Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under A Year Left On My 2018 S75D Lease...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and I am kinda torn, mainly because although I still love my car and there is nothing wrong with it, the Model Y looks a bit tempting plus I already have a low-number reservation for my real lust-inducing object, a Cybertruck Tri-motor.

But the lease expires too early - in March of 2021 or about 10 more months - so I will be left without a Tesla for maybe a year before the CT becomes available (I am around number 4,000 in line if the sequencing theory on CT reservation numbers is accurate) and I don't want to get a Model Y for only a year (would lose my A$$ big-time selling after just one year) ...

I guess I could just pay off the residual on my S75D next March (about $52,500) and sell it a year later when the CT comes available? Although I might still lose money ... but at least it has EAP so the FSD upgrade for me if I kept the car would just be $4000 rather than $7000...and I've only driven it a total of 16,500 miles over the past two years including two long distance (Vegas to Reno) Supercharging trips (yeah I'm old and retired) so the car was hardly driven.

So what do you folks think I should do?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Very brave or foolhardy to take a very early production Tesla. Especially one so vastly different and experimental. No way Tesla nails this when their demo even failed with the window.

Now I've got a reservation too and I think eventually it will be the best option but give them at least 6 months of churning out mistakes before you toss your hat into the ring. So maybe you'll want to budget more time that you (or Tesla) thinks before deliveries of something a real consumer would want begins.

Very brave or foolhardy to take a very early production Tesla. Especially one so vastly different and experimental. No way Tesla nails this when their demo even failed with the window.

Now I've got a reservation too and I think eventually it will be the best option but give them at least 6 months of churning out mistakes before you toss your hat into the ring. So maybe you'll want to budget more time that you (or Tesla) thinks before deliveries of something a real consumer would want begins.

Hmmm, how much time do they allow a buyer to "delay" delivery? Like what some did on their Model 3 reservations for varying reasons.

I just went through (...continuing to go through) a similar mental exercise, except my timeline is sooner, July this year. Several here helped me go through the pros/cons. Ideally I'd get a Y, but am also concerned about early production models. Plus, I don't know how this virus will impact delivery, quality, etc. CT seems to have extra hurdles, since it is 100% new (vs. the Y being based on the 3), and I just read it may be re designed a bit.