Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock Charge Port - Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just in the UK? I've not experienced that and simply push the button on the handle to be able to pull it out.
In Europe we have the option for tethered and untethered cables. For the untethered you bring your own cable, which is supplied with the car (Reduces maintenance / thefts for the charger owners), which is why you generally want to keep the cable locked to the car

Reactions: zoomer0056
In Europe we have the option for tethered and untethered cables. For the untethered you bring your own cable, which is supplied with the car (Reduces maintenance / thefts for the charger owners), which is why you generally want to keep the cable locked to the car
I think at least originally, there was an electrical reg issue where tethered was deemed illegal for AC chargers located outside, hence the need for a female socket on the charger side for T2.
And now, less vandalism & cable cuts I'm sure

Yes, I believe it is simply breaking the pilot lead.
Also, unrelated, but has an RF transmitter for opening the charge flap at a distance.
I thought it also needs a phone/fob in the vicinity for "the button" to work so there must be some additional comms with the car going on. The Chargeking Tesla cable website states this is a requirement and that this is the same as at Superchargers. (I wouldn't know because at Superchargers I always have my phone with me so have never tried without.)

I thought it also needs a phone/fob in the vicinity for "the button" to work so there must be some additional comms with the car going on. The Chargeking Tesla cable website states this is a requirement and that this is the same as at Superchargers. (I wouldn't know because at Superchargers I always have my phone with me so have never tried without.)
Absolutely true. To prevent any kind of d***head from unplugging your car.
But interrupting the pilot lead will nevertheless stop the charge momentarily (without releasing the cable).
And the RF transmitter to open the charge port works no matter what.
So it's just to unlock the cable that the car performs an additional check of (if key is present=also release cable)

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado