Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarriage mat hanging down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove through a very small puddle while doing about 35-40mph and both the front and mid aero shield panels ripped and are hanging down. Tesla service is trying to charge me $400+ to repair the two - what has everyone's experience been with this? This seems to be a very well known issue and it should be covered under warranty.
by front, do you mean the plastic piece in front of the fabric material?

They told me the same thing, but i opted to get just the fabric part replaced.

I took delivery on March 2021. Car was assembled in Fremont and still had the cheap wool cotton blend undercarriage material. I guess I should be thankful I at least have my radar.

You can purchase aluminum ones after market, if you really want to use your car as a boat.

Or you live in Seattle, where the freeways flood with about 6 inches of water and you have no choice but to plow through it. If the undercarriage doesn't rip off, I guarantee you they'll eventually grow mold or some other fungi.

Anyhow, I ended up installing the aluminum panels from RPM and tossed the wool cotton blend in the trash.

Yup these can be had directly from the Mainland China factory for about half (including shipping to lower 48) of what RPM charges without shipping.

That's great, but how does average Joe even buy stuff directly from the Mainland China factory? I hope you're not going to say Alibaba.

Last edited:
Or you live in Seattle, where the freeways flood with about 6 inches of water and you have no choice but to plow through it. If the undercarriage doesn't rip off, I guarantee you they'll eventually grow mold or some other fungi.

I’m actually not convinced this scenario will rip them. There has never been an answer on what scenario rips them, exactly. No one ever has video of the events... I've always thought it is some combination of loose bolts, excessive speed, and excessive water depth (or massive ice and snow build up on top, of course - the wheels can dump snow on top of the cover), but could be wrong; maybe they just rip spontaneously with the least provocation. But if you’re driving through six inches of water you should be going very slowly, freeway or not. And preferably not doing it.

I am from Oregon so I’m aware of the situation on freeways there. I’ve never had to drive through six inches of water on a freeway, even in Southern California (that would be a major safety hazard!). But of course unusual situations can arise (blocked drain, etc.). But typically you'd be crawling through them.

Yup these can be had directly from the Mainland China factory for about half (including shipping to lower 48) of what RPM charges without shipping.
Thats very possible. And how long for shipping from mainland China? I wanted mine right away and had them in less than a week from the day I ordered them. Yes I payed extra for it, and I knowingly made the decision to do so. But thanks for letting me know I could of purchased them cheaper and waited much longer for the slow boat from China. How about providing some information for these same items but half the price? Not to prove anything to me, but to give other people a choice to wait longer and pay less? Instead of the "you payed to much for the same thing", lets be productive, informative and help each other out. The topic is people's undercarriage mats are ripping apart and falling off, I believe I resolved mine before I had an issue and shared my information to try and help.
Half price with shipping? Lets see these sweet deals...

Ripped undercarriege aeros have been a thing since mid to late 2018, after the first winter/spring/fall cycle of the early production cars and their rev.1 fabric aeros.

Anyone can find and negotiate the prices with these sellers if they so choose and want to spend the time OR pickup locally from US resellers, pay for next day shipping etc.

And yes, shipping from China took a few weeks back in Feb/Mar. Boxes arrived on the East Coast in April.

Whether someone pays x or y is irrelevant here. What does matter, is there is a difference between a reseller earning a profit and scalping. And we have seen plenty of the latter.

How does a front/back set shipped to California warehouse and then on to North Eastern US @ $380 vs $ 662.50 (or $530 with latest discounts) sound?

Even at this price, given the quality, its a bit overpriced for what it is. Tesla tax.

Ripped undercarriege aeros have been a thing since mid to late 2018, after the first winter/spring/fall cycle of the early production cars and their rev.1 fabric aeros.

Anyone can find and negotiate the prices with these sellers if they so choose and want to spend the time OR pickup locally from US resellers, pay for next day shipping etc.

And yes, shipping from China took a few weeks back in Feb/Mar. Boxes arrived on the East Coast in April.

Whether someone pays x or y is irrelevant here. What does matter, is there is a difference between a reseller earning a profit and scalping. And we have seen plenty of the latter.

How does a front/back set shipped to California warehouse and then on to North Eastern US @ $380 vs $ 662.50 (or $530 with latest discounts) sound?

Even at this price, given the quality, its a bit overpriced for what it is. Tesla tax.
Can You or anyone else link the Alibaba AliExpress RPM equivalent? I ended up buying the front piece from RPM because I couldn't find it on AliExpress... (After ripping mine over a tire at 65 mph)

And aside from AliExpress (thx for sharing that for those looking for it), you can find the same and similar now on eBay motors and Amazon:

Speaking of, its powdercoated aluminium, circa 10lbs total (front and back combined), comes with think layer of closed cell foam and can be sandwiched with the OE fabric aeros underneath (just need two longer screws with washers in the back).

Attachments

• 20210615_154004.jpg
    20210615_154004.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 20210615_153927.jpg
    20210615_153927.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210615_151239.jpg
    20210615_151239.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 110
And aside from AliExpress (thx for sharing that for those looking for it), you can find the same and similar now on eBay motors and Amazon:

Speaking of, its powdercoated aluminium, circa 10lbs total (front and back combined), comes with think layer of closed cell foam and can be sandwiched with the OE fabric aeros underneath (just need two longer screws with washers in the back).
Are they not making these for 2018s? All listings I’ve seen say 2019-21 ONLY.

Ski

I opened up an issue on the Tesla app. Driving home I heard a scratching sound. Center of the rear cover torn down like a flap about 12" wide. I have a 2019 M3. Made an appointment for next week. Waiting to hear back as to what they will do as to the cost of the replacement.
So the Delray service center sent me a quote to replace the rear undercarriage cover. The price of the quote was $429.10. What are they smoking there? I'm halfway between Ft Lauderdale and Delray SC. I may just drive by the FTL SC tomorrow and see what they can do. For that quote, I can buy the aluminum one and self-install it for a lot less money. All for an obvious design flaw.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I just installed the aluminum ones myself. Ordered from RPM Tesla. Ordered 4/29 and received 6/20. I got both the front and back. Back one installed quickly and easily. I left the front OEM one on and installed the new one over it. I could not get the two nuts on the front to install with both on. I am going to remove the original and try again or figure out how to install an "extension" to make it work as is. I am not sure if I even need the two nuts with the aluminum plate.

I really like the new plates. My oem rear cover tore while blasting through some standing water. The new plate is not going anywhere. 2018 LR RWD model.

Reactions: Skione65
I just installed the aluminum ones myself. Ordered from RPM Tesla. Ordered 4/29 and received 6/20. I got both the front and back. Back one installed quickly and easily. I left the front OEM one on and installed the new one over it. I could not get the two nuts on the front to install with both on. I am going to remove the original and try again or figure out how to install an "extension" to make it work as is. I am not sure if I even need the two nuts with the aluminum plate.

I really like the new plates. My oem rear cover tore while blasting through some standing water. The new plate is not going anywhere. 2018 LR RWD model.
I'm thinking about the metal ones too. I see they are available under $400 for both from many suppliers now. There's a local shop in South Fl looking to do a group buy and will include installation for $400.

Also, as to the SC visit, they thought I needed both. Just the mid one is about $220 installed. I held off on that. My zip tie repair is so far holding OK. I asked them what the cost of the part was and they told me $165. The funny thing is when you look on eBay, people are selling used ones for $150 - $200. WTF?