TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Undercoating ... Coming from ICE....

Discussion in 'Model X' started by B8BB8B, Jun 9, 2016.

1. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

SO living in Alberta and coming from an ICE vehicle, undercoating is usually a best practice when purchasing a new vehicle.

I have never been under one of these vehicles so I have no clue how the rust, wear and tear can happen underneath.

First off, has anyone ever put undercoat on their Tesla and second, would it be a good idea to ween off rust ( if the underside rusts or not )

Let me know!

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Undercoating is still a thing? I thought it was just a dealer scam to add profit to the sale, and they stopped doing that scam years ago as they have better ones now.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Aren't the Model S and X all aluminum? Also isn't the bottom plate titanium? Not sure we have to worry about rust at all.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I second that, it was a dealer scam

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The bottom of the Model X (and S for that matter) is a solid sheet of metal (steel, aluminum, some titanium, with a plastic coating I believe). There are no nooks and crannies for water, salt and grime to sneak in and hang out while oxidation/corrosion occurs. So, undercoating is not necessary. Another advantage of an EV.

• Like x 2
  6. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

#6 ccutrer, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Of a Tesla. Not all EVs are so streamlined. When I open the hood of my coworker's LEAF it'd be hard to convince me there really isn't an ICE in there somewhere!

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. GottaGetRidOfICE

I dunno. When I brought my X into SC complaining that the accelerator pedal creaked when moved and needed some lubrication (or so I thought), SC reported that debris had accumulated next to the titanium plate and was causing the creaking. I don't know, but they removed the debris and the noise went away. So, some nooks and crannies must exist. Undercoating is still a scam, just sayin'

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

while there could be places where debris could accumulate the metals used are not prone to corrosion and do not need any extra coatings for protection from the elements.