Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undersized inverter with my new Tesla Solar panels installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that's right - I have one 3.54kW system on my East roof and another identical system on the West. My roofs are at a 32° pitch and are facing 121° and 301°. They're not flat.
A little vector math elucidates the performance of your system:

Represent the orientation of a solar array by its unit normal vector N, with N1 and N2 for your two arrays. Represent the sun's location in the sky by the unit vector S. Then the fraction of full insolation on an array is just the dot product, S dot N (as long as that is positive, 0 otherwise). As the dot product is linear in one argument (N) when the other argument is fixed (S), the performance of the joint array is the same as a single array represented by (N1 + N2) (as long as both dot products are positive).

For an array with azimuth A (North = 0 degrees) and Elevation E (Level Panels = 0 degrees), the vector N is given by (cos(90-A)cos(90-E), sin(90-A)cos(90-E),sin(90-E)). Since your two arrays have azimuths 180 degrees apart, the resulting vector sum N1+N2 will be vertical, i.e. just (0,0,2 sin(58)) = (0,0,1.7).

In other words, if you wanted to run your array with a single inverter with two separate MPPT inputs (one for each roof), you could size the inverter as if you had a single array facing straight up of size 1.7 * 3.54 kW = 6.0 kW, using the usual DC / AC ratio practice regarding clipping.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
I do have an increased appreciation for how much location effects the 'ideal' oversize ratio. Someplace that has really hot summers should probably be oversized by ~1.3-1.5 while a more temperate location should probably be something closer to ~1.2.

Excuse the ignorance here, but why does this hold true?

Is it because the panels heat up and can't put out as much power?

'Cloud edge effect' is negligible for OCV. It's temperature that's the limiting factor. A really cold overcast day will see much higher voltages than a partly cloudy day. Cloud edge effect DOES need to be considered for ISC. I've seen a 20A fuse blow from 2 8A strings because of cloud edge effect (Which wasn't even required...)

Current is mostly sunlight dependent.
Voltage is mostly temperature dependent.

View attachment 318758

The inverter always controls current, so ISC is not critical (the inverter does not need to draw all available power, thus this under capacity question). As your graphs show, irradiance leads to higher OCV. The voltage swings will definitely be worse in winter which is the worst case for the edge of cloud situation:
Three Levels Of Solar Reliability
Edge-of-Cloud Effect, may not be what you think it is.

The inverter always controls current, so ISC is not critical (the inverter does not need to draw all available power, thus this under capacity question). As your graphs show, irradiance leads to higher OCV. The voltage swings will definitely be worse in winter which is the worst case for the edge of cloud situation:
Three Levels Of Solar Reliability
Edge-of-Cloud Effect, may not be what you think it is.

Here's an interesting real world example. The flatter top lines are voltage the spikey lines are current. Voltage barely budges when the sun comes out... This is a cold overcast day in February.

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 4.18.57 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px
Here's an interesting real world example. The flatter top lines are voltage the spikey lines are current. Voltage barely budges when the sun comes out... This is a cold overcast day in February.

View attachment 319576

Sure, if the inverter is running, the panel never gets to OCV. Rather, the inverter does peak power tracking where the panel stays near the same voltage as it varies the current/ power as the brightness changes. The damage occurs if the inverter is turned off/on while the edge effect is happening. The lower right section of the graph you posted.

Sure, if the inverter is running, the panel never gets to OCV. Rather, the inverter does peak power tracking where the panel stays near the same voltage as it varies the current/ power as the brightness changes. The damage occurs if the inverter is turned off/on while the edge effect is happening. The lower right section of the graph you posted.

My only point is that when sizing an array for VOC insolation or cloud edge effect isn't even a factor... only temperature.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I am in the same boat, bought 12.8kw of panels, Tesla only put in a 7.6kw inverter. Will be asking them to correct that mistake. Should be able in the summer to hit at least 10k with my setup, so would lose around 7,000 watts per day on a good day. That's not insignificant.

I am in the same boat, bought 12.8kw of panels, Tesla only put in a 7.6kw inverter. Will be asking them to correct that mistake. Should be able in the summer to hit at least 10k with my setup, so would lose around 7,000 watts per day on a good day. That's not insignificant.
I am also supposed to get a 12.8 system but they want to install the same as yours. 7.6 inverter. They told me I could go To a higher sister but that they wouldn’t add another inverter. I may just forget it and go with a local company.

I am also supposed to get a 12.8 system but they want to install the same as yours. 7.6 inverter. They told me I could go To a higher sister but that they wouldn’t add another inverter. I may just forget it and go with a local company.
I would read some of the rather extensive discussions here about efficiency and in particular about the putative losses for having an "undersized" inverter. For most of the owners here, the power (kWh/day) gain from expanding to a larger inverter from a 7.6kW inverter on a 12.8kW system has been on the order of 1-2% initially, and probably less than that over the system lifetime, I.e. unlikely to be worth the expense.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: nwdiver and h2ofun
I would read some of the rather extensive discussions here about efficiency and in particular about the putative losses for having an "undersized" inverter. For most of the owners here, the power (kWh/day) gain from expanding to a larger inverter from a 7.6kW inverter on a 12.8kW system has been on the order of 1-2% initially, and probably less than that over the system lifetime, I.e. unlikely to be worth the expense.

All the best,

BG
It may not be worth it but the ratio is 1.7 which is a little high. After talking with Tesla again I was told that even if I went with a 14.4 system I might not get a second inverter. I’m not sure that could really be the case unless all the panels were facing north. ( they aren’t)