Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking A Tesla With A Samsung Galaxy Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I go out to get something from my car and doh! realise half way there I have forgotten my phone.

My Samsung Galaxy 5 Pro watch has both NFC/Bluetooth can this be used without adding a third party app to unlock drive the car?

Anyone accomplished this?.....would love to find a guide.

Reactions: WalkQuickly
Sometimes I go out to get something from my car and doh! realise half way there I have forgotten my phone.

My Samsung Galaxy 5 Pro watch has both NFC/Bluetooth can this be used without adding a third party app to unlock drive the car?

Anyone accomplished this?.....would love to find a guide.
I don't have a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, but my guess is you need a third party app. After all the phone key requires the Tesla app to be running :)
As far as NFC goes, there are a load of different tags and security protections so you can't just copy a NFC key and my guess is that the car requires a specific NFC tag before it can be added as a key.
There are free Android apps for NFC reading / writing, so you can look at apps like NFC Tools.
Just for background i am an Android developer and have worked with both Bluetooth and NFC.

Reactions: as400
Samsung Galaxy 5 Pro watch has both NFC/Bluetooth can this be used without adding a third party app to unlock drive the car?
It looks like it is possible because of NFC. Add watch just like a ring or fob. Follow the link for setting up key fob for instructions.

There is a video of this guy opening with galaxy. Update on this page once done.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240602_180127_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240602_180127_YouTube.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Informative
Reactions: as400 and KennethS
Hi @meavydev , thanks for that link above! Do you happen to know if the Tesla Android implementation of NCF uses a Secure Element? Or is it using Host Based?

Thank you!
The Tesla NFC key reads as this screenshot from NFC tools, so given it has JCOP then it has a secure element.
My guess is you would need a secure element in the HCE.
Of course the Tesla app as a key is mainly using Bluetooth, although the Highland cars with iOS iPhone 11 and above can also use UWB.
I've never tried using Android as a Tesla NFC key, so I don't know for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240603-154100.png
    Screenshot_20240603-154100.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: tzgator
The Tesla NFC key reads as this screenshot from NFC tools, so given it has JCOP then it has a secure element.
My guess is you would need a secure element in the HCE.
Of course the Tesla app as a key is mainly using Bluetooth, although the Highland cars with iOS iPhone 11 and above can also use UWB.
I've never tried using Android as a Tesla NFC key, so I don't know for sure.
Thank you for the details and explanation, I appreciate it!

Reactions: meavydev