Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding PGE/SVCE electricity bills/TrueUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything in less quantity will get costlier I think. Parts for ICE cars for example - scarcity increases prices, and fewer service techs working on ICE cars eventually will enable them to demand higher pay. See this to be relatable to why Tesla parts are more expensive and repair labor costs too - fewer parts made available and fewer shops authorized and trained to do the work. With fewer ICE cars on the road, can’t see how gasoline prices will come down.

Anything in less quantity will get costlier I think. Parts for ICE cars for example - scarcity increases prices, and fewer service techs working on ICE cars eventually will enable them to demand higher pay. See this to be relatable to why Tesla parts are more expensive and repair labor costs too - fewer parts made available and fewer shops authorized and trained to do the work. With fewer ICE cars on the road, can’t see how gasoline prices will come down.

At the rate Tesla keeps increasing the price of its cars, people will be paying $100,000 for a Model 3 by 2023 hah.

Reactions: h2ofun
They’re going to get you regardless. I’m sure if they can they will raise the monthly $10 rate for solar accounts to some exorbitant amount and you’ll be using more electricity switching over everything (plus people only have so much roof to place panels on). So EVs will be a growing electrical load on the system as well as all home heating, water heater and cooking. NEM is only for 10-years right? And they have other ways to increase fees. Loretta Lynch was saying right now all the gas line checks at people’s homes aren’t billed to them, instead we all pay for it through some other means. But if you’re in an area that has old houses the cost to replace those gas lines will be very costly and its going to come from someone, rate payers. While different utility, replacing aging water/sewer systems will be the same.
The ~$10 charge that NEM customers see is a universal minimum charge, regardless of whether you are NEM or not. People that have part-time occupied properties also saw that cost double from ~$5/mo to ~$10/mo during their unoccupied months.

NEM 1.0 and 2.0 are both 20 year terms from PTO. Of course, the OAS (Otherwise Applicable rate Schedule) is not grandfathered and PG&E changes $/kWh rates 4-8 times per year.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
You should ask Tesla about the off-grid performance of the 17kW solar system with 2 Powerwalls. If they clearly tell you that it will gracefully modulate the solar when the grid is down, then that is a reasonable way to go.

However, if you have the financial means to do the 17kW + 3 PW system, but go with a smaller system, you will probably regret it down the road. Doing any expansion of solar or adding PW is a massive hassle, if possible at all.
I checked with Tesla re my Design which is due for install next month and finally got a response, see below

Your design currently has two Powerwall +s. They are +s because both have a 7.6 kW inverter attached. Note that 7.6 + 7.6 = 15.2 < 17 kW. That is OK because inverters can be overdriven up to 170%. You can see on the diagram how each Powerall + is hooked up to a different set of panels on your roof. Each inverter can shoot out four different strings (usually one string for each mounting plane) to get the most efficient solar access.

I think are suggesting that the 17kW system with 2 PW is adequate and no need to go for a third PW, is my take correct?

I checked with Tesla re my Design which is due for install next month and finally got a response, see below

I think are suggesting that the 17kW system with 2 PW is adequate and no need to go for a third PW, is my take correct?
That response is not addressing the issue I was talking about. They are talking about the solar DC to AC ratio. I was talking about the solar AC power to Powerwall AC power capabilities. Two 7.6kW solar inverters with two Powerwalls (5kW each) is at the limit of Tesla's recommendation for solar to Powerwall. It is possible for the solar to overpower the Powerwalls when the grid is down. Adding a third Powerwall would ensure the off-grid stability of the system (7.6 x 2 ~= 5.0 * 3).

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
That response is not addressing the issue I was talking about. They are talking about the solar DC to AC ratio. I was talking about the solar AC power to Powerwall AC power capabilities. Two 7.6kW solar inverters with two Powerwalls (5kW each) is at the limit of Tesla's recommendation for solar to Powerwall. It is possible for the solar to overpower the Powerwalls when the grid is down. Adding a third Powerwall would ensure the off-grid stability of the system (7.6 x 2 ~= 5.0 * 3).

Did we ever learn if the new Tesla inverters with the Powerwall+ setups will de-rate the house is off-grid and the home & PW's cannot accept the AC output of the inverter?

Did we ever learn if the new Tesla inverters with the Powerwall+ setups will de-rate the house is off-grid and the home & PW's cannot accept the AC output of the inverter?
I suggested above that he try to get that answer from Tesla, but they answered a different question. In theory, it should be very easy for a Powerwall + system to curtail the solar gracefully within the capabilities of the Powerwalls and the home loads when the grid is down.

Just received my NEM true-up for 2021... $37.73 before the California Climate Credit of ($17.20) = Net Annual Electric $20.53

2022 will not be as advantageous with the transition from E-6 and the elimination of the retail rate credit for excess generation.

But you have Powerwalls right? Those should broadly offset any TOU pricing differential you experience by leaving E-6. And if you charge your neighbors like $0.25 per kWh to charge an EV instead of being a net generator, you'll still come out ok :)

• Love
Why won't you get retail rate for excess generation?
Post #208 upthread, SVCE is changing their compensation model for excess generation to a less generous one - approx $0.06/kwh....
Correct, here are the terms of the new SVCE rate program.

Starting May 2022, SVCE will pay two times the net surplus compensation rate (NSC rate) per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of any excess solar that is produced and put back onto the grid. The NSC rate is based on current market prices. The rate averages around 3 cents per kWh and varies each month. The means you will get paid more for excess solar with SVCE than if you were with PG&E’s bundled service. Income-qualified customers will receive additional compensation with a pricing 2.5 times the NSC rate per kilowatt-hour.

This change will only affect NEM customers that generate surplus electricity on an annual basis. The majority of NEM customers will see no change in their service. Until April 2022, SVCE will continue to pay customers at the full retail rate for any net surplus generation.

Just received my NEM true-up for 2021... $37.73 before the California Climate Credit of ($17.20) = Net Annual Electric $20.53

2022 will not be as advantageous with the transition from E-6 and the elimination of the retail rate credit for excess generation.
But you have Powerwalls right? Those should broadly offset any TOU pricing differential you experience by leaving E-6.
And if you charge your neighbors like $0.25 per kWh to charge an EV instead of being a net generator, you'll still come out ok :)
Great idea... the free market at work. ;)

1636425350296.jpeg

Correct, here are the terms of the new SVCE rate program.

Starting May 2022, SVCE will pay two times the net surplus compensation rate (NSC rate) per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of any excess solar that is produced and put back onto the grid. The NSC rate is based on current market prices. The rate averages around 3 cents per kWh and varies each month. The means you will get paid more for excess solar with SVCE than if you were with PG&E’s bundled service. Income-qualified customers will receive additional compensation with a pricing 2.5 times the NSC rate per kilowatt-hour.

This change will only affect NEM customers that generate surplus electricity on an annual basis. The majority of NEM customers will see no change in their service. Until April 2022, SVCE will continue to pay customers at the full retail rate for any net surplus generation.

Ah, excess on an annual basis. You still get retail credit for your NEM. I assume SVCE is a CCA?
In my area, we are getting opted in to a CCA. In my case, there are zero incentives to switch so I'm going to opt out to PG&E as much as I hate to say that.

Ah, excess on an annual basis. You still get retail credit for your NEM. I assume SVCE is a CCA?
In my area, we are getting opted in to a CCA. In my case, there are zero incentives to switch so I'm going to opt out to PG&E as much as I hate to say that.
Correct, Silicon Valley Clean Energy is a Community Choice Aggregation (CCA).

Correct, Silicon Valley Clean Energy is a Community Choice Aggregation (CCA).

Are your rates/bills actually lower than PG&E? In my case with the new CCA, the Peak and Partial Peak rates are lower, but the Off Peak are much higher. I have solar and powerwalls, so I use virtually no Peak. My bills would go up

Are your rates/bills actually lower than PG&E? In my case with the new CCA, the Peak and Partial Peak rates are lower, but the Off Peak are much higher. I have solar and powerwalls, so I use virtually no Peak. My bills would go up
SVCE rates are fractions of a cent per kWh less than PG&E after all the extra fees PG&E puts on CCAs. The energy they procure on behalf of their customers is carbon free and if you elect to the Green Prime $0.008/kWh surcharge, it is 100% renewable.

There is no valid reason to opt out of SVCE in my opinion. Your CCA may be different.