver's console. So, I did the top-button reboot followed by the scroll-button reboot and after doing both of these, I was finally able to charge.

Anyone else experience this problem? Is this a somewhat regular occurrence? I found several posts about this but many had to take the car in for service to remedy the problem.

Someone else had posted something similar a while back, though I can't remember if it was an S or an X that had the problem. Software bug. Report it to your service center so they can log it, plus they can pull your car logs and hopefully have a record of the issue to submit as a problem, unless they already know what causes it. But then, were that the case I'd have expected a software fix be rolled out fairly quickly.

Reactions: EVie'sDad