Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pickup involved getting the fob from the trunk which the app was supposed to be able to open. It didn't open and unlock didn't work, and lock and valet mode could be enabled. I stayed at the service center until the issue was resolved. It involved the tech doing something that required waiting for 15 minutes and then rebooting the car.

After calling Tech Support to ask to have the MCU Command Key reset, I expected they would do it remotely similar to others here.

I’m not sure if they actually tried a remote reset. The sent a Ranger out to reset it with his laptop, and it took him about 5 minutes.

The reset didn’t work instantly. By the time I had a chance to test it again an hour had passed and it worked just like new.

After calling Tech Support to ask to have the MCU Command Key reset, I expected they would do it remotely similar to others here.

I’m not sure if they actually tried a remote reset. The sent a Ranger out to reset it with his laptop, and it took him about 5 minutes.

The reset didn’t work instantly. By the time I had a chance to test it again an hour had passed and it worked just like new.
When I had it done, I was told to wait at least 15 minutes and then reboot.

appreciate the info, same issue since mcu was replaced 3 months ago and they could not fix remotely or by ranger saying it needed to go back to the SC, well it is there now for the HV battery having failed so let them know the fix per the info here :) sheesh Tesla

I just picked up my car from the Dallas SC this morning after an MCU replacement and my app was also unresponsive as far as unlocking the doors. SC locked the key in my car for me to pick up so I didn’t have a choice but to wait for one of their employees to help. The guy who helped me described it as needing to “reset the token”, he brought a laptop out there and I was good to go in 5 minutes. According to them it cannot be done OTA but can be done mobile if needed.

Mine is a 2013 P85 and they just replaced it with a 1004740-10-A MCU under CPO warranty. Got a free LTE upgrade :) Hope this helps.

so having same issue - been 2 days chatting iwth tesla on the service messaging section of app - I just let them know "reset MCU commands key" phrase - it sounds like mine's been escalated to higher tech support.

For whatever reason, Tesla insisted on sending a Ranger out to connect to my car to do this. Perhaps they can't always do it remotely. I didn't care how they did it, as long as it got done.

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates
update: yeah finally it fixed remotely! Took a week and lots of chatting on the "messages" section once you create an appt. The person who fixed it from the virtual diagnosis team (based out of Pomona, CA in my case) called it the "remote security reset" and I did have to delete my app and re-install it and now all functions of the app are working including opening trunk and unlock which had stopped working.

update: yeah finally it fixed remotely! Took a week and lots of chatting on the "messages" section once you create an appt. The person who fixed it from the virtual diagnosis team (based out of Pomona, CA in my case) called it the "remote security reset" and I did have to delete my app and re-install it and now all functions of the app are working including opening trunk and unlock which had stopped working.
My unlock stopped working somtime last week, I just thought it was a bad update.

Reactions: cybergates
My unlock stopped working somtime last week, I just thought it was a bad update.

that's what I thought too - as I'm pretty sure it WAS working OK after the MCU2 update (whereas most of this thread is where it isn't properly setup after the MCU2 update). Anyway, Tesla pushed the firmware update again and then another update to me via the service chat - that didn't fix it so they escalated it as above and it took little over a week to get it working finally.

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
I had my MMC go bad and was told it was too corrupted to recover my settings. The new MMC was installed as a new user with no settings. I later noticed I no longer had unlock or trunk access from the mobile app. Only flash lights, honk horn, vent roof, and climate control. Opened up a ticket with Tesla and they were not able to fix it remotely. I was scheduled to bring my car in to the shop on Monday with a $275 diagnostic fee. Last night, I found this discussion with the "reset MCU commands key" possible solution. I messaged Tesla through my ticket last night to try this. An hour later I had full access through mobile app. Tesla Motors Club FTW !! =)

I had my MMC go bad and was told it was too corrupted to recover my settings. The new MMC was installed as a new user with no settings. I later noticed I no longer had unlock or trunk access from the mobile app. Only flash lights, honk horn, vent roof, and climate control. Opened up a ticket with Tesla and they were not able to fix it remotely. I was scheduled to bring my car in to the shop on Monday with a $275 diagnostic fee. Last night, I found this discussion with the "reset MCU commands key" possible solution. I messaged Tesla through my ticket last night to try this. An hour later I had full access through mobile app. Tesla Motors Club FTW !! =)
If you didn't know about the "reset MCU commands key," $275 would be a rip-off fee!