Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock Charging Port Button Doesn't Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
So, I have a unique situation where I think there's a bug in the M3 controls.

I currently have both a 3 and an S, the S is leased and will be getting returned in about 3 weeks. Right now, the 3 sits in the garage, and the S outside.

Because of this, I haven't been using the button on the charging handle of my HPWC because pushing it will open both charge port doors on the 3 and on the S. I've been using the app or the display to open the charge port door on whichever vehicle I need to charge.

In the morning, when the 3 is fully charged, I need to remove the HPWC from the 3. Pulling up the charging screen has a button in the upper right corner to unlock the charge port. However, this button doesn't seem to do anything -- pressing it does not unlock the charge port. I always have to actually unlock the charge port from the app.

Can anyone else confirm? I'm on firmware 2018.10.5.

How far apart are the S and 3 that the handle opens both? I didn't think the signal traveled that far. Even if it opened the door on the S as well when you only wanted to open the one on the 3, would't it auto-close after a few seconds? Not perfect but might avoid the issue.

Can't comment on the possible bug, but have you tried a reboot/reset?

How far apart are the S and 3 that the handle opens both? I didn't think the signal traveled that far. Even if it opened the door on the S as well when you only wanted to open the one on the 3, would't it auto-close after a few seconds? Not perfect but might avoid the issue.

Can't comment on the possible bug, but have you tried a reboot/reset?

The 3 is parked nose-in in the right-hand garage bay, the S is out on the driveway, parked nose-out on the left-hand side of the driveway. This places both charge ports in proximity to the center pillar between the garage doors, which is where the HPWC connector is. This is apparently close enough that both vehicles respond to the button press on the charging handle.

I would think the S would close the charging port after a few minutes, but I went outside one morning after I had plugged in the 3 using the button the night before, and the S's charge port door was still open.

I have rebooted the center screen of the 3 a few times for other issues, but the bug persists.

I will try the button on the handle again tonight and see what the S charge port does.

OK, so the S charge port did close after a few minutes this morning when I pressed the button to remove the charge handle from the 3. I don't know what happened the other morning where the S charge port was left open, but it apparently is not doing that now.

I still have the unresolved bug where the unlock charge port button on the screen doesn't work, however.

The exact same is happening with me. The TM3 is my only EV so no confusion over vehicles. I can't unlock the charge port on the main onboard screen. I have to use the phone app to do it.

Have to throw in a "Me too" on this one. Only Tesla in the garage, and even when I just stepped out of the car - maybe the door isn't even closed (troubleshooting steps to see if I could figure out the trigger) - and the button doesn't work. I have to use the button on the phone app to open the charge door.

It did work previously. I had a black screen while coming out of a store, did a reboot, and it hasn't worked since.

Have to throw in a "Me too" on this one. Only Tesla in the garage, and even when I just stepped out of the car - maybe the door isn't even closed (troubleshooting steps to see if I could figure out the trigger) - and the button doesn't work. I have to use the button on the phone app to open the charge door.

It did work previously. I had a black screen while coming out of a store, did a reboot, and it hasn't worked since.
I normally use the app as well before unplugging my model 3 in the morning but today the car wouldn't wake up in the app so I got in to unlock the charge port from inside. I sat there trying to figure it out and then called roadside assistance. While trying to explain it to him, I notices that in addition to the big button at the top that says "Unlock Charge Port", there is a little lock icon next to the picture of the car near the charge port and that actually unlocked the port. I think the big button is only telling you need to Unlock the Charge Port, but doesn't do anything else. It's very confusing - hopefully they will update a future version.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc