Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarriage mat hanging down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried the plates yet and if they noticed a difference in the sound? Im pretty sure the 3rd option on this link is the same one RPMtesla sells but at half the price and am considering biting the bullet on them
I saw one of those Ali links and they had the choice of manganese steel or aluminum. The price is excellent on them. The Rpms are aluminum with a layer of thin foam stuck on them. I didn't notice any sound difference on my 2020 with 20's and 255 wide tires, but another person here said he did notice an improvement in sound on his 2018 with 18's. Whole bunch of variables that could effect the sound/road noise so its hard to say. I also had the plastic shields not the fiber ones. Good luck.

I purchased a set of aluminum ones with foam backing. I haven't installed them yet but they seem pretty nice. I should get around to installing them soon. Paid $385 with the tax on eBay. I bought it from a US reseller so I wouldn't have to wait weeks to get it. The one on AliExpress looks the same. They are cheap but the shipping is expensive. Unless you plan to buy several sets, I'd rather get them from a US Reseller in a few days.

Reactions: Rmchrger
So I took the car into the Tesla SC in Dania Beach. They replaced the crappy fiber piece with a plastic piece. Told me the hub caps are $25 each and they would order them.

I have a mobile repair at my work on June 30th to get my dashcam working (2nd attempt by tesla to figure out the problem but that's another post) on the 30th and the tech will bring the hub caps and wipers.
Did the Dania Service center replace the aero shield under warranty with the plastic shield?

So I took the car into the Tesla SC in Dania Beach. They replaced the crappy fiber piece with a plastic piece. Told me the hub caps are $25 each and they would order them.

I have a mobile repair at my work on June 30th to get my dashcam working (2nd attempt by tesla to figure out the problem but that's another post) on the 30th and the tech will bring the hub caps and wipers.
Did they replace the plastic aero shield
under warranty?

I don't know what is this, but its at the bottom of the 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR car at driver side. To me it seems a clip kind of plastic. Does anyone know that how to fix it?

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 77
From the looks, it appears to be some sort of inspection or access cover. The two plastic tabs on either side is probably meant to keep the cover snapped in place (compression fit). With the right one twisted about 35 degrees from original, you may have some trouble getting that side back up. Furthermore, the slots in the bottom of the car seem too thin to fit the tabs as they are now. Possibly they should be straight instead of having a 90 degree bend.

The plastic hinge appears to be more than half torn so it's probably only a matter of time before it completely breaks and falls off (if the clips fail to hold it in place).

For now, I would probably use some very sticky duct tape to keep the cover in place and contact Service and see what they say. I doubt that it would be covered by warranty, as something like this probably means you hit something on the road.

edit: Went out to my car (2018 LR RWD) and found a couple of these access covers on both sides of the car near the rocker panel.

Passenger front access cover down:
bottom_access_cover_small.jpg

Inside the access cover:
bottom_hole_small.jpg

Last edited:
From the looks, it appears to be some sort of inspection or access cover. The two plastic tabs on either side is probably meant to keep the cover snapped in place (compression fit). With the right one twisted about 35 degrees from original, you may have some trouble getting that side back up. Furthermore, the slots in the bottom of the car seem too thin to fit the tabs as they are now. Possibly they should be straight instead of having a 90 degree bend.

The plastic hinge appears to be more than half torn so it's probably only a matter of time before it completely breaks and falls off (if the clips fail to hold it in place).

For now, I would probably use some very sticky duct tape to keep the cover in place and contact Service and see what they say. I doubt that it would be covered by warranty, as something like this probably means you hit something on the road.

edit: Went out to my car (2018 LR RWD) and found a couple of these access covers on both sides of the car near the rocker panel.

View attachment 891495

Inside the access cover:
View attachment 891496
Thank you very much ! I took the car to Dublin CA center today without an appointment and pulled one of the service advisor to look at it. One of the socket was closed by just pushing and another one is broken. As per him, the service floor should be able to fix it. The front tire was changed by Tesla few weeks back due to slashing of the tire by some stupid person in parking lot at San Francisco. Seems the Tesla Technician either forgot or did not know how to close it causing it. I took an appointment to explore if Tesla would be able to fix it.

Thank you very much ! I took the car to Dublin CA center today without an appointment and pulled one of the service advisor to look at it. One of the socket was closed by just pushing and another one is broken. As per him, the service floor should be able to fix it. I took an appointment to explore if they can fix it.
Looks to me like it was probably defective from the beginning (not sure how else these things got bent so badly). I would guess it was just jammed in place in the factory and then of course it eventually popped open. Hopefully they’ll replace the whole plastic piece for free.

It’s a trivial piece so should be no problem for them.

Looks to me like it was probably defective from the beginning (not sure how else these things got bent so badly). I would guess it was just jammed in place in the factory and then of course it eventually popped open. Hopefully they’ll replace the whole plastic piece for free.

It’s a trivial piece so should be no problem for them.
These plastic pieces are part of the long plastic trim panel and won't be replaced individually, but Tesla might replace the whole trim panel that is below the rocker panels. Personally, I would bend the one deformed tab back into place and just snap the piece back in. Then if needed, would use some outdoor-rated black tape to hold it. It's not like anybody can see that area anyway.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I doubt that it would be covered by warranty, as something like this probably means you hit something on the road.
The front tire was changed by Tesla few weeks back due to slashing of the tire by some stupid person in parking lot at San Francisco. Seems the Tesla Technician either forgot or did not know how to close it causing it.
Or that :) . If Tesla Service is willing to accept responsibility for either not installing the cover properly in the first place or due to their actions when they serviced your car last, so much the better.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
These plastic pieces are part of the long plastic trim panel and won't be replaced individually, but Tesla might replace the whole trim panel that is below the rocker panels. Personally, I would bend the one deformed tab back into place and just snap the piece back in. Then if needed, would use some outdoor-rated black tape to hold it. It's not like anybody can see that area anyway.
Yes. (This is what I meant by “whole plastic piece.”) Should be trivial for them to replace.

No reason not to. New car, no need for tape.

I never had my scraped one replaced which was noted at delivery four years ago, and they owed me a replacement which I never bothered with, so @AnujT can have mine. Let the service center know.

View attachment 891495

Inside the access cover:
View attachment 891496
There should be a bolt in there to help secure the rocker panel. That bolt is replaced with a longer one when you install Tesla's mud flaps.

I'm not familiar with the installation of the mud flaps but the access cover I posted was pretty far back from the wheel well on the passenger side. It's raining here at the moment but when it's dry again I'll look under the other covers (my car is parked outside on my driveway).

I’m on a good run of bad luck this month. Curb rash, flat tire, broken windshield and now this.

Backed out of my garage and started to drive today and instantly sounded like I was dragging something. Stopped and looked and I’m dragging some type of plastic undercarriage protector. Looks like maybe I ran over something and it shredded. Who knows. Just not sure if it’s safe to drive as I figure out how to get dealt with. Anyone have this happen and know what this is gonna cost me? It’s in the rear of the car between the rear wheels.
Happened to me but in the front. I’m also looking for the same answer