Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncork Impact on Efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that it's been a short timeframe since uncorking began. But, has anyone with a newly uncorked MX 75D seen any obvious impact, better or worse, on your energy efficiency? Is the efficiency constant line on the energy display still showing 320 Wh/mile?
Thanks.

If Tesla is listing the new faster 75D rolling off the factory at the same 237 miles then it means no change right?
It may, or it may not. If the 237 miles is based on EPA validation, it may mean that they don't want to go through EPA testing again. Or, it could mean that uncorking has absolutely no impact on efficiency.
Call me jaded after 14 months of ownership and software updates, but I am very sensitive to unintended consequences these days. ;) It would be nice to get my car uncorked, but I don't want it if there is a mileage penalty.

I'm ok with 50 miles range if I can say "Engage" and go to Warp 9. :)

Efficiency is going to be a matter of physics. Pedal to the floor pre uncork is going to be more "efficient" than post uncork. This is due to maximum power draw for acceleration.

If you granny it up from 0-60 on both pre/post cars it would have the same mileage most likely.

• Funny
Reactions: tizio
It may, or it may not. If the 237 miles is based on EPA validation, it may mean that they don't want to go through EPA testing again. Or, it could mean that uncorking has absolutely no impact on efficiency.
Call me jaded after 14 months of ownership and software updates, but I am very sensitive to unintended consequences these days. ;) It would be nice to get my car uncorked, but I don't want it if there is a mileage penalty.

There will be a penalty if you gun the car. If you ease into acceleration, it ought to be no difference.

I'm ok with 50 miles range if I can say "Engage" and go to Warp 9. :)

Efficiency is going to be a matter of physics. Pedal to the floor pre uncork is going to be more "efficient" than post uncork. This is due to maximum power draw for acceleration.

If you granny it up from 0-60 on both pre/post cars it would have the same mileage most likely.

Is that a Tesla granny or a regular granny? I'm inclined to agree with you, the physics of power loss dictate efficiency.

Tyres will likely suffer a little as well when you use the grunt.

That said, more interesting would be if you frequently avail yourself of the additional grunt, whether that impacts your battery life significantly or not.