Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unique door handle issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello -
I own a 2020 MS. I’ve read a bunch about issues with door handles.

In my scenario, the driver handle door doesn’t present (as I’ve read many times) and the rest of the doors DO present…HOWEVER, when I touch the driver handle or door glass etc; the door auto opens slightly allowing me access. Does anyone else have this problem? I’m not using the door handle to open (as it won’t present), but the door will actually crack open on its own.

Btw - this started happening last week after tesla sent an over the air update becuase my app controls for the car weren’t working.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have two slightly different issue with my new 2022.
1 - The right front door handle would not close every time. Then later it would snap shut by itself. At first I thought something hit the side of my car while I was driving, until I notice it do the same thing in the garage. Sent in for service, now it makes a pop sound every time it opens. They adjusted it from too high to too low. They going to attempt to fix again on Monday (sigh).
2 - The right back door handle, and the actual door, opens by itself when I open/close the trunk. Happened three times in the last month since I got the car. SC could not repro the problem. So likely to happen again :-(

I wonder if your handle needs height adjustment? Odd that your issue started after update.

The paddle gear; yes a common issue. I've replaced a couple on my 2013 myself. When it happened to my front left door, I used a plastic card (credit card) to pull the handle out then I could use the handle to open the door - after unlocking the car of course. Release the handle and it springs back in.

This paddle gear has to be about the least expensive part Tesla sells. I bought mine in 2018, for $1.22 + tax. I bought 2. I used the second one last year on a rear door.

Hello -
I own a 2020 MS. I’ve read a bunch about issues with door handles.

In my scenario, the driver handle door doesn’t present (as I’ve read many times) and the rest of the doors DO present…HOWEVER, when I touch the driver handle or door glass etc; the door auto opens slightly allowing me access. Does anyone else have this problem? I’m not using the door handle to open (as it won’t present), but the door will actually crack open on its own.

Btw - this started happening last week after tesla sent an over the air update becuase my app controls for the car weren’t working.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Let me understand something. Does your door handle not present because it is broken and needs servicing?

Update: I had a Motor tech out who replaced the handle. He said there is an arm on the gear that are sus to breaking. Sounds like that was the issue.
This is good to know. Wait until the rest start failing like they have for me. This will become quite a burden unless you have nothing but time on your hands. I'm having issues with a failed door handle right now. I've had all of mine replace multiple times and it is still an issue. Glad to hear that Tesla took care of you. So far, I'm having issues.