Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unadvertised differences between model Y performance vs LR? 11/2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could keep the LR and install a LED Bar instead, there are many models available on Amazon.

that's a ridiculous comparison - its comparing dipped beams with a full on "I don't give a crap about who is in front of me" light.
Try that in Texas will just get you shot at.
There was some dumba$$ round here who added lasers to his main beams - he didn't last long...
The whole point of matrix lights is to control the light so it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic.

Reactions: bjhinkle
that's a ridiculous comparison - its comparing dipped beams with a full on "I don't give a crap about who is in front of me" light.
Try that in Texas will just get you shot at.
There was some dumba$$ round here who added lasers to his main beams - he didn't last long...
The whole point of matrix lights is to control the light so it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic.
Hi @Twiglett , I totally agree with the issue regarding other vehicles comming in the opposite direction.
But the major concern from the OP @uicandrew was the encounter with deers.

If you listen to Bjørn Nyland comments, he got installed those Bar LEDs
because in Norway and Sweeden this is a typical accessory used when driving at night.
a little bit like for example in other countries Fog lights are customary.

Do not make a decision just based on the matrix headlight. if it will delay your delievery and you had a pre increase price then just keep your current MY. I have both Plaid (non-Matrix) and MYP and I can tell you the normal lights are fine. The Matrix light as of today as Tesla did not still fully activated all the adaptive features are maybe 10% better.

The normal lights are great. People want the matrix lights but I don't think they make that much of a difference in actual use ... especially driving on an Interstate with cars everywhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: blinkme323
For me, I drive a lot of unlit county roads at night with deer running by….. that’s where I’m coming from in terms of wanting matrix
@uicandrew I do a lot of such driving, and I'm not gonna lie...the matrix lights in our 2021 Model 3 are great for it. Easily the best headlights of any car I've owned, though that isn't saying much, I've never had any kind of premium headlights before.

On the flip side, I've read the previous (non-matrix) Model 3/Y headlights are quite good too (I never owned an older 3/Y), and some people prefer the smoother light distribution. Granted those lights will never have adaptive functionality, but there's no sign of getting that with the matrix headlights either. The auto high beams on the 3/Y are TERRIBLE, they're a joke, they constantly flash at cars ahead of you and at oncoming traffic. I can't imagine Tesla is anywhere close to getting true adaptive functionality working, even if the US NHTSA has a framework for allowing it now.

I hope to take delivery almost 2 months from now….. with the already existing inconsistency of LR +/- matrix, it seems like LR with matrix may be getting more rare.

It might be like a trying to find a unicorn in 1/2023…. I might be leaning towards MYP just to be sure.

I think all MYPs (late 22 and 23) now come with Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires. They are very good highly rated tires. They must also have the comfort ride as I drove one (an 11/22 model) the other day and compared to my June 22 MYLR it rode better, quieter and with more compliance.